Clear all

first time playing in public

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I played electric guitar at my schools's homecoming pep rally tonight. I played with the pep band and we played smoke on the water, stray cat strut, and louie louie. I thought i did pretty well, i didn't screw up (at least not too noticably). The best thing was i wasn't nervous at all, i even learned stray cat and louie louie an hour before the rally.

I'll probably play for the basketball games this winter which should be fun and it is nice to have a drummer backing you up and keeping the beat. 8)

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

Posted : 08/09/2006 2:43 am
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

Congrats! on your performance. Stick with it. I wonder about those songs though even though I think they are cool - because I played them 30 years ago and still do. Playing in public will make you a better player.

Posted : 08/09/2006 3:07 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 08/09/2006 10:11 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats. Sounded like alot of fun

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 08/09/2006 10:50 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice.
keep it up.
nothing like being in front of people and having to think really fast..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 08/09/2006 1:04 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Pep bands are strange... They learn a lot of tiny snippets of songs, familiar riffs, etc, but never get to play an entire song except at half-time.

However, it's a lot of fun!

Posted : 08/09/2006 4:19 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I played bass in a pep band a while back-it was great fun. Although I did feel the yearning for full songs...

Posted : 09/09/2006 2:58 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your first public appearance. It's great you weren't nervous at all.

I bet if they took a survey and asked guitar players where they first performed before an audience, that their school would be the #1 answer easy. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 09/09/2006 8:22 pm
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Second on the "great you weren't nervous". The first time I played, my knees knocked so bad if I'd tied two cymbals between them I'd have been a one man rhythm section. :lol: Glad it went well. :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 10/09/2006 1:32 am
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

That's cool man!

At this years homecoming assembly, a freshman played The Star Spangled Banner on a sweet Gibson SG. Of course he made it all spacey and the crowd loved it,

It really made me want to volunteer for stuff like that, and that is saying a lot for me! :lol: Normally I would never get involved with school anymore that I had too.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 11/09/2006 3:17 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Daniel,

well done mate, from one first timer to another I know exactly how your feeling right now.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 11/09/2006 6:50 am