Clear all

Really sad

26 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

A young girl was singled out at school and stabbed because she liked AC/DC, glad I don't goto school anymore.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/30/ustab.xml

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Posted : 31/08/2006 5:02 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

No doubt the attackers will just get a slap on the wrist :cry:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 31/08/2006 10:43 am
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

What happened to "live and let live"?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Posted : 31/08/2006 11:09 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I wonder what the outcome would have been if she had said, "Barry Manilow." That is REALLY messed up to be stabbed because someone doesn't agree/like with the music someone else likes. :evil: I don't care much for rap or country but I'm not gonna go around harming someone for it. I'm shaking my head as I type...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 31/08/2006 5:07 pm
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

As a parent that both scares and angers me.

I want my children to grow up being true to themselves, their likes and beliefs without the fear of being stabbed for it.

What happeneed to teaching children to appreciate the differences in other people and maybe learning something from it?

It's bad enough that most young girls are 'Britney' clones and are turning into this breed of American super b*tch, without drastic action being taken against anybody who doesn't conform to the 'ideal'.

I hope they are appropriately punished and not sent to the 'holiday camp' type youth offenders institues.

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 31/08/2006 7:47 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"most young girls are 'Britney' clones and are turning into this breed of American super b*tch,"

wow :?

#4491....

Posted : 31/08/2006 7:53 pm
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

It's true!

The attitudes some younger people posess today are aweful. Now I feel really old "In the good old days blah blah blah", but seriously... the violence, the language, lack of respect and ambition in young adults / monsters, is disappointing.

Posted : 31/08/2006 8:10 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It's true! the violence, the language, lack of respect and ambition in young adults / monsters, is disappointing.

I totally agree. My 15 year old nephew forgot to take his tennis racket to school (he's on the tennis team), completely his own fault, then he called my sister and rather than saying something like "Mom, I forgot my tennis racket. Could you please bring it to me?", the first words out of his mouth were "Where the f*** is my tennis racket?". Needless to say, she didn't take it to the school, and he had to sit out the entire practice. I wouldn't have taken it to him, either.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 31/08/2006 10:51 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good for her!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 01/09/2006 2:22 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

to be fair it's the parents fault imo. violent , rude kids are usually the product of messed up parents/familys

#4491....

Posted : 01/09/2006 3:22 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ohh, I am going to get bashed over this but I dont know that it is so much worse than it has ever been. When I was young, there were still these events that happened but with the 24/7 news mentality and the explosion of the internet... our daily trash is thrown out there and repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated .....

I remember several events as a child. Sixth grade, a guy in my school beat his grandparents to death with a baseball bat. In high school, 9th grade I think, an aquaintance and another guy broke into a teachers house.. raped and killed her... and there were quite a few occurances of the local "gangs" beating on kids. The point being that while this is very sad and horrific, certainly, it isnt something that has just started recently. BTW, I grew up in a pretty small town that would normally be considered safe.

However, I do agree that the attitudes of teens and such have (in general) really changed. But what do you expect, with both parents working and working to fulfill their own social lives there are alot of teens and, in fact, children that are left to raise themselves and they dont have the capacity to do that. Its no excuse, but I do believe its part of the problem. Sadly, I think it will only be fixed when a majority of parents (like myself) decide to take an active part in their childrens lives once again.

WHOA, can you tell that I started college classes again? Sorry for the essay folks. To summarize, it makes me sad to hear about things like this. :(

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:18 am
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

to be fair it's the parents fault imo. violent , rude kids are usually the product of messed up parents/familys

I have to say in most cases this is true. But sometimes, just sometimes it doesn't matter what kind of parents you are, the kid is just bad. I know from personal experience.

My step-son was one of these out of control kids. We regularly met with his school, social and child services, tried everything within our power and then some to help him.

Unfortunately he carried on, was expelled from three schools, mixed with the 'wrong crowd' and ended up comiting various petty crimes. Over the years he spent time in various youth offenders institues across the country and to be honest they were more like hotels than a form of punishment. Swimming pool, basketball court, t.v, video and games consoles in their 'private' rooms. I spoke to a few of the kids in these places and they admitted that they re-offended because these places were better than home.

In contrast my-step son had a perfectly happy home, family that loves him, yet for some reason he just continued to behave like that. He would go missing for weeks on end, the police got to the point where they wouldn't start seriously looking for three weeks, he would steal from us and the extended family, he even broke in to our neighbours house and stole from them. We moved. Twice.

The downward spiral continued into more serious crimes and drugs, I'm ashamed to say he's now serving four years in a real prison.

