British Seminar/get-together 2006.....

62 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
24.2 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, we tried to get something going last year....for various reasons it all fell through....maybe we could arrange something for next year?

Here's my idea....perhaps April or May, we all head down to Birmingham on a Friday, book into a hotel/motel, have a meet and greet session and a few beers Friday night....Saturday, we all meet up in a pub with a function room, we split the cost of hiring it between us....maybe even stay over till Sunday, make a weekend of it....with a little bit of research....and I'm willing to sacrifice my time and search a few pubs for a viable function room,,,,we should surely be able to sort something out?

There are plenty of us Brits , be nice to play some of those songs off the ESD,,,,just a question of booking time off work....

So come on, you Brits, what do you think?.... I've had a lot of fun playing in the pub with blokes I hardly know the last few months...I think it'd be great to play a few songs with prople I almost know, PM, and correspond with on a regular basis....come on, let's make this happen.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/11/2005 1:49 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hi Vic,

Brilliant idea mate. Yes I'm up for it. I'll be seeing Rodders this Sunday for a jam so I'll fill him in on it if he hasn't read this.

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 02/11/2005 7:21 am
(@alangreen)

There was some e-mail traffic once before, when Pet was trying to set something up; I've no idea why it all fell over.

Count me in, Vic. Will partners want to come and Roadie?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 02/11/2005 8:58 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hmmm....didn't think about partners....but I asked Marilyn, she said "count me out - a bunch of guys playing guitars, and talking about guitars when they're not playing....I'd rather go shopping..."

Could be an expensive weekend....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/11/2005 9:19 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I ain't exactly Brittish, but if we can arrange something in time I wouldn't mind dropping by. :) I believe some companies have flights directly from Amsterdam to Birmingham, so that should be no problem at all.

Posted : 02/11/2005 3:02 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Who knows somebody who knows somebody that can get the performance site for free?

Posted : 02/11/2005 4:10 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I could get a room for free in Newton-le-Willows, but no fair to everyone else....that's why I suggested Birmingham....but someone (probably me) would have to go and visit several/a few/many pubs in the area to find one with a function room and negotiate a deal.....sigh, the sacrifices you make for your friends....

A pub function room shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid apiece....if we can get at least 15-20 people interested, and I PM'd at least that many last night....and still got to get in touch with PET, who's back in Texas and keeping a very low profile....makes you wonder what she's up to.....!!!!!

Anyway, Nick, how's about you dragging your born-in-Britain butt over here, Mr Mojo? Be cool if you could make it - and I've got a guitar you could play....you were familiar with her for about a month or so....what d'you think?

Vic

Posted : 02/11/2005 4:35 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Put me down provisoinally, I'll be able to give a more definite yea/nay a bit nearer the time.
Brum is going to be a pain in the bout to get in and out of - there's one flight a day from the heart of Beervaria and back.
Oh, hang on, hold everything - what beer have they got down there? Isn't it some derivative of Dettol?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 02/11/2005 5:19 pm
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Vic

Count me in it was unfortunate we couldn't see it through last time.

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

Posted : 03/11/2005 9:29 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Graham, I honestly don't know what beer they serve up in Birmingham these days....years ago, it was Ansell's bitter and Skol Lager, but I really don't have a clue now - research will have to be done....that's my job, heh heh.....

But if I can't find a decent draught, there's always bottled beer.....I'm hoping it won't come to that......trust me, I'll find a decent pint....8 years working at Tetley Walkers as a lab technician, I think I'm qualified to judge....

Vic

Posted : 03/11/2005 11:16 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As long as no-one suggests Erdinger Weissbier - no matter where I go in the world, I always find this stuff on offer - it's almost as ubiquitous as Coke. It's brewed about 20 miles from where I live and just once, I'd like to get away from it. :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 03/11/2005 11:50 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If only Pet could be persuaded to bring a few crates of Shiner back from Texas.......

Vic

Posted : 04/11/2005 12:51 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I truely hope you guys/gals get this one off. You people deserve it after all the hard work you put into the last one.

Off to start a beer thread................ ummmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr

EDIT - It's called, "Coffee/Tea time is over...." over at the coffee house.

Posted : 04/11/2005 1:17 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Sorry for the late reply but you can count me in Vic, so long as it doesn't clash with the Clapton concert on the 11th April.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 07/11/2005 5:53 pm
(@alangreen)

As long as no-one suggests Erdinger Weissbier - no matter where I go in the world, I always find this stuff on offer - it's almost as ubiquitous as Coke. It's brewed about 20 miles from where I live and just once, I'd like to get away from it. :)

Bring a couple of crates with you - I used to drink that stuff when I was in Frankfurt and you can't get it in Essex

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 07/11/2005 6:33 pm
Page 1 / 5