40.2 K Views
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

great news! glad to hear he is awake.

#4491....

Posted : 09/10/2005 4:45 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They've given me a T-shirt just about every time I've gone. If they're all still around here somewhere (which I doubt), I should never have to buy a shirt again! I'll usually take a Diet Mountain Dew and maybe a cookie from the nice ladies at the blood bank.

I am so pleased to hear about Shaun's waking up. I was praying for him in church this morning.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 09/10/2005 6:50 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That is outstanding news, John. (sniff)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 09/10/2005 8:46 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wonderful to hear that things are moving forwards John.

Great gesture with the strings Nick. Blood is always needed. I gave for many years but eventually got ruled out due to medications.

It's not a big deal to do, and if nothing else it's a good excuse to have a bit of time off and a good lie down for a few minutes.....

Cheers, Chris.

Posted : 09/10/2005 11:14 pm
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Okay everybody, I want to get this in perspective. I didn't think of it when I posted originally.

You would be doing a noble thing to give blood, way beyond anyone thinking you'd be mercenary enough to do it for a set of strings. So stop worrying about it.

Give blood for Shaun's sake. Give blood because it's the right thing to do. Give blood to save someone else's life.

Just think of the strings as the nurse coming up to you after and saying:

Can I get you some juice? Apple or Orange?
Cookie? Oatmeal Raisin or Chocolate Chip?
Strings? Medium or lights?

It's just a token. :D
Nick,

I think everyone realizes that it was said in the heat of the moment. I'm sure that NO ONE will expect a set of strings for doing what is the good and the moral thing to do. I certainly don't.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

Posted : 09/10/2005 11:44 pm
(@karla)
Estimable Member

Good to hear everything is going relatively well.
As to the blood giving, I've tried it several times and fainted several times =X
I do leave something for the Ronald McDonald houses every time I'm at McDonalds (there are those collection things..) Little gesture but yeah.
Great to read though how everone here can think about more than guitar playing.

Posted : 10/10/2005 7:53 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm scheduled for the dreaded needle prick this Friday after work. Then I have to gig that night. What the (eye yi yi) did I get myself into? :shock:

If you are giving away strings give them to someone who plays accoustic. (not that it isn't a great gift and the gesture honorable) I am not doing this for strings for me. I am doing it anyway.

Bish

Posted : 11/10/2005 12:39 am
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

I have three tattoos and was never turned down for giving blood. Although I can't do it now. Gulf War vets have been restricted from giving blood for quite awhile. I looked into it the other day at the local Red Cross and it was an emphatic No, sorry.

Weird. I'm a Gulf War vet, and they call me all the time for blood. And I'm a pretty routine type, too. And it didn't show up on the link Dagwood posted. Every local chapter is different, I guess. I'm going to have to look up the local Red Cross chapter here and see when I can get in there. Haven't bothered since I moved. But Celt, your experience has reminded me of the importance of this little ritual.

Sorry I haven't posted sooner on this, just came across it this evening while I was checking in on thing. My prayers, and the prayer of my current and former church will be with you and your family.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

Posted : 11/10/2005 2:44 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I just read your post. I can't even imagine the anxiety and heartache you and your family must be experiencing. It's wonderful to see that Shaun is making progress.
We'll pray for him and the doctors. Keep us informed of how things are going.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 11/10/2005 8:56 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Once Again Thank You for all your concern and support.

Shauns condition has been upgraded from Critical
to Serious and Stable. Each day we see small improvements
as he fights to heal from his injuries. The driver has been
charged with speeding and failure to stop for a pedestrian
Which is good enough for me because it proves what we knew
already. Shaun was doing the right thing and using the crosswalk
properly as he had been taught.

Last night my wife Karen and I attended our City Council meeting.
She got up and spoke of the need for improvements in safety and
speed enforcement on this street. I am so proud of her for doing
this. The last thing we want to see is some other family to have to
endure what we are going through.

I was prepared to speak at the meeting but she wanted to handle
it and did an excellent job.It is a shame that something like this has to happen to have people take notice of a bad situation but we will
make sure they do.

Shaun's Mom ( my youngest daughter Theresa) has been by Shaun's
side through all of this so her sister (Marianne) has taken on the task
of handling the press and communicating with family.
This is a hard job and she is working hard at it.

For our local newspaper's report go to:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/localnews/ci_3108122

I know I've said it before but I don't think I can say it enough
so once again Thank You

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 12/10/2005 1:09 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Somehow the fines just don't seem to be enough. At least he's showing remorse, according to the article, which is a good thing.

Bish

Posted : 12/10/2005 1:16 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I want to agree but at the same time a higher fine probably wouldnt have changed anything. People are always driving over the speed limits through my neighborhood, and I imagine I do it too without thinking. But something like this really makes you think and realize how quickly you can change or even end someones life by driving too fast or reckless.

I am so happy that Shaun is doing better. Sounds like an amazing kid. Also sounds like he has a wonderful family that steps up when he needs them. Keep up the great work.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/10/2005 1:23 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Just went and donated today, I had the nurse take my picture. :D Its been way to long since I've donated blood :oops: John, that's great news, lots of folks from my neck of the woods keeping your family in there thoughts.--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 12/10/2005 4:29 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way to go, Ken!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/10/2005 4:50 pm
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'm just now getting caught up a bit (have been very busy), and I'm glad to hear the little guy is awake. I hope his recovery isn't too long or painful.

When I was in elementry, the same thing happened to a kid in my class. He turned out alright after a bit of fixing up on his face and some time. I'm sure that's all it's going to take is time. Depending on what was affected, his speech may be a bit impared for a while, so be prepared for it just in case.

Just to add pretty much what everyone else has said, my family is pulling for him. The band is going to go down tomorrow and give blood as a group.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 12/10/2005 7:28 pm
Page 4 / 11