Notifications
Clear all

Time for an OLD DOG to learn new tricks

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@garyj)
Topic starter

I am 60 years young and picked up a guitar for the first time one month ago. I have always been a jock and couldn't sit still for 10 minutes. I am starting to learn that as you age your body starts to refuse to let you do that. I didn't want to just vegetate in front of the television and I have always had a passion for music. I figure if I practice hard I will be able to entertain at the old folks home when my kids throw me in there. It should be an easy gig cause most of them won't be able to hear my mistakes anyway. Maybe I will even start a band. We can call ourselves "The Almost Dead". What do you think?? :lol:

Posted : 16/03/2010 11:54 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Gary welcome aboard there are a bunch of us "old" guys around these parts. I was in the same boat as you always a jock. Played sports all my life and still do but unfortunately just not as many as I used to.

Started playing when I was around 45ish been at it for a few years now, and you're right no reason to sit around and vegetate.

I always wanted to play and when I first started thought that if I could play a few songs that would be enough but once you get the bug it's never enough and you'll end up playing for the rest of your life.

But it's not like baseball or basketball it's more like golf or skiing, your gonna end up sinking some cash into all the toys your going to want/need. That's an addiction that's hard to quit.

Good luck.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 16/03/2010 1:55 pm
(@garyj)
Topic starter

Hey cnev, I noticed you are from New Britain. I am from Enfield. It's a small world after all. :note2:

Posted : 17/03/2010 11:29 am
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

The old "Don't let the rocking chair get you" is now "Don't let the TV get you" for the 21st century.

Way to go. Remember to have fun with it. That's why they call it "Playing" music.

♫ Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 17/03/2010 11:59 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey well then another CT resident a double welcome then.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 17/03/2010 12:01 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! You're never too old to pick up the guitar! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/03/2010 10:29 am