Another Injury.........

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I broke my right index finger nail!

Actually, I'm quite proud of myself - as the world's clumsiest, er, person, you'd think letting me loose with an electric saw on a tree would be a recipe for disaster....but no, the tree's down, and I still have the same number of limbs I started out with! I know because I counted them all when I'd finished.....

Oh, there is another small injury - a blister on my right thumb. But that's not going to stop me playing guitar......

I'm pissed off about that nail, though. If only they'd make gardening gloves with fingers long enough for me......the nail broke by being squeezed to the very end of the finger on the glove....,

I wonder could I sue B&Q for damages?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:39 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Please don't do that again.
you scared me :shock:
i thought "oh great, now he's really gone and done it"
glad to hear you aren't injured. :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:46 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Please don't do that again.
you scared me :shock:
i thought "oh great, now he's really gone and done it"
glad to hear you aren't injured. :wink:

Not HALF as glad as I am!

Vic

(Still pissed off about that nail, though. I HATE using plecs - now I'm going to have to use one, for at least a couple of weeks.)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:54 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Maybe get a blister on your little finger,
Maybe get a blister on your thumb."

:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:11 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet's on to something. You gotta come up with an clumsy-injury song. It can be country. Put that Tele to use!

Glad it's nothing major. Now go to bed before something BAD happens. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:25 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

"Maybe get a blister on your little finger,
Maybe get a blister on your thumb."

:lol:

I have no intentions of moving any microwave ovens.....I'd probably drop it on my foot, and break a finger lifting it off......

Vic

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:26 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Glad to hear you are ok. Question is...Whast has Marilyn been doing all this time? Helping out I hope!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 05/09/2007 4:11 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Forget the fingerstyle thes days, time for plectrum practicing!

Take care Vic! :D

Posted : 05/09/2007 9:59 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hey Vic

Maybe something like this would help.

I searched Safety Gloves Extra Large

http://www.beedosafety.com/GloveOptions.htm

Stay Safe

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 05/09/2007 1:16 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think what Vic needs is Kevlar gloves. They won't stop a bullet, but they'll stop most sharp edged objects.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:07 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

:shock: I saw the topic heading, then saw Vic as the poster and thought, "Oh no! Not again!" :shock:

Glad you made it through in one piece Vic! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/09/2007 2:52 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, Vic, finger picks are pretty nice. I've gotten right fond of the Dunlop plastic ones. As shipped, they're torture devices that allow no blood flow to the fingertips and would cause them to turn black and fall off if left on too long. What I do is put them in a glass of water, stick it in the microwave till it boils, dip the pick out with a spoon, jam the boiling hot (thus softened) pick on my index finger and immediately thrust said index finger under the stream of cold water that I've thoughtfully previously turned on so I can save myself from scalding my fingertip off, cool and set the pick to size. If I do it all with reasonable alacrity, I can accomplish it with minimal pain, no permanent damage, and have perfectly fitting picks that will stay in place and be comfortable in use. If I use only my index finger, which is the largest, I don't have to worry about which pick fits which finger, they're interchangeable. I do love my metal fingerpicks, but they have a bad habit of unexpectedly flying away if I get too enthusiastic in my playing, and that can be embarrassing in front of an audience. Broken nails are a bigger problem, and regrowing them takes a lot longer than putting on another fingerpick or even chasing down and retrieving a flyaway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/09/2007 3:10 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

BTW, Vic, finger picks are pretty nice. I've gotten right fond of the Dunlop plastic ones. As shipped, they're torture devices that allow no blood flow to the fingertips and would cause them to turn black and fall off if left on too long. What I do is put them in a glass of water, stick it in the microwave till it boils, dip the pick out with a spoon, jam the boiling hot (thus softened) pick on my index finger and immediately thrust said index finger under the stream of cold water that I've thoughtfully previously turned on so I can save myself from scalding my fingertip off, cool and set the pick to size. If I do it all with reasonable alacrity, I can accomplish it with minimal pain, no permanent damage, and have perfectly fitting picks that will stay in place and be comfortable in use. If I use only my index finger, which is the largest, I don't have to worry about which pick fits which finger, they're interchangeable. I do love my metal fingerpicks, but they have a bad habit of unexpectedly flying away if I get too enthusiastic in my playing, and that can be embarrassing in front of an audience. Broken nails are a bigger problem, and regrowing them takes a lot longer than putting on another fingerpick or even chasing down and retrieving a flyaway.

if there is ever an opening, there's work for you down Guantanamo way :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 05/09/2007 3:26 pm
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

I'm new around here, Vic, but I noticed that you've even had an obituary on the forum in the recent past! Happily it seems that the reports of your demise are somewhat exaggerated - and no picking/fretting fingers lost in this one either. Although even if you had it wouldn't all be over - one of the Black Sabbath guitarists (forget which) has played for decades with leather finger-extensions because he lost the tips of two fingers as a teenager.

Ricochet's suggestion involving boiling water and soft tissue might have been a little ill-considered given your reputation ... :D

David

Posted : 05/09/2007 5:14 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Glad to hear it's nothing serious, Vic; I was a bit worried when I saw yet *another* accident report from the Lewis household! :lol:
I have no intentions of moving any microwave ovens.....I'd probably drop it on my foot, and break a finger lifting it off......

Funny you should say that; similar story! I dropped a 19" TFT PC monitor on my foot today. Hurt like hell, luckily nothing's broken. Then I had the bad luck of taking a chunk out of my right-hand ring finger, right over the middle joint. Now I can't bend it without it bleeding all over my guitar :( Hope this trend doesn't continue - I'd rather leave the accidents to the experts (Vic, that's you mate :lol: )

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 05/09/2007 5:36 pm
Page 1 / 2