Life is short - Update

32 Posts
17 Users
0 Reactions
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure exactly what to write here because I'm a little emotional as I write this. Many of you regulars know from my posts that we have had a garage band for a couple years now and finally played our first 'gig' Saturday at an outdoor birthday party. Everything seemed to be finally moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately as I write this now our guitar player is clinging to life after he had a massive heart attack at work yesterday. They had a lot of trouble getting shunts or stints or whatever they are called in his arteries as he had massive clogs from untreated cholesterol.

They worked several hours and finally got his heart working but as I write this he has no brain activity. I'm not sure if you can regain brain activity but I have a bad feeling that he won't based on how long he went without oxygen.

We are devasted and I'm having a hard time writing this now.

Life is short you have to enjoy every day and make sure you tell the people you care about how much they mean to you.

At this point the band isn't even a thought but I will at least have the memory of our friend Justin forever.

Unfortunately our friend Justin passed away yesterday morning after having another heart attack.

R.I.P. buddy we will miss you

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/08/2010 11:29 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Cnev.
I'm afraid no words can express sufficient comfort.
But my thoughts are with you and his family.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 04/08/2010 12:12 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So sorry to hear your sad news, Chris. We've probably all lost close friends and/or family members over the years, so we know how you're feeling right now. Like KR2 said, and like I said to someone else recently, words are inedequate at a time like this - but rest assured Justin's in good hands, and there'll be a lot of good people keeping him in their thoughts and prayers.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/08/2010 12:23 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, yea Vic it's tough this is the third close friend in the past couple years that this has happened too. Justin is still with us so I'm praying for a miracle but we still haven't heard anything yet.

It's just so surreal after finally getting out there to play and I know he enjoyed it and I think we finally got him over the hump to get out and play, it's just crazy how life works sometimes.

Posted : 04/08/2010 12:27 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your sad news cnev, my thoughts are with you and yours/his during this difficult time. I'm glad you guys did get out to play a gig before this happened, so you'll have that memory and he had the experience of performing in public as part of the band - I'm sure, as you said, he enjoyed that immensely and, you're totally right that the band isn't even a thought at a time like this, but you guys built something together and achieved your goals, even if it was just for one gig and you planned for more, but that achievement and teamwork is important, and I'm pleased you got to share that with him while there was still time.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 04/08/2010 2:02 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Sara it's all such a blur I feel for his wife and what she must be going through. I just pray that whatever happens he doesn't have to suffer.

I know I've ranted a bit on here about the band but we at the end of the day we all got along great and it was like our own little family it's so hard to beleive it's all gone in a flash.

Posted : 04/08/2010 2:13 pm
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I feel for you too cnev. I don't know how to say it, but my heart is saddened by your news and I too hope for that miracle. Modern medicine can sometimes work magic.

And you are correct. Life is short and we should try to enjoy and appreciate whatever each day brings to us.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:25 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Chris, I am sorry to hear your bad news. Each case is different and if he has no brain activity it is worst but if you remember my father had a heart attack the last summer (one year ago we are in the hospital). Now he needs some cares but he is pretty well. As I say it is different case, it is important to see his evolution in the next hours/days.

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:30 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Well said, Notes.
cnev, no matter how things shake out, I'm really happy you guys have had at least one chance to 'play out'. Sincerely hoping you get many more.
:)

Don

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:32 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about this. Life can really deal some devastating blows. But let's hope things work out in his favor.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:35 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It's been a tough day we haven't heard anything one way or the other although the last I heard he opened his eyes and I'll take that as a positive sign and hope and pray for the best.

Posted : 04/08/2010 4:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Crud! Man, I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know what to say. All my best to you, him, his other friends and family.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 04/08/2010 5:51 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Wow, just a couple of days ago you were worried about the chipped paint on one of your guitars. This kind of thing really puts everything in perspective.

Very sorry to hear the sad news. Thoughts and prayers headed your way and to your friend and his family that all works out for the best, whatever that may be.

Renee

Posted : 04/08/2010 6:12 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Prayers and Good Thoughts going out for you,your friend and his family.

Him opening his eyes should be a good sign.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 04/08/2010 6:14 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Renee, it's crazy how things work out but yes these things put everything in perspective

John, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Well one last update the have him sedated and chilled to preserve as much of his brain activity as they can. I guess he's relatively stable at this point but they still have more operating to do on his heart as all his arteries were blocked and they only have one fixed.

Right now the doctors are saying there is defnite brain damage but they do not know how bad the damage is and won't know for several days at least.

Posted : 04/08/2010 6:58 pm
Page 1 / 3