Clear all

Meet and Greet

142 Posts
84 Users
4 Likes
113.5 K Views
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

Hey wait a minute who's that band Lennon's playing with?  Is that Keef playing bass?  Mick Taylor on the gibson?  The drummer doesn't look like Charlie Watts.  Who are those guys?

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

Posted : 04/12/2003 2:34 pm
(@hugh_jarce)

I love that guitar!  Sometime I plan to own one.  He stripped the finish off it too -- said it made it play better.  But I think he first got the guitar in 66, maybe 65.  McCartney had one too.  
Very cool guitar.  
Here they are:

dunno who the other guys are but looks like a cool band.

mine has the natural finish like his, there is a revolution ltd edition one around that is supposedly exactly like the one he is playing, only difference is the headstock apparently.

anyway I love it, looks fantastic, feels lovely.

only complaint i have is some minor cosmetic flaws around the sound holes, but I aint bothered.

Posted : 04/12/2003 5:56 pm
(@boomshanka)
Eminent Member

Ah Ha....

If I'm not mistaken, that's a young Eric Clapton on the other guitar, with Mitch Mitchell on drums and Keith Richards on bass...

Is that about right, Musen..?

Posted : 04/12/2003 6:23 pm
(@hugh_jarce)

I wonder... there was some tv project to get guys like these together and play at one point, i read bout it, apprantly it was a failure.

might have been a whislte test thing but it was before my time.

might be that!

Posted : 04/12/2003 6:27 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Ah Ha....

If I'm not mistaken, that's a young Eric Clapton on the other guitar, with Mitch Mitchell on drums and Keith Richards on bass...

Is that about right, Musen..?

Yes, Lennon and Clapton on guitar, Mitchell on drums, Richards on bass.
December 11, 1968 at the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.   They did a kickass version of Yer Blues -- in my opinion the definitive version of it.  They also jammed to Ivry Gitlis (I think that's the name) on fiddle and Yoko on Yoko.  Also a cool jam.
Other acts included the Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull, and the Stones.  Lennon and the Who stole the show -- which is why the Stones didn't release the video or the CD until the late 90s, I believe.  Don't get me wrong, the Stones turn in a fine performance, but the Who and the Dirty Mac (Lennon's name for the group they formed) were incredible.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 05/12/2003 1:49 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Here's the review from the All Music Guide ( http://www.allmusic.com )

The most interesting archival release of the Rolling Stones since More Hot Rocks, 20 years ago, and the first issue of truly unreleased material by the Stones from this period. And the Stones have some competition from the Who, Taj Mahal, and John Lennon on the same release. Filmed and recorded on December 10-11, 1968 at a North London studio, Rock & Roll Circus has been, as much as the Beach Boys' Smile, "the one that got away" for most '60s music enthusiasts. The Jethro Tull sequence is the standard studio track, but the rest -- except for the Stones' "Salt of the Earth" -- is really live. The Who's portion has been out before, courtesy of various documentaries, but Taj Mahal playing some loud electric blues is new and great, the live Lennon rendition of "Yer Blues" is indispensable, and the Stones' set fills in lots of blanks in their history -- "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in one of two live renditions it ever got with Brian Jones in the lineup, "Sympathy for the Devil" in an intense run-through, "Parachute Woman" as a lost live vehicle for the band, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as a show-stopping rocker even without its extended ending (no Paul Buckmaster choir), and "No Expectations" as their first piece of great live blues since "Little Red Rooster." It's a must-own, period. --  Bruce Eder

I'd say he's got it right with the review.  And it's also available as a video.

-- John Lennon

Posted : 05/12/2003 1:56 am
(@psychosheep)

'Ello everyone.  I am Laina.  Fear me and all....

I live in Fredericksburg Virginia, possibly the most boring place in all of the world.  I play guitar and keyboards and write lotsa music, though most of the time I can never remember what I write.  *sigh*   ::)  My favorite bands are System of a Down, AFI, Placebo, Nirvana, No Doubt, The Exies, Slayer, Pantera, Silverchair.... errr... I'm gonna stop now or else I'll probably be rambling on for hours.   Heh.

