Meet and Greet

142 Posts
84 Users
4 Likes
113.6 K Views
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 02/01/2004 9:57 pm
(@strat_nut)

Hello, my name is Steve.  I have been reading and learning these lessons and wonderful articles on Guitar Noise for over a year now and find it hard to believe that I'm just now joining the forum.  I am 40 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 16.  
    When I was 16, I got a job in retail to save up enough money to buy a used Epiphone acoustic and to pay for a few lessons.  The lessons didn't last too long for me.  I was learning at a much faster pace on my own than I was at my lessons.  I finally bought a Gibson electric guitar and amp and played that for years.  Well, what got me into music, ironically took me out.  I became a retail manager and had no time to play anymore.  I sold my guitars and never played for about 10 years.
    Marriage and a more stable lifestyle now afforded me the luxury of picking back up the guitar about 2 years ago.  I bought a Fender Stratocaster and a small amp and have been re-living my youth ever since.  With a new outlook on music, I now MAKE time to practice.  I sure wish I could turn back time and had not given up those 10 years of music, but I can only go forward at this point.  As long as God allows me the dexterity to play, I will never give up my music again.
    Anyways, these lessons and articles are tremendous.  I recommend this site to everyone I talk to.  Even though I've played for a good number of years, there's always something new you can learn.  A sincere Thank You for running this site and bringing music to our lives.

Posted : 05/01/2004 1:09 am
(@jsheeler)

Wow, what a place!
I have a about 5 months of playing under my belt (4 of these were 6 years ago  ) ???
So I guess you could call me a beginner.  I have an Abilene acoustic guitar which I believe is one of the many brands made by Samick.  

This site is full of so much information...what a tool for the budding guitarist.

Wish me luck in my quest to play.
;D

Jeff

Posted : 05/01/2004 5:18 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 06/01/2004 3:04 am
(@pacman)
Eminent Member

hey everyone my names dan im from chicago il and have been playing for about seven months. my inspirations are tom morrelo, kurt cobain, kirt hammet, jimmy page and john frushante ive loved playing guitar since the first day i bought my fender stratocaster i cant put it down and this site is helping me very much because every time i have a question some very nice person answers it . thanks to all of u guys and gals of guitarnoise.com rock on

Posted : 06/01/2004 8:59 am
(@wrathchild71)

wow this meet and greet thing is pretty cool, ive enjoyed reading the storys from everyone ive interacted with in the past,  and enjoyed meeting the new folks too!!
welcome all to the best sight on the net, my story follows...
    im a 32 year old seperated father of three great kids.
im a carpenter, and i live in upstate new york(a  little town called minerva) i like to think of it as the vacation spot for the rich, and the home of the poor ;)
i started teaching myself how to play guitar when i was 13 and found that it was pretty easy for me, so i spent the next couple of years jamming with friends. i was an ear player , most stuff i could play just by listening to it a couple times. well i met the woman of my dreams and dropped music like a bad habit.... and spent the next 12 years pining for another guitar.  finally on fathers day 2003 my wife bought me a jackson dmg dinky and a crate gx30m.
    i was in heaven,  for a while, and found myself in a rut soon after, so i came here seeking the advice of my peers. the people here have given me some great advice and while i have an evil aversion to theory, im taking it on one bite at a time.. can i have a halaluyah brothers and sisters... thanks for listening   wrath

Posted : 08/01/2004 11:49 pm
(@vic_van_damne)

Hello

I am called vic from central new jersey.

I was bequeathed a Yamaha acoustic by my cousin as she opted for one with nylon strings. I have been playing for a bit over few months  ;)

Currently, attempting to smoothly switch between different beginner chords. Pick up guitar as to lessen the disgust of a non-musical existence.

guitarnoise has been helpful. Cheers to Dave and other contributors.

:vic

Posted : 12/01/2004 10:34 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

8)

Yo!

I'm Alex from the Dallas, TX area.

Let's see... I'm 34.9 yrs old; happily married and have a kiddo.

I was involved in some "big hair bands" back in the late 80's and played by ear mostly then. I sold all my guitar gear to get into computer graphics in '92. A little over a year ago, I did some development and advertising work for http://www.rowanguitars.com and he "paid" me with 2 custom guitars! So I went and got me a marshall combo and some good effects to go with 'em. Woot.

I've been playing non-stop (relearning everything) for the last year. Recently I traded the Rowan customs for an Ovation s771-4 and a Peavey Wolfgang EXP. They aren't as fancy as the Rowans, but these guitars suited me better. Not to mention that I keep doing graphics work for Rowan and he'll pay me with another guitar in a few months -  ;D.

