Clear all

Sorrow turns to Joy

54 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think the biggest problem is getting them to eat and it seems you've been able to do that. The ones I found were about half that size or less, it's hard to remember but they were really small. I tried feeding them with an eyedropper and they did eat a little but I could keep it up.

I had the the same thing happen with a bunch of baby squirells only one out of four survived. The bad thing about that was after that mmy best friend gave me the nickname squirrel and I had to endure that for like the next ten years through high school and beyond.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/07/2007 6:35 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The bad thing about that was after that mmy best friend gave me the nickname squirrel and I had to endure that for like the next ten years through high school and beyond.

and beyond....ready for round two? :wink:

You should know to NOT give out those juicey details someone could run with. But, trust me, your secret is safe with me. :shock: Does this show? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/07/2007 6:45 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It wouldn't be the worst thing I've been called. I do have a thing for animals. Pretty much any kind. I never had much use for cats when I was young as we always had dogs and all the cats I ever tried to get close to either would scratch me or run away. But about 9 years ago I was at a park throwing a baseball with a friend and I felt something on my leg. I look down and it's this tiny little white kitten the size of a snowball.

I was with my girlfriend at the time and she a cat that lived with us and her(the cat) and I didn't see eye to eye so I didn't want another one, so I left the little kitty even though she asked me to bring it home. when I got home I told my oldest daughter who continued to bug me all night about how I could leave the kitten and why didn't I bring it home.

The next day we happened to be in the car near the same park which is on the other side of town and I was still hearing it about the cat. So I told the girlfriend and my daughter that I'd go back and if the cat was still there (yea right) I'd bring it home. So we head into the park which had this long descending road into it. When we got to the bottom where we were, lo and behold there was the little kitten still in the same spot I left her the day before.

So suddenly I'm the owner of a 2nd cat. I take her to the vet the next week and he looks at her says she's 6-8 weeks old and since she has blue eyes and she's white she'll probably be deaf also. (found out the was a genetic trait of white cats w/blue eyes)

Turns out the cat's eyes changed to a yellow-green and I still have her (I named her Jr after Dale Earnhardt Jr)and she is absolutley one of the best pets I've ever owned. She waits for me in the bedroom every night and when I get home she jumps up on the bed and rolls over like she got shot and wants me to pet her. She follows me everywhere and even puts up with my guitar playing. She also will go fetch a small ball and bring it back like a dog.

I love that little kittie she's like my best bud I don't know what's going to happen when she's gone I already went through it with a German Shepard we used to have. It was a sad day when we had to put him down.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/07/2007 7:13 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hey Cnev, I love cats and that's a touching story.

I have been telling mom to get one for me, but she's not sure if I could really take care of her.

Posted : 06/07/2007 7:25 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

What a great story, cnev.

But let's not go to the putting pets down part. That's a sad deal all in itself.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/07/2007 7:27 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

We have a colony of bunnies living under the neighbors shed. Our dachshund wants to get a hold of one badly! Luckily, I don't think she'd know what do with it if she did.

Bish, nice save bro! Why don't moles have this problem?? Those little buggers!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 06/07/2007 8:45 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

When I was a kid I had a golden retriever who loved to chase rabbits, one day he caught one and brought it to me. I'm looking at it's limp body in his mouth and I'm feeling really bad that the dog had killed it.

Ralf (his name) laid it at my feet, ten seconds later, the rabbit jumped straight up in the air and ran north, Ralf ran south, I ran west!

Apparently, when he grabbed the rabbit, it fainted and woke up when he put it down!

He never chased another rabbit again! :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 06/07/2007 9:27 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

just the other day, there was a turtle on the side of the road turned over on his back,
i stopped and turned him over, walked away fom him and watched him, a couple of minutes
later he came out of his shell and went on his merry way into the woods :D

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 06/07/2007 11:26 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

God bless you for that!

I think the lowest of lowlife actions that isn't punished by society as a heinous crime is probably the deliberate running over of turtles. I saw a guy in a big jacked up Chevy 4x4 veer to do that once on a lonely country road where I'd just passed the turtle feeling he'd be safe. Last summer or the summer before, I can't remember. There are a lot of guys who seem to think it's macho to kill cats, too. I think that's utterly despicable, but the cat's got a better chance of getting away than a turtle on a road, which is about as helpless as can be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 07/07/2007 4:05 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Ric,

I tottaly agree with you. When I lived in Florida, some of those "Good Ol Boy" A******S used to aim for armadillos also. I never understood why other to show how ignorant they were.

