Clear all

So I get this phone call....

26 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I know exactly what you mean, Dennis - Stu seems to have an aversion to playing anything other than through the "clean" channel, whereas I hardly ever use it! (Having said that, on the "Dock Of The Bay" and "Stand By Me" clips, I was playing through the clean channel, albeit with a lot of chorus and reverb for a more acoustic guitar sound.)

We'd tried Hey Joe a couple of times previously that night - first time, I screwed up the words. Duh - how can you forget the lyrics to Hey Joe! (I also forgot the last verse in the recorded version!) Second time, I wasn't happy with the tone - I was using too much gain. I ended up changing from the "Brit Combo" to the "Black Panel" setting on the amp, with the gain turned down a touch. And yes, I did write the settings down so's I'd be able to recreate them!

Not sure what p/u setting Stu used - maybe if he tried the neck p/u for rhythm, and the bridge or bridge and middle for lead that'd help? I know he has a Marshall 25W amp, but I've never really looked at it to see what overdrive/gain settings he's got.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/01/2008 11:54 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Cool you hear what I'm hearing about his sound. In our band we play that Hendrix song, too, and I use (what I consider) too much gain or dirt. But I play my rhythm and turn down a bit so the other two guitars (which have cleaner patches) come out nice in the mix. And I could not remember the words to that songs, or really any song. Never had to sing so never an issue.

Keep postin' clips of you and whomever playing. I enjoy watching and listening. I think we all learn something from these.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/01/2008 7:56 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Seen it Vic,

Well I thought it was pretty good mate, liked the way you two shared the solo sections.

Sorry! but I told Rodders too.

He's the expert on all this Fender bending Hendrix stuff so I'll leave him to forward his thoughts personally.

All the best

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 21/01/2008 8:16 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Chris, it's one of those songs we could play at the GN UK get-together - chords are C, G, D, A and E. Nothing too taxing there! It's a cool song to jam to, you can drag it out forever....verse, solo, verse, another person solos, verse, another solo, etc......

food for thought?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/01/2008 11:52 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Chris, it's one of those songs we could play at the GN UK get-together - chords are C, G, D, A and E. Nothing too taxing there! It's a cool song to jam to, you can drag it out forever....verse, solo, verse, another person solos, verse, another solo, etc......

food for thought?

Vic

Man, if you guys do that, please post. I'd love to hear it. That's a fun song to play, and all's I know is the rhythm.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/01/2008 4:55 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Nice one Vic. Chris mailed me about this a while back but have just not had the time to look. I guess i should make more time.

I would be more than willing to jam that song :wink:

Rod.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 19/02/2008 8:14 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's great, Vic! :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 19/02/2008 8:48 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nicely done, Vic. Keep on the good work. :D

Posted : 20/02/2008 4:52 am
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Very cool, Vic! I don't know how I missed it when you posted back in December. Love that Tele!

Jim

Posted : 20/02/2008 2:06 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yepper, Good stuff !

#4491....

Posted : 20/02/2008 4:59 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Cool videos -sounds great :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools