10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hi there-

The more observant among you may have noticed that I'm not around here even nearly as much as I was for a while. Just wanted to pop up a post to say that I'm still reading your stuff occasionally, playing the guitar a LOT and will be back soon.

My computer time, when I sat online for such a lot of time, was what I'm going to call a "smoking trigger," though, so a certain amount of behaviour modification is going with the decision to quit smoking. (Meaning I spend a lot less time online. Luckily, I have never been coordinated enough to smoke while playing guitar, so I can do even more of that.)

Anyway, I'm a month cig-free, and going strong, so hope to be around more in the near future...

BEst,
Ande

Posted : 12/04/2011 8:02 pm
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

Good news, Ande. Keep at it day by day.

Nothing better you can do than break all of those routines, and play the guitar. Got to keep those fingers busy.

Posted : 12/04/2011 8:48 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again Ande,

Great to hear about your successful month. You're past the worst, now keep marching onward in a guitar filled future. Clever strategy you got there. :D

Chris

Posted : 12/04/2011 11:04 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Great news Ande!! Keep up the good work!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 13/04/2011 2:53 am
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Awww, Thanks guys!

It hasn't been too bad so far. Money saved goes 50%/50%, into the amp fund and the diaper fund. (diaper=nappy, for you British types.) Thinking about those two things makes it a LOT easier.

Played a gig last weekend. Used a zero nicotine e-cigarette for the gig, and it was okay. Most bars still allow smoking here, and I usually have a drink or two after we play, so I was worried about that one, but honestly, it wasn't bad.

Got a friend (our drummer) who is in the same spot, who is doing great too. My theory is that 90% of nicotine addiction is in the brain, so as a drummer, he's only 10% addicted. ;-)

Best,
Ande

Posted : 13/04/2011 10:28 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats! You did it! From now it is easier.

And keep playing, too!

Posted : 13/04/2011 12:41 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Got a friend (our drummer) who is in the same spot, who is doing great too. My theory is that 90% of nicotine addiction is in the brain, so as a drummer, he's only 10% addicted. ;-)

Brilliant! and of course well done for getting so far :D

Posted : 13/04/2011 7:04 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Funny analogy on your band mate.

Seriously, though, big kudos ang congrats. S simoked for 26 years (IIRC-math required) and have been smoke free since Sept something, 2009. The first month was the hardest, and each month gets easier. The one thing I was not looking forward to was the occasional trigger moments that pop up. I was dreading those, actually. They have not affected me nearly as bad as I thought they would. I still get them almost every week, many times per week. They are simply brushed off now as, "Doh! I don't smoke" moments.

That doesn't mean I don't slow down when I walk outside of a restaraunt and inhale a mass quantity of poluted air if there are smokers outside. Aside from that, though, I am totally smoke free still.

What are e-cigarettes? I'll google. I don't think I want any darned habit forming thing, so maybe I won't.

Congrats!!!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/04/2011 9:21 pm
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Two years, after 26 years- WELL DONE ROY!

Ecig is a little inhaler device. Simulates a ciggie. YOu can "smoke" them with or without nicotine. It really DOES have the feeling of a cig, to me. Personally, if you've made it this far, I wouldn't touch'em with a stick. (ANything can be a slippery slope.)

To folks who are still smoking, though, it seems like a much safer alternative, and also a good way to quit.

Best,
Ande

PS- AND you can use the ecig on stage without worrying about spilling your ashtray. ;-) Do you guys who gig smoke/drink during the set? I never did, but have seen a lot of bands doing this recently. Not sure what I think...

Posted : 14/04/2011 2:16 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

PS- AND you can use the ecig on stage without worrying about spilling your ashtray. Do you guys who gig smoke/drink during the set? I never did, but have seen a lot of bands doing this recently. Not sure what I think...
Wow, it became the norm not to smoke on stage. Not everyone did it, but enough did that you didn't think about it. Heck, when I was growing up, people on talk shows smoked right there on the spot. I'm getting old. It's probably down to Keith and Ronnie now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 14/04/2011 7:59 am