Gig Report for 3-20-10

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Wow, what an experience!!!

I got the royal treatment from Borders, they were all wonderful. This was a last minute thing, but I felt I was prepared.

I played like a donkey. Humiliation, embarrassment, I didn't even know how to play the guitar. I wanted to walk out after the first two songs.

That being said...apparently everyone else thought I sounded great, and I don't know what they were listening to. I get the feeling they were just "saying that" you know what I mean?

People were coming up and saying they enjoyed listening to me and stuff like that, but I don't know. Every song had issues, and some I couldn't even complete because I lost where I was in my head. And got distracted. So I just played some notes and created an ending to get out of the song.

Once I got into my Cd songs, things started to get alot better, and I finished on a strong note.

That being said I did sell 6 Cd's. 5 to the Borders store and 1 to a customer.

I think I'll be more prepared next Saturday night. They still want me back so, I guess I should be happy, but I'm not.

I've got video, it'll be up soon, it's hard to hear though because of the people talking etc. Just 3 clips of songs.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 20/03/2010 11:30 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You did well. No worries. You'll be back! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 21/03/2010 12:24 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah, it was kind of rough. First solo gig ever, short notice, 3 hours of sleep....not a good combination, next Saturday will be better, I just know it....it has to....right? LOL

Here is a couple clips from the gig -- reuploaded because something happened the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jGOvFi_jk

Love Will Keep Us Alive
Dust In the Wind
Beyond Blue Eyes

Posted : 21/03/2010 12:33 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nope, it's not easy when people are watching. :lol: I'm gonna check out your clips but I'm sure you did just fine Joe. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 21/03/2010 12:45 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

You are your own worst critic Joe. We all are. 99% of the time the audience doesn't even notice your mistakes...believe me, I say the same thing to my wife all the time...did you hear that mistake I made?...Jeez, I can't believe I blew the lead to that song!! She's not there to critique but to just enjoy the show, and she does. The important thing question is did you have fun? Believe me, it will get easier & you'll become more comfortable playing in front of people the more you do it. Just remember they are there to because they WANT to be there and they are enjoying watching you do what you are passionate about, playing your music. This is not "American Idol". The audience wants you to do well too. So let them support you while you are getting your performance legs underneath you. Soon you will become comfortable playing in front of people, interacting with them while playing and just having a great time doing it!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 21/03/2010 10:29 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah I know, the worst critic part is all me LOL.

But I know that people didn't show up because of me, I was a last minute thing. People were just sitting there enjoying their drinks, browsing the web whatever, when I came in to play.

Next Saturday though, they will be there for me, I'm being advertised in the store and they are playing my Cd during the day at times as well this week.

Should be a good time, and I hope the nerves will be less, but I really don't know...we'll have to see.

Posted : 22/03/2010 5:45 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Joe, I understand the not feeling good. It's gotta be tough when people watch and others chatter on and on. I'd lose my focus in about 3 seconds. I didn't see or hear a reason for you to not feel good, though. I hope the next one goes well or even better. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/03/2010 1:13 am
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Three hours of sleep? I could barely hold a guitar after that, let alone play it. Maybe you didn't do your best, but that sounds like a great reason to me.

And now that you have that first solo gig out of the way, you can look forward to doing better.

Renee

Posted : 23/03/2010 10:23 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! Yeah 3 hours I think really did me in...although...

I sat down for a big practice session today, and wasn't liking what I was hearing...I almost called the thing off, songs I can play well sounded terrible, buzzing and missed strings and everything...and it's not like these could be over looked either...Im sitting down for another session tomorrow night to try and tighten things up...I'm hoping they go well. My confidence is going down the toilet for this....maybe I'm just not ready?

Posted : 24/03/2010 3:33 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm willing to bet that you start off the guig that way too. You're sounding super uptight about it. I would be too. You know what? It don't matter. The soccermoms are there drinking their $5 coffee drink trying to one-up eachother in every topic f conversation known to man. The fellow musicians are there rooting for you, unless they're a big jerk. The non-bar hopping date scene are playing footsie under the table and otherwise too engrossed in their strategic ways of making the next stop a motel or his place. That leaves you, the afforementioned musicians and the music lovers.

And besides, a great pitcher has off days when they all look like Cincy's starting rotation. What distinguishes them from others is not how they pitch when they have their best stuff, but how they pitch when they don't. I'm sure some of this can apply to the guitar.

Oh, and one thing I learned from the last Jam. Start off with a few easy things. Let the nerves calm. We've all heard your stuff. You can do it. We all know that. We also know that old and mega famous musicians still get nerves before a show. I'm not suggesting that you get the store manager to go out back and blaze one with you, but perhaps your doctor might have a trick or two up his/her sleeve that doesn't involve long term medication.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/03/2010 3:54 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

You are absolutely right! I gotta just relax and not worry about what happens.

The only people that are really going to be listening are those that are there for me...and they'll be pulling for me.
And besides, a great pitcher has off days when they all look like Cincy's starting rotation.
:roll: :roll: :roll: Had to bring them in it didn't you, had to mess with my team. LOL

Posted : 24/03/2010 4:16 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You are absolutely right! I gotta just relax and not worry about what happens.
You make it sound so simple to do. :lol:

Oh, and sorry to drag your team into this. BUT, I do have to do something to get back at you guys for the Wily Mo Pena trade. :evil:

Roy

Posted : 24/03/2010 4:20 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

LOL Yeah so easy to do :roll: :roll:

I had a really good practice session last night, just sat down, and played, was relaxed, didn't let the buzzes bother me and just kept on going. And while there were some mistakes, I was overall very happy with out it went, I hope to have another one like that before my gig.

Posted : 25/03/2010 1:42 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! That's always nice right before a gig.

I had to learn to play through little errors when jamming with my friend. Especially with my son on drums. When I made a mistake, I had to play through it. If I stopped too long, they stopped and the song was toast. :roll:

Roy

Posted : 25/03/2010 1:55 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah I had to do that when playing last July at that party. But it worked out well, so hopefully it will this Saturday as well.

Posted : 25/03/2010 1:59 pm
Page 1 / 2