Valveking Head Tube Question

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 J_Ck
(@j_ck)
Topic starter  

Hey...

The band I'm in isn't practicing for awhile so I brought my guitarist's heads home with me since I bought them and I was playing around with one of them and I noticed that the tubes sometimes glow blue and whenever it does this the sound quality gets kind of muddy and less articulate like there is a whole lot of bass being ran but it only does this when the lead channel is on, the clean isn't affected at all...

I'm not playing at high volumes so do you think that could be the cause or does it sound like I may need to replace the tubes?

I haven't got the other one out to see if it does it too but I might later on...

Also, I should mention that when put in standby mode the blue glow disappears...

Thanx

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The blue glow is normal. Doesn't have a thing to do with the sound. It goes away on standby because the plate voltage is off, and electrons are no longer accelerated to miss the plate, hit the glass and make it fluoresce. The fluorescence will pulsate as you play in a Class AB amp. It may not come back after you switch to standby and back on, because the plate voltage takes some time to build up. As electrons hit the glass with insufficient velocity to knock out secondary electrons, a negative charge builds up that repels other electrons.

Here's a page about the blue glow: http://members.aol.com/larrysb/blue_glow.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 J_Ck
(@j_ck)
Topic starter  

Thanx, that website was helpful, I looked it up but didn't really find anything that was helpful so that's why I thought I would ask...

As for the sound being different, maybe it's just me being paranoid...lol....

Anyway, thanx again...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I'll bet it's OK. :D

Geeky kid that I was, at junior high sock hops I loved to hang out behind the guitar amp and watch the blue tube glow pulsate. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Since it was mentioned that the amp 'heads' were brought home, could it be that there is a difference in speaker impedance between the home speaker cab and the ones at the rehearsal room?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Geeky kid that I was, at junior high sock hops I loved to hang out behind the guitar amp and watch the blue tube glow pulsate. :lol:

I thought I recognized you ;)

I was the one standing at the side/back of the stage going "Wow, I can't hear the guitars so well back here, but I sure can hear that bass!" :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I thought you looked familiar ;)

I was the one standing at the side/back of the stage going "Wow, I can't hear the guitars so well back here, but I sure can hear that bass!" :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, then there was Martin sitting on top of the gym mats with Sharon, making out. "How'd he get that going?!"

(The blue glow I could figure out.)
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There was always a 'Martin.' For me it was...the Football Guy sitting with The Girl on those push-in bleachers.

I'm thinking it might've had more to do with the incessant, throbbing, undulating, rippling affect of the bass part of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Yah, of course - that's what it was. No doubt. For sure, that was it.

Yep.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Did they ever play anything else at those things? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

No, were they supposed to? :lol:

Oh yes, that's right: slow dance was always Chicago's Color My World.

Total elapsed time for those two would pretty cover their entire gig. :roll:

ReplyQuote