Clear all

An Anniversary

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just realized that it was 7 years ago this morning that I got off my Harley the wrong way and wrapped my right arm around my back, crunching my humerus to bits. That indirectly led to my learning to play guitar. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 19/04/2007 4:01 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Happy Anniversary!... I guess... :shock:
:D

Don

Posted : 19/04/2007 4:40 pm
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I just realized that it was 7 years ago this morning that I got off my Harley the wrong way and wrapped my right arm around my back, crunching my humerus to bits. That indirectly led to my learning to play guitar. :D

I'm curious...how did that lead you to start?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Posted : 19/04/2007 5:19 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats......I think? :)

I found it much easier just to go to any guitar store, buy one, take it home and start strumming.

To each his own, I guess. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 19/04/2007 5:39 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'd been in rehab for nearly a year getting the use of my arm back, and my son had started taking guitar lessons. I decided to give it a try, too.

Posted : 19/04/2007 6:03 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

crunching my humerus to bits and I'll bet that wasnt funny at all :roll: positive outcome though congrats.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 19/04/2007 6:15 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

See there! That just goes to show that good things can come out of bad things!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 19/04/2007 6:19 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yep!

Posted : 19/04/2007 6:41 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's a school of thought that says everything happens for a reason.....or is it something to do with karma? That's a dramatic way to start playing! I can almost hear the soundtrack now.....

"And I'm torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike...."

Stay away from the Harley, and stick to guitars - much safer!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/04/2007 7:17 pm
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

lol yes, Vic is right. Guitars are much safer.

Happy Anny, I guess, lol.

Posted : 19/04/2007 7:43 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

On a sadder note, it's also the anniversary of the Oklahoma City federal building bombing, which the media have forgotten because of the recent Virginia Tech tragedy. I remember it because of the association of my misfortune with recollections of the OKC attack.

Posted : 19/04/2007 8:17 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Just curious, how's the arm now? Hope you fully recovered.

Posted : 19/04/2007 8:48 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's doing remarkably well. It was the worst fractured humerus any of the orthopedic surgeons here had ever seen. They all looked at the films prior to surgery. The ball end was pulverized. The shaft of the bone was twisted apart into two jagged spiral spears that were widely separated and overlapped. Why the lower one wasn't protruding out my shoulder, I don't know. Miraculously, the radial nerve wasn't severed. The ball end was replaced with a metal prosthesis. The various tendons with eggshell-like slivers of bone were wired to the metal. The pieces of the shaft were put back together and wrapped with wire, each wrap passing under the radial nerve. The surgeon was concerned that the attachment of the tendons to the metal was none too secure, so I had to wait a month before beginning physical therapy with a completely frozen shoulder, made worse by the soft tissue trauma all around it. The pain was horrendous. But now I can do pretty much anything I want to. I just can't reach up quite as high as I used to. I'm very thankful. When I was starting to play guitar it was very challenging to hold my arm in the playing position for more than a few minutes. Actually, it was challenging to get it in the playing position. You'd never know it now.

Have I mentioned that I LOVE Physical Therapists?

Posted : 19/04/2007 8:59 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

On a sadder note, it's also the anniversary of the Oklahoma City federal building bombing, which the media have forgotten because of the recent Virginia Tech tragedy.
I just realized that it's also the anniversary of my sister's passing. She's the one who left me her classical guitar that got me back into playing........ Hmmmmmmm........

On the Oklahoma thing, though, the stations here have been running news stories about it.

OMG! It's also the anniversary of the Branch Davidian/David Koresh disaster in Waco........

I don't think I like April 19th........... :(

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 19/04/2007 9:29 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Wow, and i thought it was just trashday. sheesh
Makes you stop and think a bit doesn't it?

Well, Happy Anniversary Bearchaser :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 19/04/2007 9:52 pm
Page 1 / 2