Notifications
Clear all

Can ya stand another n00b?

27 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

British Racing Green is his name and his preferred colour though ;)

Posted : 25/08/2006 8:04 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Ready for a novel of a post? Here it comes!

Margaret:
Welcome!

Cool signature! Cool

Yeah, I googled it. Laughing

Thanks. I read that years ago and decided it fit me really well. Ever since, I've made it something of a personal standard. :D

Pet:
Wow you're like, my favourite person right now.

Classic Rock, tattoos, Brit fetish and a love of Sharpies.

I really like the racing green idea and the Sharpie idea (maybe that's just my fetish for Sharpies, I don't know).

Thanks - you're not bad yourself. :D

biker_jim_uk:
Welcome,
My wife had a BRG Cooper (Old style)!!

Old style is the only way to go. Issigonis got it exactly right the first time. The new BMW/Chrysler monstrosities are silly. Anyway, about your wife's car: 850? 1000? 1100? 1275? Not a 1380, right?! 10" wheels? 12"? 13"?! Can you tell I need/want a Mini in the worst way? I think my wife and two kids might preclude the purchase, though. Seriously, if I could have any vehicles I wanted right now, a Landy five-door, a built Mini Cooper, and a Triumph Bonny would be right near the top of the list. Just to shake things up, though, I'd have to include a Pinzgauer 4x4 with a soft top (710K, I think...)
Can you use any paint packages like photoshop etc?

Not even if my life depended on it...
I could even do some for you, what music do you likewant to play?

Not coincidentally, my favorite band of all time (Led Zeppelin) is quintessentially British. I also tend to favor The Who, Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Cream, Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, The Beatles, The Doors, the Dead, Janis Joplin, SRV, Neil Young, Steve Miller, Dave Matthews, Metallica, Yonder Mountain String Band, Winter Sun, Death Angel, SOAD, Blues Traveler, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, 7Mary3, Johnny Cash, and loads of other artists, both classic and modern. To say my musical tastes are diverse is probably an understatement...
I'd try a BRG body with 2 white stripes (Old Cooper racing colours) with a b&W checkerboard pickguard?

I like that! And your rendering is dead on. Maybe I could combine a couple of my ideas and do that on the front, but do my literature stuff on the back? What do you think?
I own both a Strat and a Tele - both are great guitars; it is just a matter of personal preference for sound and feel. My advice, is to go to GC and play both. In general, Strats have a more blues/blues rock sound and teles have more of a "twang." I know that doesn't help much, but think of your favorite guitar players and what they play and how it sounds.

Due to this and a few other things I've learned, I think the Strat is my guitar. I've been looking at upgrading the tuners to Gotohs (locking) and would like a decent amp, as well. Even though I'd like a tube amp, I'm not married to the idea. We teachers don't make much money and those suckers can get expensive. I'll probably just get a decent digital practice amp and call it good.
I also own a Yamaha acoustic. Mine is the FG730s. Makes some really pleasant sounds!

Glad to hear another endorsement for the Yamahas. I really like the noises mine makes when I'm not hurting it. :lol: Anyway, my ultimate goal is to have one of the cheaper 335 clones, like an Ibanez Artcore. My wife says that I have to wait, though... :lol: In all honesty, she's probably right.

ColoradoFenderBender:
Welcome BRG:

I am in Colorado Springs, only about an hour away. I would be happy to assist you in your new journey with the guitar. I am an amateur luthier (of sorts) - I enjoy working on my guitars, but I have never tackled a paint job. Either I am too chicken or I have no patience for painting! But, I would be very interested in your project. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks, FenderBender. Fortunately, the teacher I am working with is also an accomplished luthier, having attended a luthier school and built several guitars for himself, as well as having repaired innumerable guitars. However, I am always up for meeting new guitarists and making new friends, so if ever you are in the south Denver/Castle Rock area, let me know; I'd love to meet up and make a new acquaintance. Can I consult you, though, if I don't wish to make a pest of myself with my coworker?