I have popped in and out of GuitarNoise.com for about six months and finally noticed the forums availability. Learned a lot. I also hit riffinteractive.com all the time. They have some amazing lessons as well...

Enough already. Glad to finally post a note. I'll see you online!

~A~

Posted : 12/01/2004 10:57 pm
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

My name's Paul and I live in Cincinnati.  I'm 43 and began playing 10 months ago when I bought my Seagull acoustic.  I've got to say that of all the guitar sites I have visited in my quest to learn this instrument, Guitar Noise is the best by far.

I'm at the point where I can play things that are recognizable to others.  I even had someone ask me to play my guitar at a party.  I don't know if they really wanted to hear me, or were just being kind.

I love playing everything from acoustic ballads to grungy power chords (on the new Strat my wife got me for Christmas).

One upside of learning guitar?  As I told my wife the other day, at least now when I play air guitar, I'm playing "real" chords.  ;)

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

Posted : 13/01/2004 6:07 pm
 kirk
(@kirk)

Alright, I have been roaming this board for a while now, and I haven't properly introduced myself.  My name is Kirk .  I am an 18 year old college freshman at Western Michigan University.  As of right now I am studying Aeronautical Flight Science(Pilot training program).  Flying is one of my favorite hobbies, second to playing guitar of course!  I like to play a wide variety of music.  Some of my favorite artists include Hendrix, CSN&Y, Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Tom Petty, and Pink Floyd to name a few.  I've been playing for about 7 years.  However I have never taken a guitar lesson, and am completely self taught(with the help of a few instructional books).  My setup consists of an epiphone les paul, an '87 fender strat, and a roland jc155 amp.  Up here at school I play mostly my acoustic.

I consider myself very fortunate to have found this site, and have found it to be a great help already.  Thanks to those who have already offered me advice, and to those who will in the future.

-Kirk-

Posted : 16/01/2004 6:21 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

YAY! Another inmate. Welcome Kirk. ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 16/01/2004 6:50 pm
(@deejay88)

Hey. I'm D.J. and I'm 15. I live in Oklahoma. I've been exploring and using this site for about half a year or so and its been really helpful. I finally decided to join a couple of days ago and this is my first official post as a member. You moderators and lesson typers keep up the good work! I'll see ya.
D.J.
1Tim4:12

Looking up,
D.J.

Posted : 03/02/2004 2:37 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi all.

I'm Paula, a 43-year-old reporter for a daily newspaper in Ohio. I sort of accidentally bought a guitar at an auction in November. (I think it was a midlife crisis kinda thing.) I'd never even held one before. I came home, Googled "online guitar lessons" and voila! Here I am.

I've almost become obsessed now. I find myself coming home during lunch just to practice. And I won't go to bed each night until I've run through the dozen or so songs I've learned from David's beginner and intermediate lessons. This is all particularly weird, since I have no aspirations for playing for anyone but myself!

Anyway, I now have two guitars! I like nylon strings for some things, and steel strings for others, so natch I needed two guitars so I didn't have to keep changing the strings.

Does GuitarNoise have a 12-step program or support group for folks like me? :)

Posted : 06/02/2004 5:13 am
(@rob-l)
Trusted Member

Speaking of nmid-life crisis, I've been accused of suffering one many times this past year as I took up playing guitar and got a convertible.  No mid-life crisis though; I've still got my wife, kids and job.  All the things that come with being 42 years old.  I've been coming to this site for about a year now but only became a member a couple of months ago.  This site is definitely the best of its type on the internet. I missed the first go around of the lessons forum and am looking forward to working through the lessons with others as we go forward.

Rob from Long Island

Well I got this guitar and I'm tryin' to learn how to make it talk.

Posted : 07/02/2004 4:27 pm
 cj17
(@cj17)

good afternoon all!! add me to the introduction as well...  my name is Craig and im 37 and live in southwest washington state near portland oregon.. im married with a 20 month old son. i decided a few months ago i wanted to play guitar. when i was about ten my older brother and i both received sears brand electric guitars. unfortunately they got me a right handed..well i attempted to play but gave up cause it just didnt feel right...well 27 years  later i have a LEFT HANDED seagull s6 and i love it.. i can change major and minor chords pretty well and barre chords seem to be going well too...the only problem i have is time...by the time we get my son to bed it doesnt leave me much time to play..although im in no hurry i sooo want to play well.. guess i will just play when i can and be happy with my progress.. i have always admired the electric players and most of my favorite tunes are from stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, robert cray, robben ford, jimmy page and the like...geez long winded here...but having a great time learning and am hoping to progress to being a decent player soon...thanks for a great site and nice to see lots of beginners like me here!!   ;)

Posted : 18/02/2004 8:47 pm
Page 6 / 10