Skip to content
Third time lucky? U...

Notifications
Clear all

Third time lucky? UK Get-together? 2008?

150 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Hehehehe, this is looking really daunting to me, a beginner guitarist :oops:

Anyway, i can try, and ive only ever solo'd on the a minor pentatonic. Just give me the link to some songs ASAP so i can get learning, some electric tabs and some chords for acoustic will do me fine!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 28/01/2008 7:31 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey don't panic Wattsiepoops!!!

I'm sure that everyone who turns up will at different levels of ability. I'm nearly in my mid 50's (18 till I die though!) and I've only been playing for about 4 years. Still learning scales and struggling with barre chords, but I can provide a good driving rhythm to a good many songs.

One thing I've found having done a few open mics is that guitarist's absolutely love sharing their skills an knowledge with others. I don't think I've ever met one who would ridicule or shame a fellow learner. It's amazing how much you pick up from others and what they learn from you too. One thing about guitar is even the likes of Clapton are still learning and just look at his experience and skills.

So come along and have a ball. I can promise you will be in the groove in no time.

I can't wait as I just want to be able to plug my acoustic into my amp and turn it up to 11(Damn! it only goes to 10!) and meet some the guys I've been talking guitar with on GN over the past few years.

All the best

Chris,

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 28/01/2008 6:50 pm
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Hehehehe, this is looking really daunting to me, a beginner guitarist :oops:

The perfect opportunity to learn something from others. More reasons to be exited than worried :)

Posted : 28/01/2008 9:48 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I am excited :D Its just gonna be weird if ya know what i mean! Ill get some simple songs learned then ill be fine!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 29/01/2008 7:27 am
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Not sure how I've missed this thread (could be the new business chewing all your time - wife's voice) - anyway, I'll try to keep that weekend open, although my musical contribution will be limited to say the least. It will be fun to put faces to names and listen to how good a guitar can sound when it's not being mauled by my mitts!

I shall approach She Who Must Be Obeyed for an exit pass and report back - if I'm still alive ...

David

Posted : 31/01/2008 2:38 pm
(@davidhodge)

I shall approach She Who Must Be Obeyed for an exit pass and report back - if I'm still alive ...

David

It's great to see a descendant of old Horace here on the Forums! :wink: I hope "She" gives you a free pass for the weekend. Does she sing? You might bring her along!

Peace

Posted : 31/01/2008 3:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, I should have some news later this week about the hotel/venue - I've just had a lot of things to deal with at the moment.

Things have truly and irrevocably broken down betweem me and the Mrs....now it's a case of sorting out who gets what, arguing about who bought what CD (duh - The Bee Gees are hers, led Zep are mine...she can keep the Daniel O'Donnel and the Russell watson and Abba and Corrs and Neil Sedaka....

"And what about the books?" she said.....as I spluttered into my tea. "You don't OWN any books," sez I - "you've never read a book in your life!"

"Well," says she, "our Jason bought me that Sharon Osbourne book at Xmas...."

Yeah, right, that's going to be a sticking point.......I'll hold out for my share of that one!

sad that it's got to this situation, but at least my lovely daughter, Kayleigh (yes, she was named after the Marillion song!) has told me she'll put me up for a while.....then again, her and Marilyn never got on, chalk and cheese....

Sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/02/2008 11:14 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm really sorry to hear that, Vic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/02/2008 11:20 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yeah, I second Ricochet's comment. Commiserations mate, although its good to hear you've got somewhere to crash while all this gets sorted.

If you need any help re organising the jam, just get in touch. I'll pm you my details.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 13/02/2008 12:44 am
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Make sure you guys record...that's my input! :D

Posted : 13/02/2008 3:17 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I hear ya Vic. Went through that once and it wasn't pretty. Still, it will be nice to have a GN jam later in the year.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 14/02/2008 12:52 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Vic, these things happens. I'm sorry to hear it too. If it is definitely broken, now it is time for us, your friends.

If I can help, I'm here! :D

Posted : 14/02/2008 8:48 am
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hear about that Vic. I had no idea. :(

Lee

Posted : 15/02/2008 12:40 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Sorry to read that, Vic.

In my own capacity of divorcee-to-be, I know what you mean with the CDs. All the 80s crap is his, and all the cool stuff is mine.

:twisted: :twisted:

Anyway, good luck with everything.

Posted : 15/02/2008 5:07 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

It seems this thread has died in my few months of absence because of a technical problem. Get it back up and get this weekend sorted guys!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 25/04/2008 1:06 pm
Page 8 / 10