Once again, thanks for the warm, warm welcome; I can tell that I'm gonna have some fun here. :D

Illegitimus non carborundum.

Posted : 29/08/2006 1:50 am
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

BRG:

Feel free to call on me, anytime. One thing you will learn, is that guitarists love to talk about guitars with other guitarists. Call it a fraternity thing. I am willing to help or talk whenever you want. I get to the Castle Rock/ South Denver area about once a month or so. I would like to meet, grab a beer and talk guitars.

Mike

Posted : 29/08/2006 3:22 am
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Glad you liked it, and you could do what you want, it is your guitar after all, though maybe some lit on the front might work?

Posted : 30/08/2006 11:27 pm
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

And GREAT music taste as well!!

I think the ideas you have are wonderful, buuuut (and there's always a 'but' folks) I think the two on one guitar would be a tad overwhelming. Plus no-one would see the 'lit' on the back. Personally I find one theme per guitar is more than enough to make an impression, and it gives you a perfectly good excuse to buy more guitars....

After searching the internet for "British Racing Green" Fender Strats, they all looked too light to be BRG and found more sucess by entering "Dark Green" Fender Strat. I have to say, now I'm really tempted to buy a BRG Strat myself *drool*.

I also found a site that does Strat pickguards in both the checkered and the 'Union Jack', wich was also another Cooper roofing classic. The flag would probably be too much for the classy green.

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_reg_pickguards_in_27479_prd1.htm

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_reg_pickguards_in_27483_prd1.htm

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 31/08/2006 3:23 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

brgminicooper wrote: Maybe I could combine a couple of my ideas and do that on the front, but do my literature stuff on the back? What do you think?

I like that idea a lot! I wasn't crazy about the lit on the front idea, only because it wouldn't "read" what it even was, from other than up very close.

But I think putting it on the back is cool. Only those who get up close and personal get to enjoy it, and only if you choose to share the more personally meaningful stuff.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 31/08/2006 5:52 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Thanks for the help on the pick guards. I was wondering how I would go about getting a really clean, crisp black and white grid on the guard; that may be my answer. :D

On to other questions, though: what can you guys tell me about amps? I think I'd like a tube amp, but I'm not sure. Any reason to buy one insteadof a digital amp? As youcould probably have guessed by now, I love the sounds that old British rockers make, but I don't know if a tube amp is necessary if I can get that same sound with a modeling amp.

Input?

Posted : 02/09/2006 2:58 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Well, I'm now building a Tele instead of a Strat and it'll be a natural finish instead of green/white. I'm hoping to eventually install BL pickups, a Q-Filter, a tortoise shell pickguard, and Fender custom shop hardware (bridge and control panel).

I'm also getting a used Line 6 Flextone Plus from a friend, so no tube amps for me. I've been practicing and learning a Norah Jones song. My thinking here is that if I can learn and play music the wife likes, she won't object near as much when it comes time for me to buy my Artcore AS73. :D

Posted : 24/09/2006 4:01 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I wonder where the priority line lies between wives and guitars...

Posted : 25/09/2006 4:30 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Obviously not married, then. 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 25/09/2006 5:52 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

I'm not sure exactly what that means...

But, to clarify, here they are in order of importance:

1. Wife and kids
2. Myself
3. Everything else

Does that clear it up? :D

Posted : 25/09/2006 11:12 pm
(@brgminicooper)
Topic starter

Well, finished the Tele and am currently learning a bunch of Christmas songs, as well as some songs out of a tab book that my wife got for me.

Finishing the guitar was an adventure. It frustrated me so many times and in so many ways that I am thinking about calling it "Almost"... that way I can reflect on how many times I almost smashe dit on the floor, ran it through my table saw, etc. :twisted:

I kid, of course, but believe me... it was frustrating... worth it in the end, though.

Posted : 15/11/2006 11:28 pm
Page 2 / 2