Clear all

Riverside Jam 2005 Mystery Man

99 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
30.9 K Views
 Qui
(@qui)

This years Riverside Jam was a lot of fun for me. I actually enjoyed playing, which for me is an improvement. Thank all people there for making me feel comfortable. It went really well. Good job everyone.

Posted : 10/08/2005 2:57 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I'm all for that. Glad you had a good time too! As so, could you reply with your name? I'm absolutely terrible with names. But it may help me. I saw "lil laz" in your sig. so I'm in the ball park.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 10/08/2005 5:26 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm all for that. Glad you had a good time too! As so, could you reply with your name? I'm absolutely terrible with names. But it may help me. I saw "lil laz" in your sig. so I'm in the ball park.

"Qui" was the alto sax player.

Not everyone likes to use their real names online...

Big Laz

Posted : 10/08/2005 1:24 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This years Riverside Jam was a lot of fun for me. I actually enjoyed playing, which for me is an improvement. Thank all people there for making me feel comfortable. It went really well. Good job everyone.

And thank you "Qui" for helping out the trumpet player -- it helped her confidence and enjoyment of the jam as well.

-G

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 10/08/2005 2:31 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Thank you!
And this is your official welcome to the Musical Madhouse!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/08/2005 4:17 pm
 Qui
(@qui)

I also wanted to say that I think that everyone who participated in this jam has improved from the previous jams. I have been to a lot of these and everyone that I have seen play more than once has become more self confident, and a better player. Many have learned to use thier voices or became stronger at thier intrument and this year it showed. I'm happy that so many of you guys are improving so quickly and that I got to be apart of most of it. I can't wait to see what the next jam brings.

Posted : 11/08/2005 3:11 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. It's interesting to hear the opinions of anyone who attends these jams (either players or simply those who come to listen & enjoy). I'll be certain to see how things progress as the RS's come along. How many more days until the next one? It's killin' me to wait that long to have some more fun. Maybe two times a year would work.....

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 11/08/2005 4:01 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

So who the heck is the "Mystery Man"?

Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

Glad to hear y'all had fun! Nothing like a good get together with friends and family! :D

I look forward to more pictures……… and maybe a sound clip?

Glad to hear to guys and gals had fun and as “Lil'Laz” pointed out, progressing. That's what it's all about. Keep up the good work.

Posted : 11/08/2005 4:01 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Don't think there are any sound clips. We can tell you what was played. I played a handful of tunes in the first four sets and all of the fifth set, the one to which I officially belonged. IIRC, the fifth set included:

Beast of Burden (The Stones) Vocal - Nick; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
She Drives Me Crazy (FYC) Vocal - Nick; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
I Need You Tonight (INXS) Vocal - Nick; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
Jimmy Olsen's Blues (Spin Doctors) Vocal - Nick; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) Vocal - Paul; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
A Message to Rudy (The Specials) Vocal - Dan; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
Anne's Dirty Blues Song (Original by Anne) Vocal - Anne; Drums - Dan; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg
Safe European Home (The Clash) Vocal - Dan; Drums - Anne; Bass - Tony; Guitars - Jeff, Greg

Nick = Nick (yes, that Nick, a mysterious guy)
Tony = Tony N. -- a fab guitarist doing bass duty for us
Paul = Paul -- a guy with a great set of growlin' pipes and an Ovation guitar that gives Willie Nelson's Trigger a run for its money
Jeff = jbrownstein -- fantastic rhythm guitarist with some nice lead chops
Anne = Anne O., longtime fave drummer
Dan = local young guy (think that's his name -- he sang well!)
Greg = me

I think we kicked a bit of @ss on at least a couple of these tunes.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 11/08/2005 8:23 am
(@davidhodge)

I can give you the lowdown on the night's second set (which is where the first photo is from) as I had the honor of putting it together and directing it:

Two Hangmen (originally by Mason Proffitt)

Hey Jealousy (Gin Blossoms)

One (U2 but we did it more along the lines of Johnny Cash's cover version)

Summer Wages (Dave Bronberg)

Only Living Boy In New York (Simon & Garfunkel)

