Clear all

Vox Pathfinder versus Epiphone Valve Junior

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I need some advice: I'm getting an amp and I've narrowed it down to these two. I play classical, classical rock, blues, shred, jazz. I like tube tone. I have an ibanez s470dx. I practice in my bedroom. I know they are pretty different amps. I don't gig.

What is your recommendation? Do you need any more information to help me? thanks,

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't know a thing about that Vox. I do have a Valve Junior, of which I'm quite fond, and it will cover that musical range well. However, at what I consider "bedroom volume," it is very clean. If you crank it up into distortion, it's loud. I think the "bedroom" playing is where master volumes are actually quite useful. Have you looked at the (recently discontinued) Epiphone Galaxie 10, which Musicians Friend has recently been blowing out at a very attractive price?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That Vox is a transistor amp and falls in a different group of amps then the Epi. Besides, the succesor to the pathfinder has hit the streets not to long ago: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/vr_range/vr1530.htm

About $200 for the VR30r.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I need some advice: I'm getting an amp and I've narrowed it down to these two. I play classical, classical rock, blues, shred, jazz. I like tube tone. I have an ibanez s470dx. I practice in my bedroom. I know they are pretty different amps. I don't gig.

What is your recommendation? Do you need any more information to help me? thanks,

The Pathfinder 15 is a NICE amp, but if you're looking for something that will give you full bore metal distortion, it's not the amp for you. It's a fully solid state amp, and will give you a nice clean or an edgy, crunchy, kinda harsh distortion.

I put it through it's paces in the song I posted here: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=14815

All the rythym guitars are done with the Vox.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cool stuff...I think I'm going for the valve junior. Thanks a lot for your input

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You'll have fun with it. Gotta warn you, though: Last night I was playing with it turned about 1/3 of the way up, and my wife came in fussing at me to turn it down. May only be 5W, but it's pretty loud.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've had it for a couple weeks and it's impressive for the little amp that it is. It absolutely beats all my friends 10 and 15 watt amps in volume and it has a nice back end considering the size. It also is a beautiful and well constructed amp for the price..

It's tempting to turn it up and enjoy the overdrive (much to the annoyance of everyone else in the house) :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It makes my wife scream at me to turn it down, and my 17 year old guitarist boy complains about the noise. (That's due to my playing, of course.) :lol:

ReplyQuote