Unrelatet to Guitars or Music

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Pardon me for asking this, but can whoever run this BB confirm or deny that it is a rewrite of an old public domain BB software called YaBB (written in perl) - This looks very simular but written in PHP. Is the software for the board in the public domain as I'm thinking of starting a BB (completely unrelated to music). I still have the old YaBB perl source, but it is rather messy is some places, this seems neat and clean.

-Sik

Posted : 21/12/2006 3:58 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm nothing to do with GN, but I can tell you definitively that the forum software is phpBB (I've used it before and am familiar with it anyway, but the credits at the bottom of each page are a dead giveaway :wink:). As far as I know it used some of the same ideas and algorithms as Yabb (don't they all?), but I think it was rewritten from scratch. A complete history can more than likely be found be found at http://www.phpBB.com , maybe in the forums if not specifically, or maybe just 'out there' in general. There's only really three php forums worth running, and this is one of them. Shouldn't be too hard to track down info :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 21/12/2006 4:05 pm
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you, Misanthrope - you're an angel :-) That information was VERY useful :-)

-Sik

Posted : 21/12/2006 4:20 pm