Clear all

Great Website and Forums!!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I have been playing guitar for 11 months now and I have been making good use of Guitar Noise (especially Easy Songs For Beginners).

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, I am 38 so a little bit of a late starter and the guitar is my first foray into anything musical ,so far I am loving it.
I have an acoustic (seagull) and an electric (strat) and enjoy them both. If I have any frustrations with guitar it is that I seem to bounce from thing to thing a lot and I don't know if it is good or bad. I get lessons 1/2hr per week and do my homework and I work from the lessons on Guitar noise a lot and i also find stuff in books that I work with. It seems like a lot when I list it but I don't know if this is typical or not. I never seem to finish stuff.

As for type of music lately I seem to be focusing on learning Blues from a book by David Hamburger and I am enjoying it. I also have a strong interest in classic rock and I want to be able to play for family/friends camping and at the cottage.

I enjoy the guitar noise site and hope to enjoy the forums as well.

Posted : 07/01/2009 5:17 pm
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Hi, RoundI, and welcome.

I can relate because I was a late starter, too- in my case I was 46 when I finally decided to get serious about learning after a few half-hearted attempts earler in life.

As far as wandering around- I think that's not unusual for someone who is still getting started and trying to figure out what direction to go. Once you dig into this, you find that the world of guitar is so wide open, there are so many things you can learn. It would be impossible even in several lifetimes to learn everything there is to know.

So, I would suggest forst do a little soul searching. How do you see yourself as a musician? What would you like to do? Do you want to sing and play solo acoustic, maybe write some of your own material. or do you perhaps want to be more of a lead player- a sideman in a band so to speak? And what genres do you like to play- rock? blues? jazz? bluegrass? classical? Once you have answered these questions for youself then you will know what to focus in on. David Hodge has an excellent article here at GN on goal setting. I can't remember the name, but it would be easy to find- look for lessons under the subject of "practice" or "goal setting". I reviewed this article recently and it helped me to solidify my goals for the coming year, which, by the way, I have posted in a thread on the "Guitar Players Discussion" board herein.

I know how it is- I studied lead guitar with a teacher for two years until I finally decided what I really want to do is to go more the singer/rhythm player/songwriter route. Even so, I have to say that the lead lessons benefitted me, even though I am not playing mucl lead guitar per se.

And again, welcome! And enjoy the ride!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

Posted : 07/01/2009 5:39 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/01/2009 7:13 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 07/01/2009 8:20 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/01/2009 1:01 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, RoundI! There's a high proportion of late starters here - and some of them have gotten to be pretty good in the last few years! Maybe it's something to do with being settled, or maybe us oldies have got the rock'n'roll fantasies out of the way (and the kids, as well!) and have got the time and the energy to spare...?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/01/2009 2:06 am