His dad, my husband had a nervous breakdown because of it, our marriage has suffered and we as a family have been through the emotional wringer several times over.

One of the hardest things to deal with was the looks we'd get from people, the police, the various agencies that only got involved after he was sent away and then only served to point the finger of blame at us. It's insulting and humiliating. Especially when my other step-son (the oldest) and our other two children are perfectly happy, well adjusted and doing well in all areas of their lives.

I personally believe that my step-sons' problem is psychological, rather than a parenting issue.

He now fully admits that he was an @sshole for no other reason then he is an @sshole.

Some kids are just bad no matter what kind of parents you are and what you do for them.

Some kids are bad because you are horrible parents and set no example.

Some kids are bad because the corporate media encourage the hip-hop ganster culture, telling young kids it's ok to "Smack Your B*tch Up" and stuff your pregnant girlfriend into the trunk of your car and drive off a bridge into a big river. That guns and drugs make you look cool and it's ok to direspect women, because they're all ho's anyway.

We sell this image to our children in t.v, music, magazines, movies, games and the internet. We do this and then wonder why kids are aggresive and full of attitude.

We're *ALL* responsible, not just the parents.

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:20 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Pet, you said it all right here.."We're *ALL* responsible, not just the parents."--thanks

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:34 am
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Ohh, I am going to get bashed over this but I dont know that it is so much worse than it has ever been. When I was young, there were still these events that happened but with the 24/7 news mentality and the explosion of the internet... our daily trash is thrown out there and repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated .....

I remember several events as a child. Sixth grade, a guy in my school beat his grandparents to death with a baseball bat. In high school, 9th grade I think, an aquaintance and another guy broke into a teachers house.. raped and killed her... and there were quite a few occurances of the local "gangs" beating on kids. The point being that while this is very sad and horrific, certainly, it isnt something that has just started recently. BTW, I grew up in a pretty small town that would normally be considered safe.

However, I do agree that the attitudes of teens and such have (in general) really changed. But what do you expect, with both parents working and working to fulfill their own social lives there are alot of teens and, in fact, children that are left to raise themselves and they dont have the capacity to do that. Its no excuse, but I do believe its part of the problem. Sadly, I think it will only be fixed when a majority of parents (like myself) decide to take an active part in their childrens lives once again.

WHOA, can you tell that I started college classes again? Sorry for the essay folks. To summarize, it makes me sad to hear about things like this. :(

Jim
Oh I doubt it's a 'new' thing, but it is more wide spread / regular behaviour from children today.

I think it's comendable that women want to go back to work and contribute towards the household after having children, but I think employers could be more accomodating towards the working parent families. Flexy time or remote terminal access so parents can work from home, creshes at work, good childcare without the crucifying prices, oh and stop the wage divide between men and women with the same jobs doing exactly the same work, then maybe men who wanted to could be stay at home dads.

I was having a conversation with my oldest sons' teacher on parent's evening, she much commenting on how much effort he puts in to his projects and the rest of his classes, where as other children tend to have a few sujects they don't like and don't try as hard. Of course I was proud, he's awesome, naturally. He got above adverage grades on his recent S.A.T's and is the best student in his YEAR! I was telling her that although school can give a child facts and information, it's up to the parents to truely inspire their children. I find that most parents leave their childs education up to the school and take no responsibility for it themselves, then blame the school if they don't get top grades.

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:59 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Its' fair to say its' the parents fault

I find that staement only 5 % true the majority of parents do the right thing and raise their children up to be respectable young adults .
The problem in many societies today is the governing bodies , politics sorry to bring them into this but its true .

When I was a boy and did something wrong ( very bad actually ) a swift kick up the backside was forth coming and deserving .
Today give your child a slap and your are on child abuse charges I do not condone child abuse at all . But every child in their life has done or will do something that a kick up the backside would / will make them think about their actions again.

I am a dad of 3 2 daughters and a son , all very decent human beings my girls are 23 and 20 my son 14 . My eldest daughter read this and said the exact same thing as I am writting .

Trip down memory lane coming up - When I was a lad and attending school from the age of 12 to 15 ( I left school at 15 ) every Monday morning I would report to the office and recieve the cane ( bamboo hit across my each hand once )
Why ? well the Head master told me he would be still behind come Fridayin dishing out punishment to me .

Don't cast asspersions on those we don't know , Yes that story is sad and I love ac/dc , no reason to hate me is it ?

What really did happen in the events leading up to this ?
Is the question I want to know .

ps

Good to see you around again pet

hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 01/09/2006 10:28 am
Page 1 / 2