Hmm... that's all I can think of right now.  If I can remember anything else, I'll add it.

I hope to get to know all of you... you all seem like lovely people.   ;D

Posted : 06/12/2003 3:48 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If I haven't already done so, I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the asylum!

-- John Lennon

Posted : 06/12/2003 9:47 pm
(@bejota013)

Hello All!

I've had a few posts on the site before, but have never introduced myself.  I'm BJ, I'm a midwest kid from Nebraska.  I've lived in Lincoln my whole life, love it there and love the music scene around us.  

I've been playing my acoustic Crafter for about 4 months now.  I'm taking lessons at the college I attend and have just had time to add guitar lessons to my schedule this past spring.  

Just want to say how amazing this site is and what an incredibly positive tool it can be for both beginners like myself and veterans of the instrument as well.  
Thanks to all who started this site!
-BeJota.

Posted : 09/12/2003 10:41 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi
I'm Ernie 43 yrs old live in San Antonio, TX. I got my first guitar when I was 13 but never learned how to play it. No one to teach me and I couldn't afford lessons.

3 yrs ago my stepson work the summer and bought himself a guitar, then last year my oldest son wanted one for christmas he lives in Oklahoma.

I paid for lessons and stuff for these guys but I could never get them to practice. So in Feb I bought me a Squire acoustic pack and told them I bet I learned before they did LOL.

I have alway wanted to play and with the help of this site and all the great people here Im beginning to get somewhere.

BTW the oldest boy sold his Squire strat and bought a bass, he now plays in a church band.

Posted : 11/12/2003 4:33 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Cool and welcome Ernie  ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 11/12/2003 5:07 pm
(@tamar)

Hi!  My name is tamar, I am 29 and I have been playing about a month.  I played clarinet a bit in jr. high; hated it.  Then I took up tenor sax 5-6 years ago.  I liked it, but not enough.  about a year ago, I started thinking about picking it up again, or maybe cello.  My husband talked about learning keyboard or jazz guitar.  I had absolutly zero interest in guitar, but I started thinking about getting one for my husband.  I found myself in a music shop in November...I am not sure what happened, but by the time I left I had a cheap acoustic (for him!!) and a new sense of freedom.  My husband has tried it exactly twice.  Me? I have been playing every (or nearly every) day.  I have most of the open chords down pretty well, I can play Bob Marley's redemption songs...slowly, same with Margaritaville.  I am getting the blues shuffle and barre chords.  I am still pretty slow, but Im sure that will improve with time.  This site has been a huge help! Thank you!

Posted : 12/12/2003 5:25 am
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Tamar

Welcome.  I noticed you mention Bob Marley's Redemption Song.  Have you heard the late Joe Strummer's version of it?  It's just him strumming it on acoustic guitar and singing it.  I'd love to learn it but my ear can't tell the chords.  Not sure how close it is to the original since I haven't heard the Marley version in a while.  Can you post the chords you use and how to play it (here or elsewhere?).   Maybe Mr. Hodge can add it to his fine collection of Songs for Beginners at some point.  ;D
Good luck with the playing!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 12/12/2003 5:15 pm
(@tamar)

No, I have never heard John Strummer's version!  Marley's "legend" CD is one of my favorites.  I have been using  a lesson I found at wholenote.com (under lessons, then reggae.)  

Posted : 14/12/2003 7:05 pm
(@meedley)

hello im lee, living in england originally from south africa, i play guitar and try to sing....lol, i have an ashton guitar peavy 15W amp, im 16 listen to altern rock/punk rock/grunge stuff, i like melvins, nirvana, babesintoyland, dezerter, mudhoney, i also listen to some rock n roll/blues chuck berry jimi hendrix, im a begginer i guess ive been playing for over 2 years just jamming to records and ive got a lot to learn songwrting practices ..etc.....i see i can learn alot here....
great site!!

Posted : 18/12/2003 2:48 pm
Page 4 / 10