Clear all

If anyone's got a prayer to spare.....

138 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
14.2 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy I make it a point to flirt and compliment the "vampire ladies" at my doctor's office.
I was coming out of sedation from my last Myringotomy and found myself in a discussion with the young lady about her under-garments. I quickly sobered and tried to change topic, but she was on a roll. My wife came into the post-op afterwards and a few minutes went by before the nurse returned with some more info on her preferred type of under-garment. When she left, my wife asked me "why was she talking to you about her panties?" I told her that I had no idea, but I'm sure I started it. Normally a husband would get beating about that point, but she's heard some of the things I've said going in and out of sedation. It was a totally understandable explanation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I also told a dental assistant coming out of dental surgery, "Have I ever told you that I love you?" I don't think I'd ever made someone drop to the floor in laughter before. Must of been the way I said it. :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/10/2010 7:41 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

The difference between a regular blood test and a blood gas test is the placement of the needle. The regular test takes blood from any vein. The blood gas test is done through an artery, usually taken out of the wrist (the side where you can feel your pulse). This area is FULL of nerves and, unless they get it in there perfectly, they're going to hit at least one nerve and it hurts like H E Double hockey sticks!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/10/2010 5:02 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

EB, that's pretty much what I read. I also read of another place Males can get it done from. I've grown quite immuned to the anxieties of the medical world the past few years, but I ain't that tough. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/10/2010 5:09 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marilyn doesn't like needles AT ALL....tends to get clammy and sweaty at the thought of blood tests. The blood gas tests are something else, though....extremely painful, according to her.

Still improving - she's even been out a couple of times to the Doc's and the supermarket, on her mobility scooter. Meds seem to be sorted out OK - no adverse reactions to anything, even though she's taking quite a few different tablets.

So it doesn't look as if any more prayers are needed for the moment....although if you want to keep your fingers crossed, that's fine by me. Obviously, not when you're playing guitar....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/10/2010 8:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! I bet she really dug getting out for a bit. 8)

Roy

Posted : 22/10/2010 9:14 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Funny thing about a blood gas is that it doesn't hurt at all when you are the one "holding" the needle. :mrgreen: I'm glad Marilyn is doing well Vic. Tell her to keep up the good work.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 23/10/2010 1:29 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Funny thing about a blood gas is that it doesn't hurt at all when you are the one "holding" the needle. :mrgreen: I'm glad Marilyn is doing well Vic. Tell her to keep up the good work.

Strange, too, that the large bore needles they use when you're donating blood don't hurt half as much as the tiny ones! I've given a few pints of the good stuff (ABneg) over the years, and I've never once felt the needle go in. I often wonder if the "lucky" recipient had a sudden craving for a pint of lager, a ciggie and an Indian Curry!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/10/2010 11:14 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think in my case, an non-coffee drinker would get some serius shakes & jitters. :lol:

Roy

Posted : 23/10/2010 11:30 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Vic,

It sounds like Marilyn is making leaps and bounds on improvements.

I'm glad to hear she's rocketing back up.

Thanks for the updates.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 23/10/2010 12:10 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One little unexpected side effect of all this - Marilyn's given up smoking!!! It's not the cure I'd recommend, but heck, it's worked. 100%. She hasn't had a cigarette since the middle of August (the first time she went in Hospital) and says she has no desire to ever smoke again. After smoking at least 20 a day for 40 years!!!!

So - now I've got to quit. T'ain't fair if one partner smokes, the other doesn't. I promised last weekend I'd quit as soon as I finished the tobacco I'd got left....and that moment is nearly here. Got enough for about 2-3 roll-ups, then that's it. And all the shops are shut! Oh well....wish ME luck! Tried before, with some success, but always failed ultimately...this time I'm serious.

Goodbye cigarettes, goodbye cough, goodbye phlegm, goodbye to all that.....

Vic

Posted : 23/10/2010 8:58 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Vic, don't smoke it all up and be out.

Leave some there so you can practice your will power. Seriously, if it's not in the house you'll want it more.

If it is, you choose when and how to consume it.

Good luck man. You know we are 100% behind you.

And that is fantastic for Marilyn.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 24/10/2010 3:11 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Excellent news Vic, I'm really pleased Marilyn is doing so well :-)

Lots of luck to you on giving up smoking - I'm sure you can do it :-)

Posted : 24/10/2010 9:05 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Seconded - all my best to Marilyn and good luck with the smoking! :D

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 24/10/2010 9:14 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You know, one day you will cross your arms and say <>-it, and the will power becomes bullheadedness.

I had Chantix on my side, too, btw, but many millions have quit long before that came around.

Best of luck dude!

Roy

Posted : 24/10/2010 10:24 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good news and good luck Vic! You can do it!

Posted : 25/10/2010 11:05 am
Page 9 / 10