Clear all

Scrybe sighting......

42 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just got off the phone after talking to Scrybe. Seems she's had a pretty horrible year, been quite ill - I'll leave her to fill in the gory details as and when. The good news is, she's alive and well and, hopefully, we'll be meeting up in a few days when Dan (Laz) and Laura (Babydoclaz) come over to the UK. She's playing at a jam in Liverpool on Monday night, so if it's not too late (last train back is at 11pm-ish) I might just have to take a ride and see her play.....

I told her how much she's been missed around here, and she said she'll try and log in - IF she can remember her password! - and say hello in the near future.

I think that's worth an extra couple of smileys......

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/05/2009 9:50 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Definitely tell her she's missed! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 09/05/2009 10:22 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thanx for the update!

#4491....

Posted : 09/05/2009 11:23 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Kewl!
Did you tell her she missed the birthday party we had for her?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 10/05/2009 12:39 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic,

Thanks for the report.
Seems like it's been a rough year for a few people around here.
It's good to hear things are on the mend.

Please say hello to Dan and Laura for me.

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 10/05/2009 12:42 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Please say hello to Dan and Laura for me.

Because Vic's closer :shock:

Posted : 10/05/2009 1:33 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Yeah I realize now that was a little silly but he'll be seeing you in person.

It's been awhile.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:45 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very cool! 8) :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/05/2009 11:31 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

thanks for the news.
if you see her , say hello for me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 10/05/2009 1:21 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm in!!! I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!!! Woo hoo. And it only took me a full 24 hours of continual keyboard bashing to get the right combination of letters for my password!

Yup, I have been horrendously ill, but the good news is I'm back on the mend and back on the six string (at last, I was too ill to play much for most of the last year).

FWIW, I found out that kidneys are actually rather useful and, having been hospitalised a bunch of times with a kidney infection that wouldn't clear up, figure my masterplan of selling one to fund a JB signature strat is not too hot an idea after all. Hey, I can't now anyway, they're technically damaged goods. I fortunately avoided surgery, but did spend a long time feeling drained and shivering uncontrollably. I also managed to have a pretty serious angioedema during dental surgery, further delaying my return to life and music. And I've given up both alcohol and cigarettes. I've also taken up fountain pen collecting (a minor collection), but I'm not a geek! Honest! In the middle of this, both my computers died. One very seriously (but it is now repaired and awaiting my guitar to be run through it). The other I'm using for the internet, and it only works in safeboot mode, so my music listening is curtailed somewhat by the lack of sound. All in all, a small price to pay given how rotten the last year has been.

I also have some very outstanding business that I must take care of, which should be resolved sometime during the next week or so.

In completely unrelated news, I hope to be haunting the songwriting forums once again, and I met Mick Taylor*!! I mean, I'm not one to brag or anything, but I did! And he is very seriously kewl and charming (we talked music a fair bit, obviously).

*If you don't know who Mick Taylor is, go to your dictionary and look up the word "tone".

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:18 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe! Nice to see you back! :D

Glad to hear you're on the mend from you medical problems. Here's to better & healthier days!

Mick Taylor, only the nastiest guitar tone on the planet. Wish he was still with The Stones, but I love Ron Wood too. Lucky you! :mrgreen:

Take care & don't be a stranger. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:24 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Good to see you back - and back to GN denizen, too!

Don't know if you've checked out the SSG yet, but this week's assignment is in honour of your return!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:30 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

He absolutely killed it on Love In Vain too! I was stoked he played that. The gig was Stephen Dale Petit and his band, with Mick playing for around 3/4 of the set. He's playing a gig under his own name (I believe) in Tunbridge Wells in September, and the SDP tour continues through May, so I thoroughly recommend it to anyone UK-side.

He has two guitars, a Les Paul, and a White strat-copy. Both sounded great, even though the strat-copy looked like garbage. He used that for slide, but I think it was tuned to standard. And for the uber-geeks, he had three pedals - a Buddah wah, a red MXR box (drvie or signal boost probs as he used it before solos), and another one I don't recall him using. And the amp was a Fender Blues Deville.

Scrybe runs off to the SSG...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:39 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good to see you on the boards again! sorry to hear bout the kidneys tho.
we were worried some.

#4491....

Posted : 11/05/2009 12:08 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Aye, it started out feeling like flu, but it got much worse. I had to call an ambulance and knew how serious it was when they rushed me into the Majors ward of the A&E and the doctors there looked worried at the state I was in. I got sent up to the ESAU ward (emergency surgery admissions unit) and felt like I was in a surreal episode of House while the doctors discussed my diagnosis. An ultrasound showed I had no kidney stones, so they figured it was an infection, and I started responding well to the antibiotics they gave me (a mix of injections and IV treatment, which is bloody uncomfortable).

I got discharged fairly swiftly, with more antibiotics to take. I still felt pretty rotten, but thought I'd recover. Just over a week later, I started getting worse again, so ended up back in ESAU. This cycle repeats itself a bunch of times until the start of this year, pretty much. I've been having tests quite regularly since then, as a precaution, and have made some effort to cut back on the bad stuff in my diet like salt (I don't use a lot of bad stuff anyway).

Once I got the official "almost all clear" (the official "all clear" comes in a few months), I had the angioedema during dental work, and my upper lip swelled beyond my nose. Essentially, I looked like a duck. Surprisingly (to me, at least) my upper lip has been painful ever since, but the doc thinks this will fade in time.

The whole process was very draining. I just didn't have the energy to do anything much. I'm glad it is behind me and I can focus on getting back to 100% (I'm not too far off), and back to playing "music sweet music" as Jimi would sing.

And I've missed you guys!!!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 11/05/2009 12:25 am
Page 1 / 3