Clear all

July gigs for Southern Roots

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

We've had a busy month so far. Our singer(bless her l'il heart!) left us for a blues band, so we've been auditioning for her replacement :roll: It's amazing how many karaoke singers don't realize that singing with a band is a whole different animal.

We're also experimenting with adding keyboards. George needs to make a trip to Iowa in July to prepare for his second induction into the Iowa Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, so our drummer buddy Robb Horne has been practicing with us. George switched to keys temporarily while Robb is with us. There's a strong chance that Robb may join us full time

Short term, we simply continue as a 4 piece for a while. Having a "lead" singer isn't a large priority when all of us were rotating into the spot anyway. We'll just have to settle for 4 part harmonies 8)

Here's what we have coming up in July.

July 10: 6:00 - 9:00 PM
Namaw's Country Diner (with Robb Horne on drums)
16121 Goodes Bridge Rd
Amelia Court House, VA 23002-4850
(804) 561-6043

July 16: 8:00 PM to midnight
Hooah's Sports Grill
5380 Oaklawn Blvd.
Prince George, VA 23875
(804) 452-0022

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 14/06/2010 12:38 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Twang on bro! Kathy's got the blues, now you'll have to fill her shoes. I enjoyed your sites again. Enjoy the next gigs! :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 14/06/2010 4:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One day....you never know. I might just make it. Only a two hour drive. Good luck on your July gigs!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 14/06/2010 4:28 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Stay the current course. You guys will find another singer. You may even find that the band is better without! Good luck with the upcoming gigs!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 14/06/2010 9:13 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Good luck with the band and finding a new singer I know what you mean about the karaoke singers though. The problem I saw with the two or three "karaoke" stars that auditioned was that they could sing their one or two signature songs well but the rest...not so good.

The last guy we auditioned was running a couple karaoke nights at local bars so we went to check him out. He sang a couple songs one was Train Train by I beleive Blackfoot...and he really sang that well great job and he sang one other and sounded good and we were excited.

He came over for practice (we weren't playing Train) and sang some of the songs we play.....horrible. He claimed he didn't know the songs (Sunshine of your Love hasn't everyone heard that) so he was off ont he changes etc but after three auditions with little improvement we finally told him it wasn't going to work.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/06/2010 6:50 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Good luck with the band and finding a new singer I know what you mean about the karaoke singers though. The problem I saw with the two or three "karaoke" stars that auditioned was that they could sing their one or two signature songs well but the rest...not so good.

The thing that most karaoke singers don't realize is that no two performances are ever the same. There will likely be tempo variations, if the dance floor is full, maybe an extra lead break and repeat a verse to keep 'em up. You have to learn and watch for the cues that say, "ok - I'M done, back to you/pass the lead to Joe," or "Do the first/middle/last verse again," or "hit the middle 8 on through again."

I host karaoke shows as well as perform with a band, so I know exactly what ya mean.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Posted : 25/06/2010 10:16 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Our July 10 gig is canceled. Jason and Chris at Namaw's decided to bite the bullet and shut down for a few weeks to complete the remodeling they've been doing. Of course, this means they'll have a lot more room when we play there in September! :D

Posted : 25/06/2010 10:19 pm