Clear all

After Work Today

38 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A coworker named Melissa whom I've said for years is "a ray of sunshine" in our place is leaving for another job opportunity, so we had a party for her after work. Naturally, I had to do a version of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone." Didn't stick to Mr. Withers' lyrics. (Had to name Melissa, among other things.) Didn't nail it perfectly, I had a mental pause for half a second or so trying to think which line I was singing early in the song, and when she started bawling my picking fingers stiffened up like wood and I fluffed a few notes here and there. But it still went over well. I know someone shot a cell phone video, maybe I'll get a copy. If not, I'll make a computer recording and post it before long. Used my new 12 gauge shotgun muzzle slide on my Johnson Tricone, in Emin tuning.

Isn't it funny how you can practice to perfection, and the butterflies still get you?
:?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:13 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That's great Ric. I'm sure she really appreciated that and probably didn't even notice you were nervous.
I haven't really played in front of anyone yet besides family. I feel weird even practicing in front them. :oops: I have an internet friend in Spain who is a good guitarist and he has sent me a few videos of himself playing so I owe him one but I haven't gotten up the courage to try that yet.

That and I don't have a video camera, which has gotten me off the hook so far. :mrgreen:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:42 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I'm used to playing by myself, or just sitting around practicing in the back office while folks are coming in and out. Suddenly being in front of everyone as the center of attention, with one shot at getting one song right and no chance to practice it right before, is a tough situation. Doubtless better if you've got a whole set of stuff to perform, you can bounce back from a slightly awkward start. Sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do, though.

Posted : 15/07/2008 2:53 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I know someone shot a cell phone video, maybe I'll get a copy. If not, I'll make a computer recording and post it before long.
Looking forward to it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/07/2008 12:26 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Like Cowgirl said, I'm sure no one even noticed. Was such a nice thing you did. People will remember how nice it was for you to do that. ESPECIALLY the person leaving.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 15/07/2008 12:29 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice song choice, Ric. People will remember that, and the effort you made, not any fluffs. Your karma's good! Pity you couldn't do a medley of ANS and "Melissa", though!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:20 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Any luck getting the vid? I can't wiat to see it too. Very nice thing you did from the sounds of it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:31 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Ric,

Great to hear stories of people using LIVE music in social situations and not just radios, CDs, ipods etc. :D I bet they were all suitably impressed to hear such a genuine and personal performance. I'd love to hear or see it too if you can post something.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 15/07/2008 9:48 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Made her cry.

Posted : 16/07/2008 12:44 am
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Very nice gesture, Ric! I'm sure it made her day!

Jim

Posted : 16/07/2008 12:55 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice Ric. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/07/2008 1:18 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very cool thing to do! :D I'm sure Melissa loved it! You're a pretty great guy, Ricochet! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/07/2008 1:59 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Nice one Ric, would love to see the video

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 16/07/2008 2:09 am
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

This is why I'm into music I think. Nothing can activate the emotions quite like music.

I'm glad you put yourself out there Ric. I'm sure she appreciated it. I bet it made you feel good to see that you have the ability to touch someone like that. You have demonstrated a power that few have: the ability to use music to touch the soul of another person.

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. :)

Posted : 16/07/2008 12:34 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gave up on trying to get a video from the party and recorded a version of the song I played for Melissa this afternoon. One pass, kinda rough, just about like it was live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6PiZhnczB4

Posted : 24/07/2008 3:28 am
Page 1 / 3