Clear all

Finally!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

My buddy and I have played together for a couple of years now and we finally played with a drummer tonight for the first time. It was actually the first time either of us ever played with a drummer, so we were a bit nervous. We knew this guy was very good and has been playing since he was 8. It turns out he was even better than we expected. I kind of thought he would blow us off after tonight. I was really afraid that we weren't in his league, but he said we sounded great and that he is excited to play with us again. He has played with several bands so I trust his judgement. He says that he has heard "bad" and that we definitely were not "bad." In fact, he said that we were quite good.

I just got back and felt I had to share. I'm very excited. Even my wife says that we sounded good, and she almost never compliments our playing.

By the way, I will be in Athens, Alabama next week, so please let me know if there are any good places to catch some live music. I will be in Tychi, Poland in a couple of weeks and El Paso in about a month, so any suggestions for those locations would also be appreciated.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 20/08/2006 4:03 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

I know the feeling - I just starting playing with other musicians for the 1st time in a LOOOOONG time - its a blast playing with bass and drums.

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 20/08/2006 4:09 am
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Awesome Mr.Jonesy
Keep it up... and you'll surprise your self even more I'm sure.

Cheers!!! :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 20/08/2006 4:13 am
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

If the drummer thinks that you're quite good now, just wait till he plays with you for a few months! Playing with other musicians is a sure fire way to get better faster, not to mention it's a blast!! Stick with it Dagwood, your on the right track!! 8) :D

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

Posted : 20/08/2006 8:20 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is excellent news. So much fun playing with others. Congrats.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 20/08/2006 1:28 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, with each practice you will sound better and better.

Get 20 songs and you are ready to go out and play somewhere. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 21/08/2006 1:39 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It's a lot easier to play a song when you have a drummer, eh? That's great you're able to get an advanced drummer. It should make life much easier. Is the guy nice?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 21/08/2006 9:00 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

It's a lot easier to play a song when you have a drummer, eh? That's great you're able to get an advanced drummer. It should make life much easier. Is the guy nice?

The guy is very nice. I don't know him as well as my buddy does, but he seems to be real cool. I kept looking back at him while I was playing and he really looked like he was feeling it. I wasn't sure if he was pulling our leg when he said we sounded really good, but my buddy assures me that he is sincere and that he can't wait to play with us again. A huge confidence boost.

My buddy and myself can play about a dozen songs and the drummer seems able to pick up anything we throw at him with relative ease. The drummer thinks that we may not quite be ready to do a full gig, but he thinks we could do a half hour - forty five minutes to open for a more established band without being kicked out of the bar.

We'll see, but I'm still very pumped!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 24/08/2006 12:27 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

thats great news, your playing will improve greatly, good luck

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 25/08/2006 9:25 pm