Clear all

Marathon

29 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I went out for my 1/2 hour walk around the neighborhood last night after work. I just got back into it since our winter weather is abating.

However, due to rain moving in faster than expected, that got chopped down to half the time due to the need to jog more aggressively in order to avoid the torrential downpours that soon ensued. :shock:

I didn't think I remembered how to run. Today my hip is say, "You don't remember." :oops: :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 25/04/2007 12:34 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll be glad to loan you my bear, Bish.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 25/04/2007 2:03 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'll be glad to loan you my bear, Bish.

Well I know how to drop down and play dead but not sure what other benefits it would have.

Does it sing? :D

Bish

Posted : 25/04/2007 5:03 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The only Marathon that I ever finished was a chocolate bar :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 25/04/2007 5:14 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Anyone who can FINISH a marathon is a hero in my book. I've never gotten past 6 miles in my life!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 25/04/2007 10:54 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congrats to the marathoners!

I admire your athleticism and discipline and heart.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/04/2007 1:08 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I was just informed by my Chief at the fire department that one of our Junior firefighters is going to do the local triathalon in full bunker gear! :shock: Everything but the swimming part! I have a hard time even doing traffic control for it! He wanted to try to do it with a full SCBA pack too, but the chief said no, thank God!

I think you have to be a little nuts to just do one at all but he's in a little better shape than us old fogeys, so we are going to sponsor him $1.00 per meter per firefighter to be given to a local charity. (The local Red Cross, Margaret!)

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 26/04/2007 3:29 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I was just informed by my Chief at the fire department that one of our Junior firefighters is going to do the local triathalon in full bunker gear! :shock: Everything but the swimming part! I have a hard time even doing traffic control for it! He wanted to try to do it with a full SCBA pack too, but the chief said no, thank God!

I think you have to be a little nuts to just do one at all but he's in a little better shape than us old fogeys, so we are going to sponsor him $1.00 per meter per firefighter to be given to a local charity. (The local Red Cross, Margaret!)
WOOHOO!! Now there's a good cause! :D

Gee, I hope it's not hot weather when he does that triathlon wearing all that gear, or he may be needing some Red Cross assistance of his own. :shock:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/04/2007 3:36 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I know a guy who ran the Boston Marathon with 9 of his toenails having come off and his shoes squooshing around full of blood for the last several miles. Some folks are just a bit fanatical.

Posted : 26/04/2007 1:46 pm
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

I've run a few marathons and a couple of half's and I think that having a running partner really helps. Honestly though, there hasn't been a marathon that I didn't want to start walking at about mile 18 or so. But somehow the mind still pushes and motivates the body to the finish. Human willpower is truly amazing. If you don't think you can do something, there's a good chance you're lying to yourself and just don't know it! Congrats on the marathon Nuno. :)

PS-I read a quote on running that said "The miracle isn't that I finished; the miracle is that I started." That's always the toughest part, getting started. :wink:

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

Posted : 26/04/2007 3:44 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The miracle isn't that I finished; the miracle is that I started
Great quote! :D

Thanks everybody!

Posted : 26/04/2007 6:51 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I know a guy who ran the Boston Marathon with 9 of his toenails having come off and his shoes squooshing around full of blood for the last several miles. Some folks are just a bit fanatical.

That happens more than you think.

In our 7 mile "across town" run/walk that we have every year, I've finally started doing them. This will be my 3rd year at it. True as it is, I've seen those toe bleeders. It comes right through the socks and looks awful.

Bish

Posted : 26/04/2007 6:52 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I had one toenail come loose and flap around with some bleeding through my sock on one of those bike centuries. I can be a bit fanatical myself, I suppose. :roll:

Posted : 26/04/2007 8:03 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I once played in a softball tournament our hospital employee activity team held. I played left center field and we played games from 10AM til 5PM. I chased a lot of balls on a very hard dry field. It was like concrete. I lost several toe nails that day. I went home, took a bath, went to work and did a 12 hour shift in the ICU. A couple of my toe nails still aren't right. They grew back funny.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 26/04/2007 11:50 pm
Page 2 / 2