Party Review

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This past Saturday the drummer I usually play with had a party at his house (not sure why I think it was for his birthday). This is the same one we played at last year before our other guitar player passed away.

Anyway it was pretty much the same setup food, beer and music. He has a fairly large concrete pad out in his back yard in front of his shed where he sets up the music etc. I brought my PA and he had invited a bunch of musicians to play.

The music started around 2-3 pm with a bunch of guys playing some blues and a few other tunes. the lineups kept switching with different players getting up and playing. There were 4-5 guitar players, 3 bass players, a keyboard player, 3 drummers but not really any singers.

I ended up bringing my daughter and my dogs. Most of my friends know that my daughter is a singer so they asked her to sing a couple songs but unfortunately she isn't really into classic rock/blues so didn't really know many songs. She asked if the knew White Rabbit which some of the guys did so they decided to play that.

She killed that one and got a standing ovation. She has a great voice but never really does much with her singing even though I always try and push her. I am hoping that after this she will get motivated to learn a few more songs and we can do them with the band.

So the last act of the night was myself and the other two guys from the band and our "new" guitar player who we hadn't played with in a couple months since we never found a singer.

Anyway it was probably a little after 8 and there weren't any lights so we only go to play 5 - 6 songs before it was over but I have to say we did rock the house and we did get a bunch of compliments which doesn't mean much but it's not bad considering we don't have a real singer.

I'll see if I can remember what we played:

Beer Drinkers/Hell raisers ( Bass player always has to play this)
Sunshine
Are you gonna go my way
Badge
White Room
You got another thing coming

I think there was another one but I can't remember.

All in all everything went fine, no nerves no mistakes so that was good.

We are auditioning a new guitar player tonight even though we have a killer one that will play with us he's kind of far so we can't just jamm when we want to with him and he is waiting for us to find a singer and then he'll come around. We are hoping to find someone closer that we can play a little more regularly with and see if we can get something started. At this point we definitely have enough songs to fill a night just need to find a frontman.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 03/08/2011 5:16 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like a really good time! I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 04/08/2011 2:00 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Terry yea this would have been great fit for you and your son plus we could have used a few more rock n rollers there...to much blues for my taste though.

Only bad thing was that by the time we started playing it was getting dark and we cut it short mostly because of the darkness but also he didn't have a permit and we didn't want neighbors to complain.

Several of us are going to do a similar thing at some apartment complex party at the end of August. I'm not sure of the details but basically we would just keep rotating and play for about 4 hrs.

I'm going to go down to the open mic tonight since these guys bust me every week about going. I just hate lugging all my stuff to play 4 - 5 songs it's not worth it to me.

Posted : 04/08/2011 5:33 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I just hate lugging all my stuff to play 4 - 5 songs it's not worth it to me.

Hmmm, sounds like you might be in the early stages of GASsing for some compact, ultra-portable gear. :wink:

Oh, wait, that's the other thread... :oops: :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 04/08/2011 11:44 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Kent,

Absolutely my next quest is to find a smaller 10 - 20 w amp so I don't have to lug the Fender around.

Posted : 05/08/2011 11:29 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a great party. Happy whatever-day to your friend. :D

I don't have a clue hwat motivates kids sometime. We've tried everything from enabling to pushing to doing nothing: Might have well done nothing. He just won't put in the time. I wish you best of luck finding material that will appese both your musical tastes.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/08/2011 9:05 am