Clear all

Sayin' hey

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Guess it's time to actually introduce myself here.

I'm Margaret from Wisconsin, USA, and have been learning guitar for about a year and a half. Notice I say "learning", not "playing", as I don't think I qualify yet as a "guitar player." I'm 45 years old and had sorta kinda tried to play guitar as a 12-year-old (with one of those cheap Harmony acoustics that belonged to my brother). At 17 I let my boyfriend talk me into buying a Fender strat, which he dinked around with, but I never learned. Passed that along to my nephew years ago.

Couple years ago my son wanted a guitar for Christmas, so we got him a mini acoustic. He stuck with it in spite of the cruddy guitar, so we moved up and got him an Ibanez, which I started playing around with, and eventually I started lessons, too. Now my son is almost 12 and we are both enjoying guitar, both electric and acoustic.

I've played piano practically my whole life, but learning guitar is a whole 'nother thing. So glad I've found this community of resources, support and FUN!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/01/2006 2:39 pm
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN margaret!!!

You're a guitar player, you just don't realize it. :)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 25/01/2006 2:53 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it's official then, Howdy and Welcome to GN (belated)

#4491....

Posted : 25/01/2006 3:01 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome, peoples!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better, and learning lots more. :!:

I'm amazed how many 40-somethings there are who, like me, have taken up guitar at this stage in life.

How COOL is GN?! Awesome place. 8)

Margaret

Posted : 25/01/2006 3:29 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN, Margaret!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 25/01/2006 4:32 pm
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Welcome from a fellow Newbie...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

Posted : 25/01/2006 4:59 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And welcome from 10,000 miles away.

Register at MSN messenger or Yahoo messeger in the Opinions and polls if you wanna talk to us all.

Good Luck playing ! :D

Rahul

Posted : 25/01/2006 5:10 pm
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Hey, just wanted to say 'hello' from another GN Forum newbie and that I learned to play on exactly the same guitar! My mom had an ancient Harmony acoustic. When I showed all of my friends what I was playing, they all wanted to know where I'd dug up such an artifact. It definitely doesn't play the best, but it was great to learn on, and I still have to pull it out every once in a while! Hope you see you around!

-Jason

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

Posted : 29/01/2006 12:56 am
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I'm amazed how many 40-somethings there are who, like me, have taken up guitar at this stage in life.

How COOL is GN?! Awesome place. 8)

Margaret

Not only are there 40 somethings there are quite a few 50 somethings and some 60 somethings. I'm one of the 50s variety. I think it's safe to say we have all the generations covered. I started when I was 50 and I'm 53 now.
Welcome aboard :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 29/01/2006 1:35 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 29/01/2006 2:28 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Yeah welcome

I am also a 40 something beginner , when I first started 2004 .. I thought I was going through a early mid-life crises . But thanks to this site I have seen there are many of us and older , we are just late bloomers .. :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 29/01/2006 7:18 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

we are just late bloomers

You betcha! I like that outlook. I'm reluctant to tell people that I'm taking guitar lessons, but here at GN I can let it hang out. I know I shouldn't be embarrassed about it. It's good to keep pursuing knowledge, skills and our passions, right? My mom is a great example of being a lifelong learner. She finally graduated with her Bachelor's degree at age 78, fulfilling a lifelong dream. Once I get really good and am not afraid to play in front of people, then maybe I'll go public. :wink:

Margaret

Posted : 30/01/2006 2:45 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Margaret! Nice to see another Wisconsinite on the GN boards! 8) There are a few of us around now. :D (Hey, remember when Wisconsin winters where cold & snowy?! :roll: )

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/01/2006 2:53 am