Clear all

More local success...

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

More big news from our music school - here's the press release we just sent out:

Two Plainfield teachers join Chicago Symphony Chorus

After auditioning singers for nearly two months, the Chicago Symphony Chorus has invited two Plainfield voice teachers to join the ensemble.

Baritone Robert Potsic and soprano Julie Kersaan will be performing with the Chicago Symphony Chorus during the summer 2010 season.

Mr. Potsic, a former member of Illinois' IMEA All-State choir, has appeared in productions throughout the US, Germany, Italy, and Bulgaria. He is a graduate of Western Michigan University, and received additional training at the American Institute of Musical Studies in Graz, Austria.

Ms. Kersaan, also a graduate of Western Michigan University, is a three-time state level winner of the National Association of Singing Teachers competition and was awarded a silver medal at the Georgy Dimitrov European Grand Prix of Choral Music.

Their debut performance will be Sunday June 18th during the Beethoven Festival's performances of the cantata “Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage” and the ninth symphony.

Both vocalists are on the teaching staff at Midwest Music Academy in Plainfield. For additional information, please contact the Academy at 815-254-5778.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 27/04/2010 12:32 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Congrats, Noteboat!
Man, your school seems to have been a huge success (is it around 2 years now?)...I'm not surprised, but it's fantastic when good things happen to great people. 8)
:)

Don

Posted : 27/04/2010 7:28 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey, thanks!

And yes, we're closing in on two years - August 18th is the anniversary. It's been quite the ride so far!

Posted : 27/04/2010 8:49 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very cool! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/04/2010 9:23 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats! I always knew that your school would be successful! How do you find the time for the chorus?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 28/04/2010 3:22 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice!!! Really happy that your school is flying

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 28/04/2010 3:24 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's not me in the chorus - it's both of my voice teachers. But finding time... I'm still working on that part :)

The bigger we get, the more there is to do. For instance, the chorus rehearsal schedule means I'll have to reschedule about 2/3 of the voice students at least once in the next few months. And we're running out of space (again), and I'd like to add viola and cello to the lessons we offer, and there's lots of other projects on the list to make the place even better...

But it's all good. It's a great way to make a living!

Posted : 28/04/2010 11:01 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! That's awesome to hear. Congrats out to your vocalists, and to you for helping to enable their success. :D :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/04/2010 2:31 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have to say, I am truly very happy for you. It makes me feel good to know that music education is really taking off in your neck of the woods. With all of the cut backs we have been experiencing, music is always the first to go. They are cutting back so much in my children's high school. For instance, my son was scheduled to take French Honors next year but now it is gone. Same for the music courses. All gone. :(

Hearing about your success really does warm my heart! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 30/04/2010 12:00 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Can't say it better than Blueline did, so I'm not going to try! It is heartening, though, in these austere times to see that people are still finding time for music. Good to see your school's covering such a wide range of musical disciplines too, both instrumentally and vocally. As Neil Young once said, "Long may you run!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/04/2010 12:20 am
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Great news! It's good to know that music education is alive and well. Congrats to the two vocalists. That's quite an honor, not to mention a regular gig for them and a feather in the cap for the school.

The public schools here in SE Arizona have also dropped huge parts of their music programs. Private teachers are filling some of the void and there's at least one church that has quite a good music program for kids. Somehow the public schools usually find a way to fund athletics, but are quick to drop music and art.

Renee

Posted : 30/04/2010 4:32 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The public schools here in SE Arizona have also dropped huge parts of their music programs.
That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear of that and others who've waid the same things over the past few years.

We're in a really great district. Our Arts program is still intact, but that's largly in part to us parents shelling out $10 a pop for seeing a show. Money well spent.
Somehow the public schools usually find a way to fund athletics, but are quick to drop music and art.
I'm sure the "sports vs arts" battle wages on and has some validity either way you look at it. Truth is, we need both.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/05/2010 12:28 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everybody!

Our school district arts programs are threatened too - music cuts were on the table this year at the school district, but largely survived the axes. They did eliminate an "arts coordinator" position, but left the teachers and bands in place. But many of the parents are nervous about the future of the programs, and I think that's helping private schools like ours.

If the district does make cuts next year (which seems likely), I think there are ways the community can step up and fill the gaps. I've talked with a lot of parents and band directors, and there seems to be enough energy and will to create a community music program to replace the one in the school system if necessary. And I know we're ready to help wherever we can.

Posted : 01/05/2010 2:18 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Many congrats! It was one of the best news I can read!

Posted : 02/05/2010 2:41 pm