Clear all

Use of a resistor for sonic balance ?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@diceman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Before I ask the question let me just say this : I know just enough about electronic devices to get me in trouble . So here is my question ...

Is it possible to match the output of a high frequency driver to the woofer in a speaker enclosure by the addition of a resistor to the "hotter" component's wiring ?

I have a monitor cabinet that I upgraded by swapping the piezo tweeter with a crossover and horn setup . Only problem is , the horn is much more efficient than the woofer and the treble overpowers the bass . It is an 8 ohm speaker that handles 200 watts RMS . The crossover is a 1.5k unit that does not have separate output for the woofer so I'm sure that the woofer also trying to reproduce the same frequencies as the horn driver has something to do with the increase in treble volume . Any help in determining what resistor and what power rating it should have would be greatly appreciated (if it can be done that is) . I have seen "l-pads" as a solution to this type of problem but they are expensive and don't usually handle the power found in a PA cabinet . They also add weight , which I prefer not to do in a portable speaker . Thanks in advance !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

An L-pad would probably be your best bet to adjust the level of the HF driver without messing up the impedance.

Here are some that aren't too expensive
The wattage rating on the L-pads indicates how much power it can absorb, so you should be safe with one of the 100W units.

If you are pushing a full 250 watts from the amp, the L-pad would have to be almost cutting the power to the HF driver in half before it might start stressing the L-pad.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote