Clear all

Searching for noise

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Tome
(@tome)
Topic starter

Hello, I used google to search for noise and here I am.

Well I was born in 1953. I thought electric guitars were made out of metal. My friend's dad played in the honky tonks and he had a guitar with three pickups on it. That was the first guitar I ever touched. It was like something unreal.

My grandfather had an old box guitar that got handed down to me. Told I was tone deaf by some drunk dude my dad brought home, I proceeded to work out Roll Out The Barrel by ear.

Over time I acquired various electrics from pawn shops and traded for one almost every week using shoe shine money or from working the paper route.

Somewhere around 72 I got a Strat and joined a band doing Chicago music. My wife bought me a Gibson RD Artist and I played it for a few years. It was a nice guitar but I didn't like the battery. I've had some Les Pauls but never really took to them.

Right now I play a Parker and really love it even though it has a battery. I use a Cyber Twin amp.

I've got a 70 re-issued Strat that has a great tone but the noise is a problem.
I also have a DeArmond S73 that I like very much. A dark green finish shaped like a skewed SG and some sweet action.

I prefer to play acoustic and have a Martin SWDGT that will record well but my favorite is an Epiphone Gibson that has a really nice rhythm sound when recorded and can be used for lead work as well. I use a real old L5 from time to time. That guitar can be made to sound like a piano. I have a Washburn EA18 acoustic, a Martin backpacker and a Fender I don't know what dreadnaught.

I play in a rock band and do “one man band” writing and recording as a hobby.

Looking forward to the forum.

You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take a step - MLK

Posted : 02/03/2007 5:38 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome Tome.....you've stumbled across a great community here and it sounds like you'll bring a wealth of knowledge to the forum...look forward to seeing you around

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 02/03/2007 5:47 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

Have a go in the On line Jams section when you feel like sharing your playing with us. Or record a song you like and present it in Hear Here.

Either way, enjoy your time on the forums.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 02/03/2007 6:02 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good to meet you Tome, welcome to GN

#4491....

Posted : 02/03/2007 6:31 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! See you around! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/03/2007 7:28 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome Tome, looking forward to seeing you in the forums AND hearing your music....you'll always get an honest opinion here!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/03/2007 10:54 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

Looking forwards to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 03/03/2007 11:52 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Tome. Welcome to GN.

Posted : 03/03/2007 2:44 pm
 Tome
(@tome)
Topic starter

ballybiker
Bish
TwistedLefty
Dan T.
Vic Lewis
chuckster
Denny

Thanks for the warm welcome. Very nice place you have here.

You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take a step - MLK

Posted : 08/03/2007 1:05 am