Clear all

Guitar Withdrawal

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, I'm sitting in Cadillac Michigan right now....it's raining....and I had to sell my travel guitar before we left because I REALLY needed the cash.

I'm trying to find a music store to try and buy a cheapo-cheapo-cheapo for the week....and can't find the only one in town.

I can only hope my playing will improve by taking some time off :lol:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 10/08/2009 4:33 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Have you tried the Pawn Shop? http://www.pawnshoplistings.com/profile/Trading_Post/6230

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 10/08/2009 5:31 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Hi Joe,

I went through a similar situation few years ago; needed cash bad & let most of my guitars go, along with an absolutely beautiful Pearl White 80's Dean that I have missed terribly over the years. I found an $80 "Eagle" - GIbson knock-off on craigslist to hold me over until I could replenish my stock!

So, I've been there, I can sympathize with you! Try craigslist; don't be afraid to make offers - you never know, people will bite if they need the cash bad enough...

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:07 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Kat, I think you misunderstand....I just need one for the week LOL, I still have all my other guitars at home. I loosened the strings and packed them in their cases before I left.

Thanks for that link BlueJay! I called the guitar shop before I looked at this link and the guy there got a chuckle about what I was doing LOL.

I'll check out the pawn shop too!

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:27 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Guess I did misunderstand a bit! :oops: Still, going without a guitar for a week is likely to produce severe withdrawal symptoms! :mrgreen:

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:32 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

hey there mods - i replied to this thread about 20 mins ago, but my message has gone?

i aint complaining, i often talk rubbish so i dont mind if it has been deleted, but i just thought i'd let you know in case something is wrong somewhere :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:35 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah it was removed because they were tired of ally your jibberish! LOL

Just kidding, I always enjoy what you post. :lol: :lol:

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:37 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

maybe its because i wrote it in pig latin? :lol:

anyway, what it said was that i had got back from a weeks exile in wales without my guitar, and that i know the feeling.

so, if a post saying something like that appears in an entirely unrelated thread, you know why :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 10/08/2009 7:43 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I once went without a guitar for 17 days. I was on a cruise, so was having fun, but I sure missed playing. Interesting thing is that when I got home and picked up a guitar, my playing had improved. There must be something to that "muscle memory" thing.

Renee

Posted : 10/08/2009 8:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A couple of months or so back, things were really sticky, financially - so I pawned my Tele and my SPT acoustic. I still had the Squier Tele (needs repairing) and a battered old acoustic....but I hardly touched them. Just wasn't the same. When I got them back, boy did I give them some stick...I usually play for 4-6 hours a day, and thought I'd just be able to pick up where I left off.

Was I ever wrong! After about a couple of minutes, my fingers were sore....callouses had gone soft. After about an hour of playing, my hand was sore - had to pack in playing for the night. It's taken a few weeks, but I'm almost back to normal... callouses are hard again, hand strength's back to normal.

I'll tell you one thing - those guitars are never going near a pawn shop again. No way, no how. I don't care how skint we are - and I don't care what gets cut off, I'm not doing without my guitars again. (Er, when I said "I don't care what gets cut off," I was referring to Gas, Electric, Phone, cable TV, etc - not bodily parts. Obviously. I know you can sell, eg, a kidney in some parts of the world, but not here. Not legally, anyway. And if there's any loan sharks reading this, can you make it a leg if it really comes down to the crunch? I need my arms for guitar.....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/08/2009 9:22 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

http://www.mirrorimage.com/air/

who needs a physical guitar?
try this. click the lesson section and follow all the way through.
:D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 10/08/2009 10:08 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay, this was the greateset thing I think I've ever seen! That just made my day! Thanks Dogbite!

Posted : 10/08/2009 11:52 pm
(@dbrownlee)
Eminent Member

Hey, I work in Cadillac! Shoot me a pm and I can show you where the guitar store is, and where another is about 50 miles south. Dave

Posted : 11/08/2009 11:06 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Oh wow! That's cool! I'm staying at the Sands Resort until tomorrow. Then we are going to stay at my wifes friends house in LeRoy for a few days.

I did find The Music Station, I had thought it was a building that needed to be leased or something because of the signs around it, so I think we may be going there at some point today after we get back from Traverse City. Then again, if there is a music store up there I may just stop in there.

Thanks for the offer though! I appreciate it!

Posted : 11/08/2009 11:40 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

http://www.mirrorimage.com/air/

who needs a physical guitar?
try this. click the lesson section and follow all the way through.
:D
+1, Doggy

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 11/08/2009 11:52 am
Page 1 / 2