Ophelia (The Band)

The Thrill Is Gone (B. B. King)

Amazing Grace

Personnel for what I affectionately dubbed "The Stragglers Set" was as follows:

Karen - piano (lead on Summer Wages)
Jeff - rhythm electric guitar (lead on Rain King) and percussion
Dennis (our own Corbind) - rhythm guitar
Tim (our own Musenfreund) - rhythm acoustic and electric guitar
Marcus (son of Tony) - drums (and considering he didn't get any chance to practice with anyone ahead of time, he deserves the set MVP award!)
Jose - acoustic guitar and vocals (lead vocals on One and Only Living Boy)
Paul - acoustic and electric guitar and vocals (lead vocals on Two Hangmen, Hey Jealousy, Rain King, Thrill and Amazing Grace)
Mike - lead guitar on Ophelia, Thrill and Amazing Grace
Greg - lead guitar on Ophelia, Thrill and Amazing Grace
Mysterious Nick - acoustic guitar and vocals (lead vocals on Summer Wages, Ophelia and Thrill)
Me - 12 string guitar (first four songs) and bass (the rest of them)

It was a blast!

Peace

Posted : 11/08/2005 11:48 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The guy with the fine hat and glasses combo is me.

Greg, Anne and Jeff's set also included "I'll be around" with special guest David "Melodica" Hodge doing backup vocals, (Pipping, as we like to call it.)

Posted : 11/08/2005 12:08 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Who was the guy to your right, Nick, with the very dubious shirt and used-car-salesman smile?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 11/08/2005 5:33 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The flowered shirt? Jose. I believe the smile comes from listening to Nick begin to sing about "all the bars down on Young Street" -- you could tell that Nick really felt those lyrics!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 11/08/2005 6:15 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Great job by Lil Laz and the whole family band! It's great to see all the kids get into the act. And Marcus did a great job on drums. Wish I had that kind of opportunity when I was a kid.
Dennis, the string went on "Sexy Little Man", practically right out of the box. Guess I got a little excited!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 11/08/2005 10:32 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

I echo Lil Laz, GNease and others; I had a great time! Enjoyed hearing everyone. I think we all kicked a bit of @ss on each set. I have Rain King stuck in my head the last few days, alternating with several other songs that I didn't know or didn't know well before this last weekend.

Since we're doing set lists, details of the Family Set, aka the third set:

I'm a Believer (Laura, Dan, Jacqui, Anne, Ben on guitar, Nick as a Pip)
Runaway (Laura, Dan, Anne, Ben on guitar)
Hotel California (Laura, Jeff on amazing guitar, playing the 'fast' version, Anne, Ben on bass)
What I like about you (Laura, Dan, Anne, Ben on guitar, Jeff and Greg, Pips (was that you Mysterious One, plus all the audience Pips!)
Somebody to Love (Laura, Dan, Anne, Jeff and Greg)
Get Ready (Laura, Dan, Jacqui on alto, Ben on tenor, Sydney on trumpet, David with harmony )
Wild Night (Laura, Dan, Jacqui, Karen, David on guitar, Anne)
Something to Talk About (Laura, Dan, Karen, Anne, Ben on tenor)
Winter, a Hodge original (Laura, Dan, Anne, David on piano)
Summertime (Laura, Dan, Jacqui on alto, Anne, Karen)
Moondance (Laura, Dan, Jacqui on flute, Ben on tenor, Karen, Anne, Kathy on 12-string)

Who did what: (in no particular order)
Dan plays bass
Jacqui plays alto sax (flute on Moondance)
Ben plays rhythm electric (sax on Moondance and Get Ready, bass on Hotel California)
Karen plays piano
Sydney plays trumpet
David as a Pip and piano man
Nick, Mojo Pip
Anne plays drums
Jeff plays wicked rhythm
Greg plays wicked lead
Kathy plays gorgeous rhythm
Laura (me) sings, mostly with a little rhythm just for fun

All in all, a fabulous night... Can I just get one more....

Posted : 12/08/2005 3:15 am
Page 2 / 7