Clear all

Another new member... ;)

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@voidious)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey all - I've been reading the lessons and forums at the site here for a few weeks, so it seemed as good a time as any to introduce myself. I'm a mid-twenties Software Engineer that enjoys long nights Robocoding ( http://robowiki.net ), drunken Smash Bros, and planning my vacations so I can see Rush twice on the coming tour. =)

I played guitar for about 2 years in my early teens, was in a band, played tons of Nirvana covers, wrote some original songs, played at some school dances, recorded a terrible demo tape, and generally had a ton of fun with it. I thought I rocked, of course, but I really never got that good or tried to learn many new skills. I just started playing again 3 months ago and am absolutely loving it, learning all I can, practicing, and considering if/when I should start with some lessons.

I was blissfully ignorant, practicing every day on my beat up old Mexican Strat, until I visited the local guitar store this week. I'd been planning on getting something new in the next few months, but that turned into a few days when I realized just how much easier those decent / new guitars were to play. After several trips to the store, my PRS SE Custom will arrive in a couple weeks. =) I feel like I disobeyed a golden rule about playing a guitar before buying it, but every PRS I played felt great and I just really wanted the Custom over the Santana SEs they had (which would've been my choice from what they did have).

Impressively positive, open, and knowledgeable community you have here, I'm glad to have found it. That "What you've learned" thread is gold, too.

-- Voidious

-- Voidious

Posted : 30/05/2007 1:07 am
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome voidious 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 30/05/2007 1:13 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Voidious! See you around! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/05/2007 1:42 am
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN Voidious!

Posted : 30/05/2007 2:14 am
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member

Welcome to GN, Vodious!

comign from another Newbie ^^ ;)

Posted : 30/05/2007 2:39 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Voidious.

It's never too soon to start taking lessons.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums and seeing some pics of your new PRS when it arrives. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 30/05/2007 5:50 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Voidious
I'm a mid-twenties Software Engineer ...

After several trips to the store, my PRS SE Custom will arrive in a couple weeks. =)

Ahh, the joys of being an IT Pro with a hobby. :) Congrats on the new guitar and be sure to post pics when you get it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/05/2007 9:26 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Voidious,

Another Software Engineer here. Curiously I also build and control robots, my robots are real robots and they aren't for war (I think). Currently working on helicopters and also on snake-like robots. I saw you mention some "soft computing" techniques in the wiki. Mainly we use evolutionary methods and reinforcement learning, also neural networks and fuzzy control.

Ok! Let's talk about guitars and chords! :D

Welcome to GN! 8)

Posted : 30/05/2007 9:29 am
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Welcome aboard Voidious from one newbie to another.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 30/05/2007 10:11 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Voidious!

Hope the PRS is everything you expect and more - never even seen one in the flesh, so to speak, much less played one. I've never seen anything but nice things written about them, though.....let us know how you get on!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/05/2007 12:40 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

It is so cool to have another PRS owner amongst us. 8) Congratulations on your latest purchase. I know you won't be disappointed.

Welcome to GN!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 30/05/2007 12:40 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Voidious. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 30/05/2007 4:15 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarnNoise, Voidious! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/05/2007 4:23 pm
(@runswithscissors)
Eminent Member

welcome!

How can you tell the stage is level?

The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth!

Posted : 30/05/2007 4:43 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome Voidious, its never to early or to late to start taking lessons.

Posted : 30/05/2007 9:08 pm
Page 1 / 2