Clear all

TR goes to the fair!

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Last Friday my son and I went to the New York State Fair. We saw FogHat and BOC ........ twice! They were playing the Cevrolet court, the free concert, and it was awsome. The 4pm show, BOC opened up and then FogHat played. At night FogHat came back and BOC closed the thing out. We had draft beer and Dinosaur BBQ while we waited for the shows to start. The weather was perfect, you couldn't ask for more. We even had a couple special treats. Buck Dharma and BOC's drummer joined FogHat's drummer on the drums for Slow Ride. The night cap's version of Don't Fear the Reaper featured Buck's wife on vocals. Apparently she accompanied them as she is origionally from Rome New York and they were staying with her family. Eric Bloom mentioned how he went to college just down the road in Geneva for 6 years. It got lots of laughs as it is a 2 year school. He said he was on the 6 year plan. You have to remember that this was the Vietnam era and staying in school might keep you out of the draft. Their current bass player is Rudy Sarzo. AWSOME! Their last bass guy is manning the keys and guitar as Alan Lanier is in ill health. I haven't read if he has passed or not but when we saw him last year he did not look well, I suspect cancer. I can't find anything about him anywhere. Anyhow, this guy is a music major and my son, the bass player, was dissapointed with his performance when we saw them last year. After hearing him on the guitar and keys I'd have to say bass is not his main instrument. He is very talented. He can really play the guitar and keys. Rudy Sarzo did not leave my son dissapointed. His jaw was dragging on the ground. :lol: He is like, this guy is good! I said yeah, do you realize who he is? :lol: Well, just had to share that. Classic Rock heaven in upstate New York!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/09/2007 12:27 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a day-and-a-half, TR! Don't know anything about the NY state fair, but I'm guessing it's BIG? Guess you and young Thunderfingers had a good old time - sounds like my idea of a great day, anyway!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2007 12:41 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ahhh, the NY State Fair. Gennies on draft, I suspect? I remember the days....... 50 cents for a 16 ounce cup......

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:27 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Sorry Roy, but Blue Light at $3.00 a cup. :lol: Those days are gone.

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:55 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Progress. BAH! :x :x

And what is "Dinosaur BBQ"? I don't remember that at all.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:04 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

GREAT food!!!

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:08 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Looks good. Gonna have to try next time I'm near one. I LOVE Memphis and Texas style BBQ. I do it at home. Fed 43 on Sunday. The local BBQ places don't do it very well.

Roy

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:22 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

SOUNDS AWESOME TR ..

Can I come next time huh can huh please huh ? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 05/09/2007 10:06 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Sounds like you had a great time.
never heard of the Dino BBQ tho. Have they competed at the American Royal BBQ contest here?

#4491....

Posted : 05/09/2007 10:20 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sounds like a great time.

They carry "Dinosaur BBQ Sauce"at our local IGA store
I will try a bottle on your recommendation.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:20 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

TR, glad you were able to catch B.O.C. this summer. Rudy was on bass when my son & I saw them here in Wisconsin too. That man can play bass! :twisted: His "monster bass solo" fit in perfectly with Godzilla! B.O.C. still has it! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/09/2007 3:05 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I remember seeing BOC. Foghat and ZZ Top in the 70's, they all came out and played the encore together..there was like a million guys playing guitar on stage, but I can't remember what song they played it was either Don't fear the reaper or Slow Ride..I think it was slow ride. I still have the BOC's drummers sticks from a show a few years ago when I was working at a club in Hartford.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/09/2007 11:53 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

TR, glad you were able to catch B.O.C. this summer. Rudy was on bass when my son & I saw them here in Wisconsin too. That man can play bass! :twisted: His "monster bass solo" fit in perfectly with Godzilla! B.O.C. still has it! 8)

Dan
You know, when I heard he played with Ozzy, I was like .. so what! So I researched it. Yeah, he played with Ozzy ...... but he played with Ozzy and Randy Rhodes! That makes a difference to me. 8) He can be heard on the "Tribute" album. He also played with White Snake along side Steve Via. He has played along with some great guitarists! Randy Rhodes ....... Stev Via and now Buck Dharma!

Posted : 14/09/2007 3:49 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

BOC always put on a great show.

When I saw them many years ago, they had put lights inside the drums and when the drum solo was going, the lights inside the shells would trigger when hit. Very cool.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/09/2007 3:31 pm