Notifications
Clear all

An Anniversary

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Two years ago Feb 2, I snapped MY right humerus right in the middle! A complication from my smoking prevented it from healing at all. The only thing keeping my arm together is a steel plate and ten screws.

This was another reason for my quitting smoking, no surgeon would put my arm back together until I quit smoking for good! Surgery is now scheduled in about a month. They need to put a graft from my hip in the gap.

Really looking forward to it, then I can get back on MY Harley! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 19/04/2007 9:55 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Wow, and i thought it was just trashday.

No!! Trash day was yesterday!!! LOL! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 19/04/2007 11:15 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It was trash day here. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 19/04/2007 11:34 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Racetruck,

its ok to get on the Harley but stay OFF the smokes. How is it all going ? we havent had an update in the "Giving Up Smoking" thread for a while.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 20/04/2007 1:08 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Hmmm.......

I thought I posted an update........

Oh well, doing great, I really had a hard time up until the middle of March, then everything started to get easier. I got sick with an unrelated issue and I kinda just hibernated for awhile. Feeling better now though, almost too well! I haven't felt this good since I was a kid! Food tastes better, breathing is better, wife looks better... Hell, I even like the cats now.

I've been through a lot of things in my life but quitting smoking was easily the hardest thing that I've ever done. Not even a non-healing broken arm was enough motivation. I just got tired of smoking.

One caveat of reconstructive surgery on my arm was no one would do the surgery UNLESS I had quit for at least a couple of months. Apparently, cigarette smoke prevents healing of bone. My arm is slowly coming apart, the screws are loosening up and the plate is getting wobbly. So, I'm getting the surgery.

I'm still putting aside the money from not smoking and will be making a donation on my birthday, besides buying myself something.....

Mods, move this if it needs to be moved!

BTW, I Really appreciate all the support from everyone! It was important and it helped! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 20/04/2007 4:13 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Congrats on the anniversary Ric ... errrr ... well sorta. :lol: I can't begin to immagine how that must have felt and I don't want to either. I've heard this story before but each time it sends chills down my spine.

Racetruck, keep up the good work. Smoking is bad for you in so many ways one could lose count. I have seceral coworkers who smoke and would love to quit as they see in a direct way what it does. The only problem is even with what they see, they don't seem to be able to stop. It is a terrible addiction. I'm glad I never took it up.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 20/04/2007 11:57 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, the nicest part of it is that I almost forgot it. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 20/04/2007 4:02 pm
Page 2 / 2