Clear all

Rocksmith

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@neztok)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've been hearing a lot about the video game Rocksmith today. Sometime after christmas all guitar teachers should have some new students to correct all the bad "habits." Can you imagine just picking up your guitar and progressing without watching boring videos on youtube, learning scales, reading Hodge's books etc? Yeah, me neither. I haven't played it, so maybe I'm wrong.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/

Posted : 19/10/2011 12:38 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I can see some good in it. It will get people straping on a REAL guitar. Give them time behind a real fretboard, learning real fingering/strumming. Ive never been a fan of the 'driving down the highway" style that they have the notes coming at you. I would think a future guitarist would be better off learning to read the notes in a more normal way that they will find it in the real world. Not sure how much the game lets you cheat... and if the songs you learn will carry over to a real amp. Im sure my nephue will be getting it... He has been messing around with guitar, and also bass, and he is a HUGE gamer..

Paul B

Posted : 19/10/2011 8:55 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Being self taught can lead to bad habbits like wrapping your thumb around the neck and holding the guitar upside down. :lol:

Seriously, if it gets people picking up "real" guitars it can't be bad.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 19/10/2011 9:17 am
(@neztok)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

See TR, you're going to put guitar teachers out of business. Bad habits is all they have left.

Posted : 19/10/2011 11:15 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I can see it now ..... "For your next lesson I want you to be able to beat level 6" ..... :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 19/10/2011 2:14 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Have to confess I've read a lot of reviews, and have ordered a copy, I'm in a huge rut with the guitar at the moment, and I like the idea that is adjusts the difficulty depending on how well you play, It was dispatched a couple of days ago (from the USA - its not released in Europe until next year).

Will let you know what I think when it arrives..

Posted : 29/10/2011 12:58 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

You know... I have to say if I had a game system that would play it, I would probably get it. Its not that pricy, and wile not a replacement for normal lessons. I can see the advantage of having one more thing getting you up and playing guitar. The kids would like it also, and will get them up and playing a real guitar also.

Paul B

Posted : 29/10/2011 1:12 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Well, I managed to resist buying Guitar Hero, but that does look a little bit more tempting.

I guess if a game format can help provide some fun and keep the motivation up then maybe there's a place for it. I've certainly blown enough dough over the last 20+ years on other computer games, so maybe I could find room for one more...

It's not been released in Australia yet so I'll have time to get over the impulse buy stage before it gets here. It will be interesting to see what sort of feedback it gets from the general paying public as opposed to the folks in the PR clips.

Anybody here tried it yet?

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 30/10/2011 3:30 am