Clear all

SSG in my basement

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The Blow Up Dollz, an all-girl punky band from the SF area, stayed at our house this weekend. They had a gig nearby, and crashed in the basement afterward. It looked a lot like a sleep-over for 13 year-olds. After a slow morning and quiet afternoon sitting on the deck, the 4 girls (early 20s) went back to the basement to hammer out a song they had started to work on two days before. After about 45 minutes, I poked my head in - you could feel a bit of tension - and offered some beers. Then I went away, since I had nothing to offer at all (can't write, can't sing, male, old enough to be their father, etc). Another 30 minutes, and they announced that they were ready to play their new song for us. I turned on our mini-PA, loaned them Laura's Strat and my P-bass, and away they went. Their new song is more pop-py than usual, but that was intentional - trying to diversify their sound. They took a couple of tries to get the beginning right - who starts? They decided on a capella, followed by the full band crashing in - no subtle build-up here. After the second verse, the singer said - "the bridge goes here" and they rolled into the third verse, chorus, and ended. They played the whole song through one more time, and declared that they were done - no point in overworking it. Lots of high-fives and hugs - a complete song in 4-6 hours, written as a group. I was impressed.

So we went back to the deck, and I started to make dinner. Two of the girls came dancing in - "We've got the bridge! We've got the bridge!" And the sang it a capella in the kitchen. There was much rejoicing. The rest of us admitted to being impressed, and we were able to relax during our dinner, laughing through the evening.

Sorry no pix - they were in their jammies most of the day. It was a fun visit, and we wish them success in the near future.

PS: SSG = Sunday Songwriters Group here on GN, and this happened on a Sunday.

Posted : 13/07/2009 3:36 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

That is COOL Dan

Let's hope this song is a BIG HIT for the girls. Then you can tell people it was written
in your basement. Nobody will believe you but you'll know :twisted:

they were in their jammies most of the day.

Jammin' In Your Jammies?????????

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 13/07/2009 9:36 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Then you can tell people it was written
I don't believe him NOW . . . I mean . . . who keeps blow up dollz in their basement!?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 13/07/2009 10:41 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Wow that's really kewl, i really gotta clean up my basement.

#4491....

Posted : 13/07/2009 11:34 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

20-something hot chicks jamming in the basement in their jammies??? You my friend are living a dream LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 14/07/2009 12:53 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

20-something hot chicks jamming in the basement in their jammies??? You my friend are living a dream LOL.

And no pics to share with the rest of us?! I think it was all a dream! :P

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/07/2009 10:05 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

That is COOL Dan

Let's hope this song is a BIG HIT for the girls. Then you can tell people it was written

John

Actually, we have a video recording of the song, but we can't post it without their permission. I'll sort through my daughter's pix to see if there is anything I can post.

Posted : 14/07/2009 12:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Actually, we have a video recording of the song, but we can't post it without their permission.

So....you keep it till they're rich and famous, then you accidenatally discover "The Basement Tape".....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/07/2009 9:06 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That's a very cool story.

Thanks for sharing!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/08/2009 7:18 pm