Skip to content
Hello, and a few wo...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello, and a few words on my new... er, my son's new '51.

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello all. I'm a 35 year old beginner. I haven't posted yet, but I have been lurking for the last 6 months. You don't know me obviously, but I recognize most you from your forum posts. I haven't posted because I'm too much of a noob too offer any good advice, and every question I have thought of so far has already been posted and answered before.

I bought my guitar 7 years ago and tried teaching myself to play. I was floored by how difficult it was. I thought I could just jump up and down, bang my head, and that great music would just flow out of the amp. It didn't quite work that way. Life got busy, and I quit playing for 3 years. This year, I decided to get back at it. I am using this site and some youtube lessons to try and learn again. I may take some real lessons later this year. Overall, it is going much better this time around. I'm still not very good, but this time I won't be quitting.

Anyway, I decided a couple weeks ago to buy a setup for my son. He is 15. He started playing my guitar about a year ago, but then quit playing. He said he would play if he had is own, but up until now, I have been too cheap to buy him anything. He is even cheaper than me, so the net result has been no guitar for him. Well, I finally broke down and bought him something. Based on information that I found on this forum, I decided on the following:

Squier '51. Purchased new on samash for $99.
Roland 2 W Micro cube amp, used on ebay for $65
Plus a cable and tuner from samash
Total cost = $194 delivered.

I was confident I wouldn't be disappointed based on what I had read here, and on harmony central and ultimate guitar. Still, I was blown away when everything arrived. The amp is perfect for him. In fact, I like his amp more than my 20 W Crate. I liked it so much that I bought one for me at a pawn shop. I think I may also like his guitar more than my mexican strat, but I am still in denial on that point.

So greetings, and thank you very much for the advice and tips that you have posted over the years. It is an absolute gold mine for beginners.

H

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:05 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to the asylum!
and just a suggestion on the denial thing, it can only be cured by buying more guitars. :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:11 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Welcome Big H .. is that H for Hawkeye? ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:19 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome from another Iowan.

We're going to catch the Wisconsin and Minnesota peeps soon.

Good job on the gear purchases, also. Yes we are a crazy bunch who love our guitars.....all of them.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:43 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

There are very good lessons in the site and a lot of tips in the forum.

Posted : 16/07/2007 9:24 pm
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Welcome Big H .. is that H for Hawkeye? ;)

Certainly not! I went to school in Ames. :)

Just a nick I picked up in hockey. It's easier for teammates to yell that than my proper name.

H

Posted : 16/07/2007 9:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Big H! Seems a lot of people are happy with their Squier 51's around here.....there's a thread in Guitar Players Discussion that's got so big, it's aiming for forumhood...or should that be forumship? Anyway, enjoy your guitar(s) - Lefty's right about the denial, it can be temporarily assuaged with more guitars and more amps....but once you've been bitten by the bug, it's there for life. Kind of like malaria, but not as painful. Except for your wallet.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/07/2007 9:57 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, BigH! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/07/2007 10:27 pm
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Seems a lot of people are happy with their Squier 51's around here.....there's a thread in Guitar Players Discussion that's got so big, it's aiming for forumhood...or should that be forumship?
Vic

I found that thread while doing my research. It is the main reason I decided on the '51.

H

Posted : 17/07/2007 1:13 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi BigH29. Welcome to GN. There's no time restriction on posting. Have fun and post away.

Denny

Posted : 17/07/2007 3:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/07/2007 9:25 pm