Clear all

Vox Pathfinder 15R problem?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'll admit to really knowing nothing about Amps, I got this one for both my electric and acoustics, and today thought I'd plug in my new Classical.

There is a couple of knobs on it that control gain and volume, aren't they the same thing? I can't seem to get a good sound out of it for my guitar. My son did knock a very lightweight tri-pod on top of it, but it seems to be built like a brick on top so I can't see that damaging it, I also hear a rattle inside when ever I set it down, is that a problem as well? I don't hear buzzing when playing unless it's my cable that's cutting out. I've got 2 Samson 1/4" cables and had to swap them out since I was getting static

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Volume is for the sound level (more or less loud). Gain is for controlling the clean/overdrive level. So, for the classical I'd put the gain to 0 (clean) and move the volume to your level.

When I'm using similar amps, I always set the volume to my "max volume" and the gain to the "amount of max dirty" and I change the guitar knob while playing, cleaning the sound and lowering the volume.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

In a way gain and volume are the same thing, but they affect different stages in the amp. Basically gain is controlling the drive level or overdrive of subsequent stages by one of the first stages. Volume is controlling the output level you hear.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I noticed that no matter what I have to have the gain at least a 1/4 of the way up before I get volume to work, I don't know if thats a problem with the amp, or just what this one requires. After that the volume controls are good. There is a switch to turn the overdrive on and off so maybe that's why. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stop making "tapping" noises everytime I touch a string, no matter how lightly.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Tapping noises? Perhaps a bad earthing? Any source of noise near to the equipment (computer monitor, TV, etc.)?

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I mean you can hear my fingers touch the strings no matter how lightly i touch them. I think it was because they were knew. It doesnt sound like that anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like what you can get with just about any amp with a fair amount of gain and presence. I used to despair of ever being able to play an electric guitar without lots of finger noise. It gets better.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote