Clear all

International Aid to Burma

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

Yeah, don't give your stuff directly to Burma. Choose an international organization whose heart is in the right place. It's definitely a tough call, but there's a lot of people in trouble right now.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/05/2008 4:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

It's a shame that those people who survived the storms are now going to have to suffer more. I hope their government changes their position & let's aid workers in to help.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/05/2008 6:59 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I wish and pray to God for the well being of the people who are affected.

Posted : 11/05/2008 5:06 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Where did the banner go? We need to give money to China now.
ROFL

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 12/05/2008 3:45 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm confused.
I have this check made out to Tibet.
Where do I send it?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 12/05/2008 4:44 pm
(@davidhodge)

If you're serious about donating money for aid, for any country or emergency, your best bet is to go through the Red Cross or a similar aid agency of your choice.

If you're simply trying to make a joke out of things, take it elsewhere (there are plenty of forums, not to mention news listings that encourage commentary of all sorts, all over the Internet) or PM among yourselves or even PM me directly. You're all old enough and hopefully mature enough to do so.

According to what I've read, this last earthquake hit central China, mostly the Sichuan province. Paul wasn't in China at the time and his old digs were in Kunming, which is more southeast.

For those of you who haven't been around Guitar Noise all that long and are puzzled by the ads asking about aid for groups like the Red Cross, it's just something that we do here. Guitar Noise is, and always has been, a free guitar tutorial site. We make the money to keep it online and running from the advertising that we get.

We often get people asking if they can help by donating to the website, but Paul and I both feel that there are many other places that are deserving of your donations. And, especially in times of disasters (both natural - earthquakes, major storms (this past weekend's tornadoes in Oklahoma being just the latest), floods and the like - and man-made), it makes a lot of sense to help those who need it much more.

We're all part of a huge world. It's easy to say that you can't be of help to anyone, but the truth is that it only takes a little to make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Posted : 12/05/2008 5:03 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just mentioning this because David mentioned Oklahoma. I dont know what the national news is saying but the area that was hit by tornados (this time) is a little town in the northeast that previously did alot of mining. Because of the mining there is a large amount of lead in that land and many of the home owners arent able to get home owners insurance. Thus, being a small town it is pretty devestated and its doubtful that they will be able to rebuild there or anywhere else with out some sort of assistance. Now, that is what I have heard as well as a little common sense commentary mixed in.

Doesnt compare with what has happened in Burma or China, but I thought some might want to know.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/05/2008 6:32 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

And you don't always have to donate money.

You can always volunteer your time to the Red Cross or some
other organization which is sending supplies to these devastated areas

Blood Donors are always needed and supplies are low.
So roll up your sleeve and give a pint at your local donor center.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 12/05/2008 11:20 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

Generally speaking I hope that GN users can get into the habit of helping charities from time to time. I don't want to update the site every time there is a disaster somewhere as it does confuse people. But hopefully you'll all get a favorite charity and send them money a couple times a year.

I'm in Viet Nam at the moment and did feel yesterday's earthquake. I'm about 700 miles away so it should give you an indication of how powerful it really was. Not to say that one cause is more worthy than another - the Burma crisis is a little unprecedented. Even with a quick response (which they didn't get) the needless loss of life will be high. For all the criticism China receives about some things, they are really good at mobilizing relief efforts. Help will reach people in China quickly. Simply put, give a few dollars and spare a few hours when and where you can. We'll keep the free guitar lessons coming - and occasionally highlight stuff like this.

And for what it's worth, I took the call for Burma aid down the day before the China earthquake. The items are unrelated.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 13/05/2008 12:46 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's amazing how it seems like these things happen in bunches.

I cannot imagine the power of a 7-9. It's just plain beyond what I can comprehend. 700 miles away???? Incredible.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/05/2008 2:48 am