Clear all

I know a Bass Player....

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I used to work with the guy and just learned he moved right around the corner from me. He plays Bass and has played in bands. I'm trying to get the nerve to ask if he wants to play some. I know I'm way under his league, but we MIGHT be able to do some things.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/09/2006 4:54 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I used to work with the guy and just learned he moved right around the corner from me. He plays Bass and has played in bands. I'm trying to get the nerve to ask if he wants to play some. I know I'm way under his league, but we MIGHT be able to do some things.....

That's what you said about your last musical get together. Remember how cool that was?

Grab your son and you 3 need to jam some more.

Let us know how things work out.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/09/2006 6:53 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That's what you said about your last musical get together. Remember how cool that was?

Good point. I'll have to stop by and ask him. They just had a new baby, so I'm sure he'll be up to a couple of hours break.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/09/2006 3:22 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

rparker wrote: They just had a new baby, so I'm sure he'll be up to a couple of hours break.

Uhh, his wife is probably up for a couple hours break. Tell him to bring the baby along and you guys jam on some sweet lullabies. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 17/09/2006 4:01 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

A while back I went to this guys house that I work with, he is a bass player. We jammed most of a day but when it was all down.. nothing else was said about it. I mean, we never really talked about that day again and I know this guy pretty well. I just figured that he was way out of my league and that he didnt want to play with me. Well, skip forward to now and as fate would have it.. he eventually became the bass player in my band. Come to find out he felt the same way.. that he wasnt good enough and this guy is really pretty darn good.

I'm just trying to say that its really not about who is good or bad.. When you get together with someone then you are going to find some stuff you both can play and it wont talk very long for both of you to start taking chances outside your "box" and you will get better, faster than you will imagine.

Playing in a band has been so helpful. Go do it!! :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 18/09/2006 11:30 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, I just emailed him. I'll find out soon enough.

Roy

Posted : 18/09/2006 11:53 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I say invite him over for a fun jam. I've come to realize that alot of musicians, no matter what their skill level, are very insecure about their playing. Just getting together with a buddy to jam for fun is different than auditioning for a band. It should be fun, who cares if you mess up here or there! Pick some easy songs and have at it. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/09/2006 11:57 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

That's quite a musical neighbourhood you live in there. :wink:

Hope it all goes well for you.

Keep us informed.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 18/09/2006 3:56 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yep, I say invite him over for a fun jam. I've come to realize that alot of musicians, no matter what their skill level, are very insecure about their playing. Just getting together with a buddy to jam for fun is different than auditioning for a band. It should be fun, who cares if you mess up here or there! Pick some easy songs and have at it. :D

Dan

Great point!
Another thing i've noticed is that most musicians won't pass up the chance for a good jam, even if it's with players who aren't quite as skilled as themself!

Posted : 19/09/2006 2:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here's the latest. He's up on the idea. One of the next few weekends we'll do something. Time is tight for him as he has a new born. We'll go from there!

Roy

Posted : 27/09/2006 3:11 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Here's the latest. He's up on the idea. One of the next few weekends we'll do something. Time is tight for him as he has a new born. We'll go from there!

Don't forget to leave the camcorder running when you fire up your gear. :D

Bish

Posted : 27/09/2006 4:53 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Awesome! 8)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 28/09/2006 6:53 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's on for this Sunday!!!! Now I'm nervous as heck. :lol:

Roy

Posted : 09/10/2006 6:41 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Put your cheek up to the monitor so we can slap you. :roll:

You'll do fine. I expect a report, bro. :roll: :D

Bish

Posted : 09/10/2006 6:45 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey rparker,

thats awesome, Im sure it will be great. Let us know how it goes.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 09/10/2006 8:23 pm
Page 1 / 2