30.9 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I can even tell you the line being sung:

"And in all the beer parlors....."

Posted : 14/08/2005 12:22 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I gotta say, I was absolutely amazed at how many guitars I was at the RJ. I looked at the guitar stand and thought I was at Sam Ash. And, now, looking at that last picture, I see everyone on stage and see all the guitars still in the stand to the left knowing there was also a stand (provided by Anne) on the right of the stage full of guitars. Mind-blowing.

Mike, I'd love to see you at the next RJ. What do you have to lose? It was my Freshman year there and I felt really comfortable with it and that's sayin' alot. I'm normally really the worrysome sort. Still, I felt comfortable with everyone even though I knew most had been playing for decades. It's just a good vibe with the "crew." Maybe I'm wrong, but just what I felt in my limited time there.

My estimation is not how well you play but just get in there and do what you can. It's funny because that's what I've been told when David used to live in Chicago. Play what you can. I've always felt at ease with that. Certainly I've always been low-key (based on my crazy personality) but I await your arrival at the next jam. And that goes for anyone.

But if Wes or Joe (Forrock star) show up I'll run in a corner and hide! (Just kiddin', but I'll still dig everything). :)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 14/08/2005 4:38 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here are the instruments I remember seeing over the weekend:

David: Guild maple 12-string, Liberty resonator guitar, Michael Kelly F-style mandolin, Gold Tone Banjo, Dano bass (lefty-all)
Tony: Strat, Guild Florentine-cutaway acoustic, natural-ash J-bass (ditto-lefty)
Karen: Electric piano/keyboard
Tim: Alvarez RD20 acoustic, Alvarez Strat
Kathy: Taylor 12-string, Rickenbacker electric 12-string, melodica
Jose: Fender acoustic
Nick: Washburn D70SW Golden Harvest acoustic, melodica
Paul: Seventies-style Strat (maybe this was Kathy's or Mike's), "the original prototype" Ovation acoustic -- has to be seen to be believed -- it's a real road warrior
Dennis: Gibson SG
Jeff: Washburn dual 'bucker Tele-shaped electric, Olympia by Tacoma travel guitar, vintage Mutron phase-shifter (Jeff is now known as Jimmy Mutron)
Mike: G&L ASAT, Taylor? acoustic 6
Laz: P-bass
BabyDocLaz: Takamine 12-string
Other Lazes: Alto & tenor saxes, flutes, Epi Les Paul
Syd: Trumpet
Pete: Various saxes, PJ-bass
Anne: Drum kit, congas, myriad rhythm toys, Dean bass, Buddy Guy Strat
me: G&L S-500, Taylor T-5, micro-Korg synth

Of course, there must be others, as well as the wall of amps -- tube and not -- large and small, plus other effects besides the hallowed Mutron, but I'll let others fill these in if they wish. (Additions and corrections to my list are welcome.)

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 14/08/2005 4:31 pm
(@davidhodge)

Helping out:

It's a Michael Kelly mandolin, just to keep the MK folks happy (and I love it, by the way) and a Liberty Guitar, made by Bill Blue in Florida (and happy with this one, too!) Not mentioned in my list because I only played it Sunday on the riverboat is a Gold Tone 5 string banjo, also lefty.

It was like going to a music store! I got to play Tony's strat on Wild Night. And I'm almost dead positive that his acoustic is a Guild.

Peace

Posted : 14/08/2005 4:47 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The acoustic Alarez is an RD20, not a Yairi. Not that I wouldn't mind a Yairi, of course.

Greg, I'm amazed that you recall those guitars that well. Wow!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 14/08/2005 4:53 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thx guys -- I will fix 'em as you correct 'em.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 14/08/2005 4:59 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

BabyDoc played her Takamine 12-string (her beloved red Guild 6 does not leave home).

Pete had his own bass, which was one of those P-J hybrids. I don't recall the brand. He also borrowed my old P. He left the soprano at home.

-Laz

Posted : 14/08/2005 5:07 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Obviously, I'm mixing memories. In an case, Laz, maybe you'd like to take a crack a brief Riverside Jam chronology, starting from the first one you hosted in CT?

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 14/08/2005 5:25 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The Washburn is a '92 D70SW Golden Harvest.

Made by Tacoma I do believe, prior to Tacoma making Tacoma.

It's a little bit special. All solid wood, it has a three piece Brazilian Rosewood back, Ivory nut and saddle, Sitka top. The strings were spent on it, but I never got around to replacing them once I got there.

Posted : 14/08/2005 5:39 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Obviously, I'm mixing memories. In an case, Laz, maybe you'd like to take a crack a brief Riverside Jam chronology, starting from the first one you hosted in CT?

Well, here is the story of the first one: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=92

In Order:

2000 - Westport CT (Toquet Hall)
2001 - Chicago (Irish Heritage Center)
2002 - New Brunswick NJ (Rutgers)
2003 - Chicago (O'Callaghan's, a bar just off State Street)
2004 - Great Barrington MA (Berkshire Blues Club)
2005 - Elkhart IN (Green Room)

Each year is different, and each has it's special moments, some of which cannot be told until 20 years after the last participant dies. We started with 10 musicians the first year, and now we average around 20-25, which is about the logistical limit.

For the record, David, Greg, and Anne are the only ones to have attended every Riverside Jam. The Laz family missed 2003.

Don't forget that David and I have written lots of lessons on how to host your own jam, so feel free to start your own tradition. Greg has his Black Friday Jam, and the Laz clan hosts a Fireworks Jam.

-Laz

Posted : 14/08/2005 9:17 pm
(@annie)

you bet i haven't missed a jam. if i did, who the hell would play the damn drums?! you've got seventeen people with a myriad of stringed instruments scrambling for a solo and space in the front row. everybody's gotta be a star. "you know, guitar players always get the girls." whatever. but who's holding it down on the kit? some little pipsqueak of a broad with a ton of drums and a pissy attitude. little help maybe? thank god this year tony brought his son. you know, it's a good thing i show up to these events, i tell you. who supplies the power? who supplies the rhythm? who rocks your world, baby?

I DO! thank you very much.

:D

luv ya!

live free, love much, think deep

Posted : 14/08/2005 10:58 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That just goes to show, drummers don't get the R-E-S-P-E-C-T they deserve!

Now, how much do I owe you for the pizza?

Sorry, I know I'm gonna catch hell for that one!

It's all in good fun, Annie. I hope to meet you at the next one. If nothing else, you can beat me senseless.

Posted : 14/08/2005 11:21 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Now now Anne. Jeff does help with rhythm on congas and other toys you bring for folk to play with. And last year Wes brought his friend Kevin, who spelled you on the whole kit.

But Yes, YOU Rock Our World. And keep the beat, and even sing the blues too. Plus have the heaviest gear kit of all of us, even with the amps. You've been keeping us honest for DECADES! And you're not even old enough to do that....

Next East Coast Jam, we guarantee you a drummer; we've met an excellent one here. Then you can play the guitar, play the bass, sing torch Tush, dance with the cute guys, do your thing!

Right? :lol:

Posted : 15/08/2005 12:01 am
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

And yes, Tony's acoustic is a Guild. I wanted to pick it up many times, but, um, I'm not lefty...

And not talented enough to play it upside down.
:wink:

Posted : 15/08/2005 12:02 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

sing torch Tush

Is that the same Tush (by ZZ Top) I am thinking of, if so...... 8) I like your style!

I can't wait to me up with you guys and gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, Annie is going to wack me one! Don't fret, I'll take my licks like a man. :lol:

Posted : 15/08/2005 1:06 am
Page 4 / 7