Clear all

Bots

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I had thought I had one of those in my eye once but when the doctor pulled it out it was really this:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/08/2007 5:45 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

cnev,

that was some tapeworm!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 25/08/2007 9:28 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Ricochet, those photos are too sick and so fascinating! :shock:

How does that happen? Does the egg get under the eyelid, say from contaminated hands or the wind, and then the worm actually develops there?

My sister once had a kitty that died of something that might be similar. The vet called it a "dive bomber", and it was some sort of parasite that supposedly burrowed into the cat's brain.

Horses get little black dots on their coats that are also called bots. I think they are actually eggs, and you use a pumice stone-type thing to remove them by brushing down their legs.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/08/2007 5:39 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Bots are maggots, parasitic larvae of flies that lay their eggs under the skin of animals including humans on occasion. Most bot infestations occur in livestock such as horses, cattle, sheep... The adults are known as botflies. The link I included under the picture to the page from which the picture came has some information, and Google will turn up much more. (If you word your inquiry to avoid the silly stuff about robots and automated Net exploring programs.) There's a true story out there, with photos, about a guy who went camping in Guatemala and came back with two bots in his scrotum. It's not for the faint of heart.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 25/08/2007 9:35 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Cat's have one of the most wonderfull parasites in the world. It get's it from eating wildlife like rats. It then travels around. It goes to the brains of the cat, slowly killing it. That's bad news for the parasite, so it spreads through the feces of cat. Rats walking on that, or sniffing it, will get contaminated. The nice part is that it damages the amygdala in the rat's brain, which causes the rat to become fearless. Or easy cat-pray, if you want. And so the cycle starts again. Pretty smart.

Posted : 25/08/2007 9:41 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am really feeling amazed at the turn this thread has taken too. Extreme medical science :shock:

Posted : 26/08/2007 6:38 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I am really feeling amazed at the turn this thread has taken too. Extreme medical science :shock:

lmao, quite the turn indeed.

Richochet, you're a doctor right? Or is that someone else.

In any case, thank you for the disturbingly cool pictures.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 26/08/2007 6:43 am
(@frankthetank9991)
Eminent Member

what was that?!?

what do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?

a drummer.

Posted : 26/08/2007 3:01 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I'm a doctor. I was a biology major in my undergraduate days, and invertebrate zoology was my thing. I was right fond of parasitology.

Posted : 27/08/2007 2:03 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Can we have a new forum devoted exclusively for BOT talk (and occasional parasitology) ? :lol:

Posted : 27/08/2007 9:01 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Ric let the Bio major's rejoice. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I got my degree in biology ( at the time I thought I'd work in a zoo or be an oceanographer) instead I ended up mixing chemical's.

Posted : 27/08/2007 9:49 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I had a second major going in Chemistry, too. I miss my Organic lab. I'd have Homeland Security breathing down my neck, though... :lol:

Posted : 28/08/2007 12:57 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Didn't do the second major thing but chemistry was my minor and I did enjoy the Organic chem labs...I liked my genetics ones too! Have to love those fruit flies

Posted : 28/08/2007 5:22 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/31/houseguests.hell/index.html

Posted : 04/09/2007 8:08 pm
Page 2 / 2