Clear all

Mike Walker - Jazz Lessons

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Quick update before I crash for the night (loooooong day....). Just had first lesson with Mike Walker (awesome awesome jazz and rock guitarist, go google him and you'll hear what I mean, seriously). The guy has EARS. No joke, he was right there, on everything I did. We basically worked out where I was currently at, so he has an idea of how to structure lessons and I have an idea what work is involved. I have various exercises to do over the next fortnight until our next lesson, but he really hammered home how one exercise can have a lot of depth to it, if you're listening close enough. Also did some work on my general, uh, attitude. That's ongoing.

I wish I'd found a teacher this "on" when I first picked up the guitar, but I'm glad to be studying with him now. Anyone in the NW who is serious about learning to play jazz (even as a hobby) or learning to improvise in general, you'd do well to check him out. He may have been a little harder on me because I said when asked why I wanted to play jazz that I eventually wanted to reach a point of complete freedom on my instrument, however unachievable that goal may be (I wanna work towards it, and suspect I shall be doing so my entire life, no matter how good I get), but he is totally on point, without being in any way difficult to work with - serious but relaxed, or chill.

He's based in Manchester (I travel out for lessons, hence why I'm only seeing him fortnightly), and is touring Europe this summer. I can't stress this enough - if you like music and get the chance to go see him play, do it. You wont be at all sorry. Details of his gigs/tour are on his myspace at http://www.myspace.com/mikejswalker

As a disclaimer: I get no reduction in my lesson fees for saying any/all of the above, and am affiliated only insofar as being a massive fan and eager student.

May post details of my first lesson tomorrow if that's of interest (I know a few people ask on here about what to look for in a teacher, and I think this guy was really on point for a first lesson, so thought it may be of use - let me know if so, and I will give you the gory details...).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 26/03/2010 9:42 pm