Hell, growing up in a major city, if it wasn't a rat or pigeon, I'd be fascinated!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 07/07/2007 5:48 am
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

That's a moving story cnev.
We get pretty broken up when one of our guinea pigs dies, it's amazing how attached you get.
We have a problem here with cats going feral - they escape into the bush , breed and become very large, then they become very destructive to wildlife. It's a shame. The same thing happened with cane toads, which were introduced to eat a beetle in the sugar cane fields, I think; then they just became like a plague and have endangered the wildlife because they are poisonous to eat. They've spread as far as Kakadu now. Hopefully they'll work out a humane way of stopping their breeding cycle, through genetics. :)

Posted : 07/07/2007 8:28 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

So you're in Oz, Violet. The cottontails are an introduced pest down there too, I hear, along with red-eared slider turtles from here.

Posted : 07/07/2007 1:57 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

Anybody that kills any living thing just for the "thrill of the kill" needs there ass removed!!
imho, if you eat what you kill, thats one thing, but to kill for the thrill is just wrong imho.

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 07/07/2007 10:05 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Eastern Box Turtle. Male. (His eyes are red.)

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Anybody that kills any living thing just for the "thrill of the kill" needs there donkey removed!!
imho, if you eat what you kill, thats one thing, but to kill for the thrill is just wrong imho.

Amen to that, Rocker. Man's always hunted for food - I see nothing wrong with killing for food. Killing for sport, however, sticks in my gut - what's sporting about shooting a helpless animal? Give it a sporting chance - give the deer a gun, teach it to shoot, and let's see who comes out on top.

I've got no beef with people owning guns, either - although it's more of an American thing than an English thing, hell, it's in your constitution - the right to bear arms, etc.

Trouble is these days, in the "nanny state" that the UK's becoming, the right to defend yourself from attack is laughed at. A couple of years ago, I was walking up to the off-license (American - liquor store) when a couple of kids stopped me. One of them pulled a knife on me - asked me for money. I laughed and made to move on. He stood in front of me again, and I told him, "Either get of my way or phone your parents up now and tell them to meet you in Warrrington Hospital, casualty department, in about an hour. Make it two hours if your mate hasn't got a mobile (cellphone) - send him across to the phone box across the road."

The brat didn't listen to reason - he waved the knife in my face, I took it off him. Threw it down a grid, asked him "OK do you want to try one-one-one - he didn't seem too keen, his mate had disappeared by now. I told him if he ever crossed my path again, I'd be seriously pissed off and he'd have a LONG stay in Warrington Hospital. He ran way.

It was only when I got home I realised I'd caught the knife by the blade - when Marilyn (the Mrs) pointed out I was leaking red blood cells on to a beige carpet.

But believe it or not, week later, the same kid tried it on again - asked me for a cigarette, when I refused, he pulled a knife on me and told me to give him ALL my cigarettes. So I held them out to him, as he moved to take them, I kicked him SOOO hard between the legs, I thought his whatsits were going to end up in orbit. He still had a knife - I was past caring, just kicked it out of his hand. Then hit him - quite a few times. Upshot was , HE sued ME for assault - even though he attacked me in the first place. I got fined £180 - that'd buy you a nice Squier Tele back then, with change to spare for a couple of sets of strings.

I spoke to my solicitor (lawyer) later. Didn't see why I should be held responsible for some idiot attacking me. He advised me to appeal against the decision - so I did, and my fine was increased to £375. On top of that, the kid who attacked me was awarded £1790 in compensation - apparently, I'd used unnecessary violence. "Totally over the top" was how one magistrate described it.

I'd used unnecessary violence - against a man (well, teenager) with a knife? I refused to pay the fine and ended up doing fourteen days in jail. The fine was quashed later, as I'd been to jail instead - the compensation order, however, stood. I had to pay some kid who'd attacked me with a knife.

I didn't let this one go - I got a different solicitor. This one seemed to know what he was doing - took the kid to pieces in the witness box, and the compensation order was quashed. I was awarded compensation money - nearly £5000 - for unlawful imprisonment. I'm still waiting for it, and I'm not holding my breath, either. And the idiot who tried his luck? well he's still out there - he lives in the next street to me. His dad says, "It's got nowt (nothing in Lancashire dialect) to do with me." This is the bloke who's brought him up.....so who's guilty?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/07/2007 12:05 am
Page 3 / 4