Notifications
Clear all

Can ya stand another n00b?

27 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Hi. I'm new to guitar and have been reading the posts and info here at guitarnoise and am very appreciative of the fact that this site even exists. Good stuff! :D

Anyway, I've only been seriously practicing for the last three weeks or so - I purchased a Yamaha FG700s with which to practice and have spent many happy hours strumming/plucking away at it. Despite the abuse I mete out upon it in my ham-fisted/-handed/-fingered approach to learning guitar, I love practicing and have managed to master a few riffs, most of the major chords, and am working on my chord changes and mastering the minor chords.

Additionally, because I am a teacher and am helping a friend of mine to record his efforts to teach physics using guitars, I will soon be earning an electric guitar.

The good: It's free and I get to choose either a strat or tele.

The bad: It's a kit and I have to put it together myself (but my friend is a luthier, so he can probably keep me from screwing it up too badly).

The ugly: It'll need to be painted, so I have to either design my own paint job to give to still another amigo, or let it be unfinished wood.

Finally, to whomever runs this site: thanks. Lots of good information that has been of tremendous help to me in my quest to learn something about playing guitar. :D

Illegitimus non carborundum.

Posted : 24/08/2006 3:50 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 24/08/2006 9:04 am
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Hey There and Welcome to GN.

Congrats on the free guitar. You will find great advice on the 'Guitar Repair & Maintenance' board. Keep us updated with the project though and what if any paint job you decide on.

See you around.

-Pet

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 24/08/2006 9:45 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to us

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 24/08/2006 10:06 am
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Welcome

From a fellow newbie i can't see any fault in you being here.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

Posted : 24/08/2006 10:09 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Brgminicooper! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/08/2006 5:25 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/08/2006 6:37 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

I was speaking to my coworker today about the choices. I can choose from a strat or tele. Any input there? The hardware looks cheap, so I'll probably be replacing a good portion of it no matter which one I choose.

As for paint, I dunno. I love classic rock, so something evocative of that era would be great. However, I look like a bit of a biker (big goatee, long curly hair that hangs between my shoulders, a few tattoos - picture Mikey from American Chopper and you've pretty much got me), so I'd like it to be a design that fits my "image." Further, I'm definitely interested in unusual cars, trucks and motorcycles, as you can probably tell from my screen name. I'm also an English teacher who works with "at-risk" high school students, so I'd like it to be something that they could see me playing. I want nothing that I would be embarrassed to show to my mom. Because of my interest in classic cars - Mini Coopers in particular - I was thinking about something in British racing green and white. However, I am also open to old hot rod (flame job) and rat rod (flat black) paint jobs.

It also occurred to me that I could have it painted a light color, then get a Sharpie (or paint pen?) and write some of my favorite poems, quotes, etc. on it, thereby fulfilling my desire to have it reflect my love of language and literature.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a friend who runs an autobody shop, so I can probably get him to paint it for me. Nothing too complicated, though...

Illegitimus non carborundum.

Posted : 25/08/2006 1:38 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome!

Cool signature! 8)

Yeah, I googled it. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/08/2006 3:03 am
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

I was speaking to my coworker today about the choices. I can choose from a strat or tele. Any input there? The hardware looks cheap, so I'll probably be replacing a good portion of it no matter which one I choose.

As for paint, I dunno. I love classic rock, so something evocative of that era would be great. However, I look like a bit of a biker (big goatee, long curly hair that hangs between my shoulders, a few tattoos - picture Mikey from American Chopper and you've pretty much got me), so I'd like it to be a design that fits my "image." Further, I'm definitely interested in unusual cars, trucks and motorcycles, as you can probably tell from my screen name. I'm also an English teacher who works with "at-risk" high school students, so I'd like it to be something that they could see me playing. I want nothing that I would be embarrassed to show to my mom. Because of my interest in classic cars - Mini Coopers in particular - I was thinking about something in British racing green and white. However, I am also open to old hot rod (flame job) and rat rod (flat black) paint jobs.

It also occurred to me that I could have it painted a light color, then get a Sharpie (or paint pen?) and write some of my favorite poems, quotes, etc. on it, thereby fulfilling my desire to have it reflect my love of language and literature.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a friend who runs an autobody shop, so I can probably get him to paint it for me. Nothing too complicated, though...

Wow you're like, my favourite person right now.

Classic Rock, tattoos, Brit fetish and a love of Sharpies.

I really like the racing green idea and the Sharpie idea (maybe that's just my fetish for Sharpies, I don't know).

I've always wanted to customize my strat, but never had the nerve to do it. If I did, I would like to strip the current paint, taking it back to bare wood.

Then find a professional willing to carve a tattoo like design into the body, I haven't decided wheather to go for a tribal like design or something more swirly girly, but I would like a design that flowed nicely from front to back.

The paint job; I would like it to refelct the depth of the carved design without it looking like it's just been painted on.

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 25/08/2006 9:00 am
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member

Welcome to GN fellow newb!

"I face myself, to cross out what I've become
erase myself, and let go of what I've done"
- Linkin Park

Posted : 25/08/2006 10:03 am
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Welcome,
My wife had a BRG Cooper (Old style)!!
Can you use any paint packages like photoshop etc?
You could get a couple of pics of each and try out designs there to see what you like (my avatar was done that way!), I could even do some for you, what music do you likewant to play?
I'd try a BRG body with 2 white stripes (Old Cooper racing colours) with a b&W checkerboard pickguard?

Posted : 25/08/2006 5:51 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Welcome BRG:

I am in Colorado Springs, only about an hour away. I would be happy to assist you in your new journey with the guitar. I am an amateur luthier (of sorts) - I enjoy working on my guitars, but I have never tackled a paint job. Either I am too chicken or I have no patience for painting! But, I would be very interested in your project. Let me know if I can help.

I own both a Strat and a Tele - both are great guitars; it is just a matter of personal preference for sound and feel. My advice, is to go to GC and play both. In general, Strats have a more blues/blues rock sound and teles have more of a "twang." I know that doesn't help much, but think of your favorite guitar players and what they play and how it sounds.

I also own a Yamaha acoustic. Mine is the FG730s. Makes some really pleasant sounds!

Posted : 25/08/2006 6:47 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

a quick mess about

Posted : 25/08/2006 6:58 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Looks nice, Jim. But maybe red, instead of green?

Posted : 25/08/2006 7:19 pm
Page 1 / 2