Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Withdrawal

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dbrownlee)
Eminent Member

It seems like there is a music store on Front Street in downtown Traverse City, but I haven't been up there in a while. There is Marshall Music on S. Airport Road. The phone book says they have guitars and amps, but I've never been there. Actually, I try to avoid that town altogether- too much traffic in a town that wasn't built for it.

I live just a few miles south of Leroy, right off the freeway. If your going south, there is a nice store in Big Rapids- Quinn's Music. It's downtown on Michigan Avenue, across from the movie theater. Almost all my gear has come from there.

Ah, a quick google found it- Good News music Center, 140 Front Street, Traverse City.

Have a good trip. Again, PM me if you need anything.

Dave

Posted : 11/08/2009 12:19 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the info. We ended up going to Marshall Music for a bit. Good stuff in there, but a bit over priced in my estimation.

The quote from my wife "You are lame, you couldn't go a week without picking up....you are very very lame"

I see what you mean about the Traverse area though....lots of traffic. Downtown traffic wasn't too bad, but then it's just park and walk for that main part of Front St.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 11/08/2009 8:26 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The quote from my wife "You are lame, you couldn't go a week without picking up....you are very very lame"

Uh-Ohhhhhhh. That's never a good speech.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/08/2009 11:22 am
(@dbrownlee)
Eminent Member

Uh-Ohhhhhhh. That's never a good speech.

:lol: My wife chuckled and rolled her eyes I told her about this post. She is a good sport though, whenever we are near any kind of guitar shop anywhere, she is always as excited as I am about going in. When we go downstate to Guitar Center, I just sit in front of an amp strumming away, and she wanders the store bringing me various guitars to try. One time recently, I was looking at the basses with my youngest daughter, and since she won't play in public, I decided to try a particularly sexy one. My wife walked away as the clerk was tuning it up for me. After a few minutes plucking away, I walked back into the main part of the store. My wife said "I thought you were going to try the bass?" I told her I had, and she said wide-eyed; "that was you?!" I'm now thinking maybe I should switch- shw always knows it's me when I play the 6-string. :oops:

Joe, enjoy the rest of your trip. I actually have a cheapo electric you could have had for a song, but its got a few days to go on eBay yet. If your'e up this way again, maybe we can get together for a little jamming.

Dave

Posted : 12/08/2009 1:36 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The funny thing is, today after calling me lame on Tuesday....we passed by the Music station and she pulled over and just looked at me and said:

"Well go on....I'll be in the car." LOL.

Posted : 13/08/2009 4:39 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OH for an understanding woman....all I ever get is, "you've got enough guitars..." and "you always play the same things..." and "all you ever do is play that bloody guitar, there's walls need papering, there's doors need painting, there's loads of stuff needs doing to this house...."

Yeah right......some people can go to Bingo twice a week, total cost about £40 or so - other people can't afford new strings, total cost about £20 every couple of months or so....funny how the money's always there for some people, but not for other people, innit?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/08/2009 11:03 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Joe, you're getting closer to Lansing, if you're planning to take the I75 from Toledo to Cincinnati, you might pass through and catch Elderly's, which you've probably seen ... an American musical Institution? :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=le+roy+michigan&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DACA_en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&ei=BeeEStqyKZXWNpn9sdEE&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Elderly doesn't sell inexpensive guitars but they're expecting a shipment of Alvarez folk 000 acoustics with semi-hardshell case (good for your next trip :lol: ) @ $249. Oh well, FWIW, it's a free visit, eh? :wink:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RF210.htm

All the best, enjoy the rest of your trip. P.S. Look out for deer and wild turkeys, but enjoy the scenery, just like the State Troopers hiding in the bush of the ultra-wide, dense medians. Take care.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 14/08/2009 3:36 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm back...finally....we had to turn off paved roads and travel a few miles down dirt roads to get to where we were staying in LeRoy Michigan for the last part of the week....wow!

And yeah, there were Turkeys in the roads.....alot of them....they wouldn't move, I had to get out and chase them away.

Posted : 16/08/2009 3:09 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'm back...finally....we had to turn off paved roads and travel a few miles down dirt roads to get to where we were staying in LeRoy Michigan for the last part of the week....wow!

And yeah, there were Turkeys in the roads.....alot of them....they wouldn't move, I had to get out and chase them away.

Glad you're back; hope you and your family had a really good time. :D

It sure is a funny thing with all those turkeys around there! Thanks for mentioning it. 8)

I think the the Nascar boys will knock down a few with their big rigs and motor homes this weekend. :shock:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 16/08/2009 6:57 pm
Page 2 / 2