Clear all

45 years ago

41 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OMG a Ford Pinto my old man bought one when I was in high school (kind of embarrasing) and I used it soemtimes (I really tried not to) but I'm sure there's someone out there that is restoring one right now Roy so maybe someday you'll see one again.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/01/2010 4:04 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

never drove a Pinto. my mom had one, but I wouldn't drive in it. I remember Gremlins.
my car was my dad's old Rambler. steel dashboard and split front seat. the passenger side could flip backwards to become flat. it was the love machine. blue and white and fast for the hunk of steel it was.
I got a tiny Fiat 850 for college. about as wide as a guitar hard shell case. I was a hippie then; 69 - 72.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/01/2010 8:10 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That's about like seeing someone drive up in a car just like the new one you had, with an antique license plate on it.

It will be a while before that happens to me since I didn't buy a new car til I was about 25. My first car was almost as old as I was when I got it ('76 Camaro 8) )

Got my first guitar 22 years ago at Christmas. Learned a few chords but wanted to play like Eddie Van Halen and got impatient. It sat in my closet for a few years til it got sold for rent money. I went guitar-less for almost 10 years til a friend offered me his acoustic Yamaha for $50. I had that for almost 2 years before I really got down to business and learned to play it. That was a little over 5 years ago. Since then, I've learned to play guitar, bass and keys, started a band, written songs, played shows, recorded a CD, and watched my son learn. Imagine all the fun I missed by being impatient!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 06/01/2010 8:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Imagine all the fun I missed by being impatient!
Perhaps an increased appreciation factor helps to make up for the lost time? :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 06/01/2010 10:04 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Gawd you are old & congratulation.......I'm glad I'm not as auld as you....I guess.
I can remember my dad driving a '57 Buick Special......pretty new .....

Shit, who am I kiddin'....I'm almost there.....:>(

Posted : 07/01/2010 1:15 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Duh! My bad. I, of course, was thinking "new to me", and not "new off the lot". I was 23 before my first new one early in '88.

These early cars of mine were quite the babe magnets though. '72 Pinto Runabout, '76 Toyota Corrolla, 76 Suzuki 400GL (bike), '80 Buick Skylark w/4 speed standard (new GM Front Wheel Drive Models), '85-ish Ford EXP, '86 T-Bird. Favorite of the bunch was that Skylark. Biggest POS, but when it got to about 120k miles on it (a world record for that model, I bet), it stopped leaking oil and gained massive HP and got to the low 30's on the highway. Then the frame rusted out while changing the clutch. Whole body support twisted in place instead of the bolt twisting out. <sigh>

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/01/2010 2:44 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I checked. 45 years ago I began to learn guitar. my parents took me to a music store and bought a 65 Fender Mustang.

Boy, you sure are an old fart! I'm not gonna be celebrating MY 45th year of playing guitar until . . .

um . . . .

uh . . .

heh . . .

June of this year :shock:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 07/01/2010 3:14 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Congrats on the 45 years! I hope you have many more to come! This community wouldn't be the same without your experience and expertise.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 07/01/2010 4:40 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Favorite of the bunch was that Skylark. Biggest POS, but when it got to about 120k miles on it (a world record for that model, I bet), it stopped leaking oil and gained massive HP and got to the low 30's on the highway. Then the frame rusted out while changing the clutch. Whole body support twisted in place instead of the bolt twisting out. <sigh>
Probably the apparently increased power and mileage was from rust lightening it. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 07/01/2010 5:01 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Probably the apparently increased power and mileage was from rust lightening it.
Yeah, that was the car I drove when I moved from the cold rust belt of the north to the not quite as cold mid Atlantic. Hard to imagine that my current car is as old as that car was, and the worst damage it has is where it got scratched by a neighbor kid without coordination.

Roy

Posted : 07/01/2010 7:46 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I checked. 45 years ago I began to learn guitar. my parents took me to a music store and bought a 65 Fender Mustang.

Boy, you sure are an old fart! I'm not gonna be celebrating MY 45th year of playing guitar until . . .

um . . . .

uh . . .

heh . . .

June of this year :shock:

LOL. true. but time waits or stops for no one.

I distinctly remember thinking that I would never get to be 30 years old. the saying was ' don't trust anyone over thirty '.
yea. Rust never sleeps.
y'know, here are benefits being a geezer. jus can't bring em to mind. :roll:

the coolest thing about being an older player is experiencing all the changes in music over the last four decades.
there are tons more stomp boxes and guitar effects. more guitars to choose from too.
I think I would like another 45 years.

Posted : 07/01/2010 11:41 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, how much was a Gibby LP Standard and the Fender Strat Standard then?

I was reading about a late 60's group going ape over their studio's first 8 track recording capacity. Something one can do with free software digitally these days.

Roy

Posted : 07/01/2010 12:44 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Canada and the UK are/were considerably different than the US of A. The Fender Strat was around $300 -$349 (someone can correct me by looking in their Strat book) but there was none to be had outside of the Land of Liberty. (Hmm... what liberty, nobody mentioned Viet Nam, anti-war protests, civil rights and all those hassles).

Hank Marvin managed to score a red Strat, probably around 1965 - rumored to be one of the first in Britain, while George Harrison and John Lennon were fighting over just ONE in the window of a shop; I think it was Daphne Blue. The quiet one didn't sleep, or rose early and kept a vigil outside the store, got inside first and snapped it up - not bad for a quiet guy, a virtual unknown? :shock:

The Les Paul is another story, a dark one in the History of time? :cry: After Gibson discontinued the Les Paul as we know it, at the end of those famous burst years, 1960 - they tried to pass off the SG as the new Les Paul, and that only lasted for 1961 when Lester said "You can't put my name on that!" So from '62 - '67 we had some pretty fine SG's or Solid Guitars none-the-less, but the Les Paul did not made a comeback, until Elvis re-appeared, and by then his guitarist James Burton had the World's first Pink Paisle Tele, in 1968. :lol:

I could go on talking about Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page, which would involve first, Danelectro for both, 5 more random 1968 Strats from Manny's in NY launching the Voodoo Chile to fame, and the ubiquitous pre-1960 Les Pauls that all major players swapped, recycled and circulated for a couple of hunded bucks throughout the 60's.

Hmm... all this talk of real bad cars, what's that about? There was good news there too, and I had 4 of them back when? Well, they were really cheap, about the same as today's Tele or Strat & Les Paul! :roll:

George said all things must pass, the good things never really change. Any old friend will do, that's what really matters, next is guitars and cars, I suppose? :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 07/01/2010 2:07 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So, how much was a Gibby LP Standard and the Fender Strat Standard then?

I was reading about a late 60's group going ape over their studio's first 8 track recording capacity. Something one can do with free software digitally these days.
I looked at a Strat for my first guitar. my parnets said it was too expensive....$250 dollars. a 1965 American Strat is how much today???!!!!!!!!!

Posted : 07/01/2010 2:11 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bluejay...my older brother drove a blue 64 Mustang. I drove it to senior prom. I felt cooler than cool.

Posted : 07/01/2010 2:14 pm
Page 2 / 3