Clear all

Newbee from NC

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@aluth23)
Topic starter

Hi All,

About two weeks ago my dad gave me his Morris acoustic guitar. (not sure of the year, its model A md-515, anyone know anything about this brand or model?) I've never played before but have found this site to be very helpful. I can play a few chords and the first few measures of silent night (thanks Dave!) I practice almost everyday for about an hour or what my fingers can handle, and even when they are killing me i find myself saying just one more time threw. I don't have any real music experience playing wise just a passion for the guitar. I love bands like Brandi Carlile, Ray LaMontagne, Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Damien Rice and of course the music gods, The Beatles. I was very happy to find the easy lessons and all the great songs that are listed there. I am currently trying to play A horse with no name, Hurt, and Silent Night. Let me know if this all sounds like a rational way to go about things:

I usually tune my guitar with Ap Tuner, it's a free windows program that all you need is a mic to use, i don't trust my ear yet. Here is the site if anyone is interested, handy little tool.
http://www.aptuner.com/

I play some scales backwards and forwards till i get bored with it, usually a few times threw

Now this is were i don't know if its a good idea or not, but i usually will start playing whatever i have gotten the furthest on, like a horse with no name, play that for awhile then when i feel adventurous i start to go forward with the other songs. Is this bouncing around a bad idea? Should i stick to one song a day and focus only on that? Any comments on what others have done. I want to be able to sit around and just play but i know that this first part of learning to do things right is the important part, how long did it take others out there to be able to really play a song? When should is start to see results i guess is what I'm getting at. Thanks in advance for any comments!

~April

"Remember when you were in the Beatles and you did that album Abbey Road and at the very end of the song, it went: 'And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make'. You remember that?
Paul McCartney: Yes.
Um, is that true? "

And I'm just fine with all my time
To live until I die~B.C.

Posted : 08/12/2007 2:21 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, April! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D Be sure to check out our Women's Forum, "The Other Side"! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 08/12/2007 10:10 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard, April!
Hope you enjoy your stay here at GN!
Cheers, katmetal :)

P.S. - Sorry, I don't have any info. on that model guitar...
a passion for the guitar That's all it takes, in most cases! Good Luck!

Posted : 08/12/2007 11:33 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN April! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/12/2007 4:13 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hiya - aluth23... always intrigued by folks usernames?

Welcome to GN. Everyone has told me to enjoy the journey and not put any pressure on getting things done in a time... I can't really do that, but I reckon it's a good philosophy...

Scales and theory are important, but it's great to start playing tunes - I started with Horse with No Name because it was 'easy' and helped me learn to strum. For fingering I used House of the Rising Sun, another of Dave's in the 'easy' song section. I'm learning Silent Night at the moment, but I'm finding it quite difficult for an 'easy' song, but it's good practice and a nice one to impress the relatives on Christmas Day (or not as the case may be)...

I also get, well, not 'bored' but more 'restless' so I bounce around the tab boards playing little bits of different tunes - It's good fun and you're learning all the time you're playing but make sure you don't get into bad habits at the very start - it will help you in the long term...

Learn the notes, scales, chords, tunes and enjoy - post a vid on the here here beginners videos to show us how you're getting on.

See you around.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 10/12/2007 1:56 pm
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

well here's a welcome from anther newbie from NC :D . Hope you enjoy the froums :mrgreen:

Posted : 10/12/2007 8:34 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hi April,
Sounds like you're doing fine. Just keep practicing. Hope to see you on the boards.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 11/12/2007 5:55 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 08/01/2008 2:04 pm