Clear all

TR bought a keyboard!

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I couldn't resist. Sam's Club had a Yamaha keyboard on sale for $114 including the AC adapter and a stand. The same board in Musicians Friend is $159, no adapter, no stand. It has 61 touch sensitive keys and doesn't sound or play half bad. So far I've got the intro to Mr. Crowly down and am working on BOC's Astronomy.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 08/03/2008 5:17 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE313-Electronic-Portable-Keyboard?sku=702175

This is the one. I'm having fun, the keyboard kind of makes theory make more sense. :D

Posted : 08/03/2008 5:20 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Oh No! there goes the neighborhood!
j/k congrats and welcome to the Yamaha Keyboard family! :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 08/03/2008 10:18 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

'Nother Yamaha keyboard owner here - though mine's only a cheap POS, it's got a lot of different sampled instruments.... some good, some not-so-good, some bloody awful! But I can get a decent piano and organ tone out of it, and that's all I'm bothered about really!

Have you tried it through an amp - something like a Black Panel setting - with a fair bit of gain? Look out Jon Lord.....if you like Deep Purple at all, you'll love that sound!

Have fun with the latest toy, TR, but don't neglect the rest of the (BIG!) family.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/03/2008 10:50 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way to go, TR! You'll have a ball with that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/03/2008 3:58 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Was that a gift for completing 1000 posts ?

Nah, j/k.

Enjoy the keys, when you are not busy with your guitars.

Posted : 08/03/2008 6:42 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Gee, I never thought of that..... Sure, why not! :lol: I have the keyboard plugged into my son's old bass amp. It is an Electar 60 watt bass amp and it sounds mighty fine. There is a 12" speaker, no horn or tweeter but that would be nice if it had one. It will do for now though. I could go through my PA as well but I like the idea of the keyboard amp. I'm working right now and have to work quite a few days coming up, but I'm looking foreward to fooling with this thing some more. I would never neglect my guitars though.

Posted : 09/03/2008 3:57 am
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i've been wanting a keyboard. craigslist always has a lot of people posting their old ones. maybe....

Posted : 09/03/2008 3:00 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

i've been wanting a keyboard. craigslist always has a lot of people posting their old ones. maybe....

Why to get old when you can have brand new yamahas in 200-250 $ range online ?

Posted : 09/03/2008 3:34 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Nice keyboard I also own a Yamaha keyboard-very good for the money :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 09/03/2008 3:57 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Why to get old when you can have brand new yamahas in 200-250 $ range online ?

I paid £20 ($40) for my keyboard over 10 years ago - it's been dropped, stood on, had tea and various alcohols knocked over on it, and it's still going. If you're thinking of buying a keyboard, why not start at the cheap end of the scale and work your way up? You can always upgrade...

Personally, I'm glad I bought a cheap 2nd hand one - my keyboard skills have never developed very much, I spend too much time playing guitar. I can get all the sounds I want or need out of the 'board I've got - so for me, upgrading would be purely a cosmetic exercise, and a waste of money.

BTW, when I'm buying any musical instrument or accessory, I always factor durability into the equation - that's part of the reason I bought a Telecaster. I'm one of the clumsiest people in the world, and I also hate complicated technology - so simplicity has to be a factor, too.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/03/2008 4:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Congrats, TR! Keyboards are fun! I used to have one until it started smoking one day! :shock: I've been threatening to get another one, but , I guess I haven't threatened enough. Have fun with it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 09/03/2008 6:44 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the keyboard.

I picked one up a couple of years ago....haven't gotten really serious about it yet.....soon.

Posted : 10/03/2008 1:00 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nice keyboard!!

I have an old Casio thinger that has been around about 20+ years. First one that actually had somewhat of weighted keys.

When I realized the learning curve involved to write my songs on the keyboard, I whole heartedly embraced the guitar, since I had some what of a clue as to what I was doing with that instrument. :twisted:

Enjoy your new ivories.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 10/03/2008 1:24 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I used to have one until it started smoking one day! :shock:

Marlboros or Camels? Yeah, I would of threw it out too. :D

Camels...... Unfiltered! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 10/03/2008 3:28 pm
Page 1 / 2